Sign in with
Your question

I5 3550k for MMO gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
February 8, 2013 3:30:33 PM

So far people on this thread told me I5 3570k is a relatively good choice.

But I would have to change my Motherboard to another one.
I had found this one : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6813128582
Would it be a good choice for the intel chip?
Would it work for future Amd processors?

I ask so much but I don't want to spend 350 bucks if I'm not absolutely sure it will finally give me the possibilty for the next years to not rage at how bad my comp run mmos.

It would be fun if i could find a motherboard running both type of cpus because we never know in the future Amd might really make a gamer cpu lol.

Also, is there a better mmo gaming cpu than this one in relatively similar prices (Be it amd even if I doubt it could)?

More about : 3550k mmo gaming

a c 316 à CPUs
a c 245 V Motherboard
February 8, 2013 3:40:57 PM

I think you have analyzed your situation correctly.
It seems that multiplayer games like BF3 need lots of compute power when there are a large number of participants.

There is no 3550K, you are thinking of a 3570K which is in the $220 range.
It is as about good as it gets for gaming today, regardless of price,and will likely be viable for severable years.

You will want a Z77 based motherboard to enable you to overclock from the stock 3.4 to about 4.3.
m
l
February 8, 2013 3:47:25 PM

MY actual motherboard is this:
http://ca.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G45.html how do i know if its z77 bazed?
Would overclock make a huge difference? (I'm not certain of overclocking if its not absolutely needed)

And yes it was the I5 3570k, I made a mistake.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2013 3:49:37 PM

Arcanastenebrae said:
I'm searching a new CPU to finally not be ultra bottlenecked in massively multiplayer games.
I mean MY GPU is a GTX 660ti which runs skyrim modded at ultra without much trouble (45+ fps most of time).
So I'm thinking my fx-6100 is the problem.

For example in tera i get average of 20 fps and often lest when battling, or running, etc. It doesnt increases very much when downing all the graphics to crap. Same thing for guild wars 2.
So it has to be my Cpu.

Not a memory problem or ssd problem I checked.

So if I was to get a I5 3550k, woudl I fix that fps problem in mmos?
If anyone that has a similar setup see this, (I mean not my fx but the I5) Can he drop a small word about how is performances are in mmos like tera in guild wars?

I ask so much but I don't want to spend 230 bucks if I'm not absolutely sure it will finally give me the possibilty for the next years to not rage at how bad my comp run mmos. THanks for the insight everyone!

Also, is there a better mmo gaming cpu than this one in relatively similar prices?

MMORPG are a weird bunch as your connection to the server is often as important (if not more) then your CPU. While games like BF3 may take advantage of four cores, most MMORPG want cores that can process information fast on at least two cores. Something AMD CPUs (even quadcores) lack compared to their intel counterparts. As you can see below, an intel dual core can keep up with and pass an AMD FX-8 in GW2. Your best bet would be OC your FX CPU.

Four physical cores appear ideal, based on our results from the Sandy Bridge design. Sandy Bridge-E doesn't seem to introduce any benefit at all. Intel's dual-core, Hyper-Threaded Core i3 and dual-core Pentium are notably slower, though they still embarrass the eight-core AMD FX at 3 GHz.

The six- and eight-core FX processors perform fairly similarly, while the quad-core FX-4000-series is quite a bit slower. Remember, though, that the eight-core chip actually consists of four Bulldozer modules. The six- and four-core parts feature three and two modules, respectively. Each module involves notable resource-sharing, which likely affects performance.
m
l
a c 316 à CPUs
a c 245 V Motherboard
February 8, 2013 3:51:52 PM

Good idea.
You could try overclocking.
If it helps, you will have confirmed that lack of cpu is your main problem.

If it does not help enough, and you need to change the cpu, a 3570K will require a different motherboard.
You current motherboard supports amd cpu's only.

A Z77 chipset is required to overclock the 3570K
You can filter on newegg on Z77 to get a list of suitable candidates.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2013 4:07:56 PM

just to make sure, are all cores of your fx6100 are enabled?
m
l
February 8, 2013 5:22:56 PM

butremor said:
just to make sure, are all cores of your fx6100 are enabled?

They are all enabled.

Overclocking doesn't help enough
m
l
February 10, 2013 5:01:42 AM

Just adding a quick reply to bump this year old post, incase some one playing tera comes by and gives his insight, and I need to know something else, my first poss is edited.
m
l
!