Sign in with
Your question

Switched CPU cooler - STOP 0x00000124 BSOD

Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2012 3:49:32 PM

Hello everyone. I just found my Thermalright Archon CPU Cooler and decided to do some clean up on my main rig and I have a few issues.

Here's my build and Temps
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Mobo: Asus P8P67 @ 28 celcius
CPU: i7 2600k @ 27celcius idle
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Archon
Ram: 2x 'Corsair XMS3 2gb DDR3 2000mhz' and 2x 'Corsair XMS3 4gb DDR3 2000mhz'.
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5750
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with all updates installed.

I removed the CPU, cleaned the old thermal paste and put on some new which I had to buy (cooler master essential something) and put it on. It went from 70 to 26 degrees hahaha :D 
Anyway, I now have some weird problems (I have recently re-formatted too so I now have a clean windows 7 ultimate 64 install updated to latest available updates).

I did do some OC'ing on my CPU, ram and also GPU just for fun but reverted back to default.

I just tried playing some CS:Source and it went smooth for like 10 minutes then boom it went to boot screen and booted up and of course I ended up in the windows 7 recovery where you can choose "Start normally" etc.

I also have some audio interference\static\crackling\high pitch hissing noises on the on-board realtek audio.

I have no clue what's wrong. Maybe it's the RAM or perhaps the CPU?

Thanks in advance.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 141 à CPUs
September 25, 2012 4:01:42 PM

Did you remove the CPU itself, or just the old heatsink? If you removed the actual CPU, you may need to re-seat it. Also, inspect the pins to make sure you didn't damage anything or get a foreign object in the socket.

Also, verify that your heatsink is properly mounted with the proper amount of thermal compound.

Double-check that all devices are plugged in properly to their power and data (as appropriate) sources.

Good luck!
September 25, 2012 5:43:28 PM

Update: Now I don't see anything on the screen either. Monitor recognizes something and lights turn blue on the monitor but it's black.
Related resources
September 26, 2012 12:00:53 AM

SOLVED: I had actaullly used the AMD backplate for the cpu cooler and so I created some inerference on the motherboard which caused a whole lot of instability issues and random bluescreens. I found the correct intel backplate and it works great now :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2012 12:20:53 AM

Good to hear you fixed it.. Yea always make sure you use the proper mounting bracket for the cooling solution
!