Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
This is my first build. So far I have:

Asus M599FX PRO R2.0
AMD FX-8350 4.0gHz
G Skill Ares 1866mHz 16GB (2x8GB)
MSI GeForce GTX 460 Twin Frozr II

Just need a PSU now.

Is this calculator is a reliable measure?
http://extreme.outervision.com/
It said minimum 526W and recommended 576W.

But I have been told to get a PSU anywhere from 550W to 750W from other sources. I will be buying a reputable brand, not a no-name, probably a Corsair, or a Seasonic. Just need some advice on wattage. I want to run SLI and possibly overclock in the future.

I'm in Canada. Looking to shop local so I can build this weekend. Just need advice on wattage, and maybe a bit of explanation too, since I've had such differing answers so far.

Found a great deal on a Corsair GS600. Think this would work? Reviews of this model?

Solution
For a system using two GeForce GTX 460 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 37 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase...
A calculator is only as good as the data you put into it, much of it unknowable.
What factor for capacitor ageing?
Quality of psu?
Your need for growth?
A good old fashioned rule of thumb is sufficient.
It is not wrong to overprovision a bit since a psu will consume only the wattage that is demanded of it.
Here is a handy chart that does the job:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
I would think that the corsair 600w would be fine.
And... you might want to check this chart to assess the psu quality:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

If your build is for apps like video editing then it is fine.

But, if it is for gaming, then you might want to reconsider.
1. Gaming is mostly dependent on the graphics card. You should spend more on that than the cpu. Perhaps twice as much.
2. AMD does not make very good gaming cpu's. Intel will usually be superior at every price point.
3. 8gb is fine for gaming, no game uses more than 2-3gb.

swizzlekiss

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
It's for everything, not just gaming. I'm cool with AMD. I'm going to upgrade my graphics card later. This one still looks and works great in my current build, and it's not that old yet.

I've got everything in that list, but my current power supply is less than 500W.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 460 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 650 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 37 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Corsair GS Series GS600 (SKU# 75-001181 / CP-9020012-NA), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 49 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than electrically sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 460 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode but it is deficient by two PCI Express supplementary power connectors so you'll have to resort to using a couple of dual 4-pin Molex peripheral to 6-pin PCIe adapter cables.

Power supplies with at least four PCI Express supplementary power connectors is more common with 750 Watt and greater capacities.

The following two 650 Watt power supplies have four PCI Express supplementary power connectors and are made by Seasonic for XFX:

The XFX 650W Core Edition Full Wired (Bronze) (P1-650S-NLB9), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and with two 6-pin and two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 460 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

XFX 650W PRO650W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze PSU for $69.99 CAD ($59.99 CAD After Mail In Rebate)
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59616&vpn=P1650SNLB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1312

The XFX 650W XXX Edition Semi Modular (Bronze) (P1-650X-XXB9), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 460 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

XFX 650W XXX Edition Semi Modular 12V 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze Certified for $99.99 CAD ($89.99 CAD After Mail In Rebate) P1-650X-XXB9
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=73043&vpn=P1%2D650X%2DXXB9&manufacture=XFX

Solution
Like i said, it all depends in the cards you'll want in the future, for a single 460 GTX, either the XFX 550W or the corsair will do, i don't recommend going with another 460GTX, it's not worth it, if you still can find one.
So if you want a new series from nvidia or amd up to the 670 or 7970 single card, either the XFX 550 core edition or Corsair GS 600 will do.
If you plan to do a sli setup of two 660/660 ti, get the psus ko888 mentioned.
If it's for a sli setup of two 670 or 680 GTX get the XFX 750 either the core, the black or xxx edition.

swizzlekiss

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for that info! I'm reading more about this now in the guide.

I know I got an older GPU. I will probably upgrade my card in the future when I do SLI, then toss the 460 in my old secondary rig. I just wanted to get the best of what I could afford right now, and leave myself room to grow.

It was easier picking out the rest of my components than this PSU! I'm learning lots, thanks guys.

TRENDING THREADS