Sign in with
Your question

HOMEBuild need expert advice!

Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2012 3:58:06 PM

hey sorry for this very generic post..
I am new to Home-builds and need the help
Here are my suggested components (i am looking to overclock once i learn more about it) and i would like to go for a second
g-card down the line

cpu i7 3770k (
mobo Maximus v formula (i like the on board audio but i am still open to suggestion)
SSD 128GB OCZ Vertex 4
HDD 3000GB Seagate Barracuda 7200
BR LG Electronics Blu-ray Super Multi LG BH10LS38 Lightscribe
G-card (MSI N670GTX-PE2GD5/OC) One for now and will definatly sli later ( taken into acout for the power supply)
Ram 16 G 1600 (any suggestions) ?
PSU ? ( value for money)
Cpu cooler for OC ?? ( suggestions value for money)

Cases : so far ive gotten a little stuck, initially the mobo seem to be too big however its not a full Eatx and has the following dimensions 12 inch x 10.1 inch ( 30.5 cm x 25.7 cm ) so some people said it can fit in some atx case but im not sure which ones?

Basically i am not fussed when in comes to aesthetics of the system so i dont give crap about matching colours however my goals are to have SLI (in the near future, to learn to overclock cpu and so on, windows 8 ready and good audio.. I am not stuborn and would like suggestion on any system change. if you dont think its worth it let me know. ohh and anything that makes oc safer or easier let me know

thanking you in advance

S.K

September 25, 2012 3:59:17 PM

ohh and saving a buck or two where i can would be great obviously without to much quality compromising
Related resources
September 25, 2012 4:40:03 PM

Hi. I made you a build which is basicly an upgrade from TheBigTroll's second build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($184.50 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($103.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($387.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $1392.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-25 12:39 EDT-0400)

It's faster, more future proof and cheeper.
September 25, 2012 4:52:56 PM

1: x79 isnt needed. you dont need quad channel ram nor the extra pci-e lanes provided
2:liquid cooling is dumb unless you do a full loop
3: there are much better x79 boards than the msi
4: i find caviar blck drives overpriced
5: lol a 80 dollar case in a 1000+ dollar build. get something higher end
6: you dont need the 950w
September 25, 2012 10:24:03 PM

im not just gaming i will also be doing some fluid dynamic simulations and will be using multiple screens for CAD drawing like Solid works and so one.. i was also curious if i could actually get the gpu to run the simulations due to there better maths calc speed but thats just an after thought..
September 25, 2012 10:48:51 PM

fluid dynamic sims need quite a bit of ram.. and i would like to have a 4 speaker and one base speaker sounds system ( nothing special) any changes you guys would make to your suggested build and what do you guys think about the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB.. the germans seem to like it.

thanks so far.. i appreciate the time
September 25, 2012 11:08:55 PM

any reason not to go for the hdd i suggested ?
September 25, 2012 11:14:24 PM

TheBigTroll said:
1: x79 isnt needed. you dont need quad channel ram nor the extra pci-e lanes provided
2:liquid cooling is dumb unless you do a full loop
3: there are much better x79 boards than the msi
4: i find caviar blck drives overpriced
5: lol a 80 dollar case in a 1000+ dollar build. get something higher end
6: you dont need the 950w

Definitely agree with all of this - $80 case on a $1k+ build makes no sense. Especially also agree about liquid cooling - use the real thing or don't use it at all.

Quote:
fluid dynamic sims need quite a bit of ram.. and i would like to have a 4 speaker and one base speaker sounds system ( nothing special) any changes you guys would make to your suggested build and what do you guys think about the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB.. the germans seem to like it.

I'd personally go for the Z77X-UD4TH. Same specs as the UD5H but with added Thunderbolt capability.

Quote:

Vertex 4 is fine, I'm kind of on the fence about it. Go for a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830, and you'll most likely never use 3TB. Get 1TB and you can always add another drive or two later on.
September 25, 2012 11:56:07 PM

any advice on a surround sound system nothing too fancy (do i need a sound card)
thanks for the advice on the other stuff
September 26, 2012 12:14:49 AM

You can go with Logitechs for a 5.1 surround or Klipsch's for a 2.1 sound. A soundcard would be nice to have, but not absolutely necessary, you can go with Creative Soundblasters or Asus. Both of those manufacturers are very popular.
September 26, 2012 9:24:21 AM

so I could Use a 5.1 surround on most motherboards without really having to get a card ?
September 26, 2012 10:44:43 AM

you dont need a sound card
September 26, 2012 5:11:34 PM

xunicronx said:
You can go with Logitechs for a 5.1 surround or Klipsch's for a 2.1 sound. A soundcard would be nice to have, but not absolutely necessary, you can go with Creative Soundblasters or Asus. Both of those manufacturers are very popular.

A sound card just plain isn't needed - most of the time the onboard audio will work fine. I'd take a Klipsch setup over a Logitech one any day of the week.
September 27, 2012 9:38:55 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Definitely agree with all of this - $80 case on a $1k+ build makes no sense. Especially also agree about liquid cooling - use the real thing or don't use it at all.

Quote:

I'd personally go for the Z77X-UD4TH. Same specs as the UD5H but with added Thunderbolt capability.

Quote:

Vertex 4 is fine, I'm kind of on the fence about it. Go for a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830, and you'll most likely never use 3TB. Get 1TB and you can always add another drive or two later on.

what water cooling would you use and why compared to the suggested one
September 27, 2012 10:59:00 AM

we dont recommend watercooling unless its custom. nothing more.

if you are not doing custom, the noctua nh-d14 is the easiest way to get the best temps. if you hate the colour, there is a phanteks heatsink also waiting. its a bit louder but performs a bit better and costs a bit more

if you plan on a custom loop, something like this will do the job. has everything you need. just add 2 fans. id suggest something like corsair sp120 quiet editions or noctua nf-f12s
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14182/ex-wat-181/XSPC...
!