ashley

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

When i go to change my desktop picture and right click and go into properties
to change the display it is disabled, i mean everything is there i just
cannot use the scroll bar. it is like it is frozen. THEN on my desktop
currently displays a message sayin
SYSTEM STOPPED
system has been stopped due to a serious malfunction.
Spyware activity has been detected.

It is recommended to use spyware removal tool to prevent data loss.
Do not use the computer before all spyware removed.

OK now that is what is on my desktop and i cannot remove it i have used
anti-virus and everything, Spyware and everything and it is still there
please can someone please help me.

Thankyou
Ashley

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\ActiveDesktop

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\ActiveDesktop

Look in the right pane for a value called NoChangingWallPaper. If it exists, double click it and set its value to 0 (zero). Re-open the Desktop Properties. You should now be able to change the wallpaper. For the item that's on your desktop, while on the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop and go to the Web tab. Uncheck any web content there.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Ashley" <Ashley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC83BE69-3189-4CB3-BB67-23B44111876F@microsoft.com...
> When i go to change my desktop picture and right click and go into properties
> to change the display it is disabled, i mean everything is there i just
> cannot use the scroll bar. it is like it is frozen. THEN on my desktop
> currently displays a message sayin
> SYSTEM STOPPED
> system has been stopped due to a serious malfunction.
> Spyware activity has been detected.
>
> It is recommended to use spyware removal tool to prevent data loss.
> Do not use the computer before all spyware removed.
>
> OK now that is what is on my desktop and i cannot remove it i have used
> anti-virus and everything, Spyware and everything and it is still there
> please can someone please help me.
>
> Thankyou
> Ashley

ashley

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

i went to this one and the policies folder has been tampered with cause the
active desktop thing is not there so could i possibly copy the folder from
the HKEY_CURRENT_USER and replace the folder in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or
what can i possibly do to fix it cause this has not worked

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\ActiveDesktop
>
> and
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\ActiveDesktop
>
> Look in the right pane for a value called NoChangingWallPaper. If it exists, double click it and set its value to 0 (zero). Re-open the Desktop Properties. You should now be able to change the wallpaper. For the item that's on your desktop, while on the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop and go to the Web tab. Uncheck any web content there.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Ashley" <Ashley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC83BE69-3189-4CB3-BB67-23B44111876F@microsoft.com...
> > When i go to change my desktop picture and right click and go into properties
> > to change the display it is disabled, i mean everything is there i just
> > cannot use the scroll bar. it is like it is frozen. THEN on my desktop
> > currently displays a message sayin
> > SYSTEM STOPPED
> > system has been stopped due to a serious malfunction.
> > Spyware activity has been detected.
> >
> > It is recommended to use spyware removal tool to prevent data loss.
> > Do not use the computer before all spyware removed.
> >
> > OK now that is what is on my desktop and i cannot remove it i have used
> > anti-virus and everything, Spyware and everything and it is still there
> > please can someone please help me.
> >
> > Thankyou
> > Ashley

Just because its not there, is not a problem. It doesn't exist in HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, by default. These sub-keys and values are only created when the restriction is set. And this restriction can be per-user or per-machine.

Did the setting in question exist in HKEY_CURRENT_USER? Did you change it as instructed?

"Ashley" <Ashley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49C3EE95-7E94-4D6F-9879-228720E810A9@microsoft.com...
>i went to this one and the policies folder has been tampered with cause the
> active desktop thing is not there so could i possibly copy the folder from
> the HKEY_CURRENT_USER and replace the folder in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or
> what can i possibly do to fix it cause this has not worked
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\ActiveDesktop
>

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\ActiveDesktop
>>
>> and
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\ActiveDesktop
>>
>> Look in the right pane for a value called NoChangingWallPaper. If it exists, double click it and set its value to 0 (zero). Re-open the Desktop Properties. You should now be able to change the wallpaper. For the item that's on your desktop, while on the Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop and go to the Web tab. Uncheck any web content there.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Ashley" <Ashley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC83BE69-3189-4CB3-BB67-23B44111876F@microsoft.com...
>> > When i go to change my desktop picture and right click and go into properties
>> > to change the display it is disabled, i mean everything is there i just
>> > cannot use the scroll bar. it is like it is frozen. THEN on my desktop
>> > currently displays a message sayin
>> > SYSTEM STOPPED
>> > system has been stopped due to a serious malfunction.
>> > Spyware activity has been detected.
>> >
>> > It is recommended to use spyware removal tool to prevent data loss.
>> > Do not use the computer before all spyware removed.
>> >
>> > OK now that is what is on my desktop and i cannot remove it i have used
>> > anti-virus and everything, Spyware and everything and it is still there
>> > please can someone please help me.
>> >
>> > Thankyou
>> > Ashley

ashley

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Sorry Mate, i wasnt reading evrything, this thing has just been getting on my
nerves for days now but i found the problem which was located in the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER area in the policies folder. A file named wallpaper was in
there that had the message that was on my desktop in there and i deleted this
wallpaper file and now i have access to my desktop properties once again.
Thanks for all your help