Upgrade Video card or Cpu/Mobo?

antecfan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I am looking to upgrade my system, but the problem is that my motherboard is PCIe 2.0, I'm planning on waiting for the 660ti or even the 660, will there be a dramatic performance decrease? or should I go ahead and upgrade the cpu/mb. My budget for either case would be around $400 max, and I need to get the parts at Frys electronics, if you have any good links about reviews on pcie3.0 cards running on 2.0 please let me know, Thank you!!!

MSI Fuzion
AMD Phenom 955
8 Corsair Vengeance
Corsair HX630 Watts

Solution
Changing the CPU/mobo will help a bit with BF3, it likes fast, efficient, CPUs after all, but I think you'll get better value with a faster card, and you'll certainly be able to pick up something faster while staying well under $400.
Right now, I'd follow your plan and wait to see how the 660 series pans out before making a decision, though.

antecfan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

I forgot about the video card, its a geforce gtx 460se, this thing laggs too much in explosions.

antecfan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Samsung Syncmaster 2033SB, I play bf3, planning on plying Guild Wars 2, my max resolution right now is 1600x900 lol.

Changing the CPU/mobo will help a bit with BF3, it likes fast, efficient, CPUs after all, but I think you'll get better value with a faster card, and you'll certainly be able to pick up something faster while staying well under $400.
Right now, I'd follow your plan and wait to see how the 660 series pans out before making a decision, though.

Solution