Switched CPU cooler - STOP 0x00000124 BSOD

Hello everyone. I just found my Thermalright Archon CPU Cooler and decided to do some clean up on my main rig and I have a few issues.

Here's my build and Temps
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Mobo: Asus P8P67 @ 28 celcius
CPU: i7 2600k @ 27celcius idle
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Archon
Ram: 2x 'Corsair XMS3 2gb DDR3 2000mhz' and 2x 'Corsair XMS3 4gb DDR3 2000mhz'.
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5750
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with all updates installed.

I removed the CPU, cleaned the old thermal paste and put on some new which I had to buy (cooler master essential something) and put it on. It went from 70 to 26 degrees hahaha :D
Anyway, I now have some weird problems (I have recently re-formatted too so I now have a clean windows 7 ultimate 64 install updated to latest available updates).

I did do some OC'ing on my CPU, ram and also GPU just for fun but reverted back to default.

I just tried playing some CS:Source and it went smooth for like 10 minutes then boom it went to boot screen and booted up and of course I ended up in the windows 7 recovery where you can choose "Start normally" etc.

I also have some audio interference\static\crackling\high pitch hissing noises on the on-board realtek audio.

I have no clue what's wrong. Maybe it's the RAM or perhaps the CPU?

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about switched cooler stop 0x00000124 bsod
  1. Did you remove the CPU itself, or just the old heatsink? If you removed the actual CPU, you may need to re-seat it. Also, inspect the pins to make sure you didn't damage anything or get a foreign object in the socket.

Also, verify that your heatsink is properly mounted with the proper amount of thermal compound.

Double-check that all devices are plugged in properly to their power and data (as appropriate) sources.

Good luck!
  2. Update: Now I don't see anything on the screen either. Monitor recognizes something and lights turn blue on the monitor but it's black.
  3. SOLVED: I had actaullly used the AMD backplate for the cpu cooler and so I created some inerference on the motherboard which caused a whole lot of instability issues and random bluescreens. I found the correct intel backplate and it works great now :)
  4. Good to hear you fixed it.. Yea always make sure you use the proper mounting bracket for the cooling solution
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cooling CPUs Systems