Sign in with
Your question

Multi Monitor setup (cables)

Last response: in Components
February 8, 2013 5:06:45 PM

So I have 2 monitors, both only have VGA out, I have one of the connected through a VGA cable into a VGA-DVI adapter.

And so I want to connect my other monitor which is also VGA to my PC. I have tried a HDMI-VGA cable but it didn't work because my monitor didn't support HDCP.

My graphics card is a Gigabyte GTX 660, so the ports that I have available are: DVI-D (Dual link) (The DVI-I Dual link is already being used with a DVI-VGA adapter), HDMI and Display Port.

So in the end which adapter OR cable is the one that I should go for, I have a DVI-VGA cable in my mind, will that work?

Thanks for all the answers :) 
February 8, 2013 5:11:20 PM

Only an active HDMI-VGA adapter would work, passive ones would not. I would be looking to replace the monitors instead of finding an adapter that isn't going to be cheap. I can't stand to use a monitor through VGA any more, everything looks too fuzzy to me.

If you are dead set on getting an adapter, I've used startech products in the past with great success:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HD2VGAE-Adapter-Conv...

Also, you should have to use HDMI unless you have a special 660 without one of the DVI ports. Most of these cards have 2 DVI ports. You should be able to use 2 DVI-VGA cables or adapters to get the job done.
a c 76 C Monitor
February 8, 2013 5:11:30 PM

I think your dvi-vga cable will work fine in the dvi-d port.
Related resources
February 8, 2013 5:22:13 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
Only an active HDMI-VGA adapter would work, passive ones would not. I would be looking to replace the monitors instead of finding an adapter that isn't going to be cheap. I can't stand to use a monitor through VGA any more, everything looks too fuzzy to me.

If you are dead set on getting an adapter, I've used startech products in the past with great success:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HD2VGAE-Adapter-Conv...

Also, you should have to use HDMI unless you have a special 660 without one of the DVI ports. Most of these cards have 2 DVI ports. You should be able to use 2 DVI-VGA cables or adapters to get the job done.

I have 2 DVI ports but one of them supports analogs and the other one doesn't.

And I wont be looking on changing the monitor because its just an second monitor its not even the same size of my main display :p 
I will probably go for the 30€ active adapter xD

geofelt said:
I think your dvi-vga cable will work fine in the dvi-d port.

I contacted the store and they said that the cable woud only work on the DVI-I Dual link otherwise it would work. So its not for me :p 
February 8, 2013 5:24:38 PM

WaterGun said:
I have 2 DVI ports but one of them supports analogs and the other one doesn't.

So, you are still in the same boat. You need an active adapter. The startech adapter I linked above should work fine. It is an active adapter that uses the power from the HDMI port.
February 8, 2013 5:29:20 PM

iknowhowtofixit said:
So, you are still in the same boat. You need an active adapter. The startech adapter I linked above should work fine. It is an active adapter that uses the power from the HDMI port.

Ok, thank you very much :) 
February 8, 2013 5:33:48 PM

Btw does it matter that my monitor doesn't support HDCP? Is it relevant for that active HDMI-VGA adapter?
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2013 5:41:53 PM

not sure if this applies to vga but you can only run 2 digital outputs at the same time due to the timing pulse, an 'active' adaptor is required for the 3rd as it has its own pulse, AMD curiously allows for three out of the box I think.
February 8, 2013 5:43:30 PM

WaterGun said:
Btw does it matter that my monitor doesn't support HDCP? Is it relevant for that active HDMI-VGA adapter?

VGA connections are analog and are not compatible with HDCP.
February 8, 2013 5:53:09 PM

Ok so it will work fine :) 

Previously when I had my other graphics card I could have multi monitors easily because it had a VGA port :p 
And now I changed and I need to get a 30€ adapter xD...
February 8, 2013 6:18:20 PM

Nah... I will buy it locally, thanks anyway :D 
!