Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New pc build 2012 - case, psu, memory and monitor choice

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 25, 2012 5:46:54 PM

:hello: 
I'm building a new computer and have not yet decided what case, memory modules and cpu cooler to use... maybe you have some input on the components?

Approximate Purchase Date: before xmas

Budget Range:
After looking at components I expect pricing to be something like this:
mboard $417
ram $333
cpu $417
case $333
ssd $333
raid1 disks 3TB x 2 $500
cpu cooler $133
video card $667
psu $333
monitor $667
Total $4 133

Buying monitor: maybe, maybe not (I have a Dell Ultrasharp 22 inch 2208 model at 1680x1050)

Computer primary usage: gaming (Battlefield 3, CS, COH, StarCraft, Arma 2 etc)
Secondary usage: vmware workstation virtual server images (so I need more than 8gb ram)
Computer should be quiet in 2d and in 3d great performance with not too much noise.

SLI: Maybe later but at first no...

I was looking at LGA2011 but LGA1155 seems to make more sense now since the top LGA2011 cpus are so expensive and I wanted a energy efficient computer so it's quiet in 2d.

Components I plan to have in the case:

Motherboard Asus Maximus V Formula LGA1155 Z77 e-atx (12” x 10.1” or 305mm x 257mm)

Cpu Intel Core i7-3770K

Cpu cooler either Corsair H50/60/70/100 or a tower cooler like Thermalright Venomous X silent edition or Prolimatech Genesis?

Memory Corsair DDR3 2133MHz 16gb 4x4 GB dim (unbuff 9-11-10-30 dominator platinum CMD16GX3M4A2133C9) – without fan on top (too noisy those memory fans IMHO)

OS drive OCZ Technology SSD 256gb vertex4 sataIII 6gb (VTX4-25SAT3-256G) (since 500gb is still too expensive)

Storage drives 2 x 3 TB something using raid 1 in software or hardware (secure storage of backup of OS drive and other data rarely used)

Video Asus GeForce gtx680 2gb pci-e Direct CU II Top (GTX680-DC2T-2GD5, overclocked and 3slot quiet cooled fan solution video card, since gtx690 is still too expensive)

Soundcard – is it really necessary? The sound card included on the motherboard seems good enough

PSU – antec if antec case, if not a good quality quiet and efficient approx. 700 watt psu like Seasonic platinum 860w (I might buy an extra gtx680 for sli later on)

Case – hard to decide:

Antec P280:
Looks great, has usb3 front ports and fits X-ATX 13.6” x 10.3” (345mm x 262mm) motherboard. Can use extra large quiet antec PSUs. Has enough room for Asus vga card and motherboard. It’s like my current antec P183 I think which is the most quiet case in 2d I ever tested, however it is much warmer than the foretress FT02 during gaming. Location of usb and headphone connectors are much better than on P183 because I have the computer on the floor. Manual switches for the case fans I’m not a big fan of. Better side mounted hard drives mount than the P183. I’m a bit worried the 3 fans included will be more noisy then the one fan in the P183.

Silverstone Raven RV03
Looks bad. Enough space for everything. Stupid usb port cover. Smart and cool with rotated motherboard though. Maybe too noisy the big fans but one of the best cooling performances? Should have enough space for both motherboard and vga.

Silverstone Fortress FT02 (revised)
Nice design but a bit big, more noisy than antec but much more efficient cooling. Would prefer fan control on the asus motherboard but it has only static settings. Should have enough space for both motherboard and vga. In the silentpc review this one is actually more quiet and colder than the Antec P280!

Important that motherboard fit, I think even though the ROG board is eatx it still fits in some ATX cases? I prefer medium size super mid tower cases like my current Antec P183. It needs to have front USB3 connectors, preferably directly connected to motherboard (not via loop to back usb3 ports), space for 3 harddisks and 1 blueray dvd player. I like nice discrete cases not lights and windows, silent efficiency is the most important.Best if the ASUS board can control fan speed on all fans for quiet 2d operation (I like the asus fan control). Must have space for the Asus 3 slot vga card (11.8” x 5.1” x 2.3”). For the 2 large mechanical drives it should have some form of dampening on the vibrations. I wish all cases had a HD dock at the top but that only seems to happen on the ugly gamer lights&windows cases.


Any comments on the components? Especially the memory, case and PSU are the hardest choices I think.

I also have a very hard time chosing between 120hz screen and high quality display, these seems to be the best in either category:

Benq xl2420T for 120hz/fps 1900 resolution TN panel
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2420t.htm
Dell U2711 or U2713HM IPS panel 2560 resolution
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm
(I dont like glossy screens, and I have to do work also not only gaming)


Some links about components:

Norwegian review of ROG motherboard http://www.hardware.no/artikler/asus-rog-maximus-v-form...

Corsair cpu coolers http://www.anandtech.com/show/5054/corsair-hydro-series...

Thermalright Venomous X silent edition cpu cooler review http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1198-page5.html (easier form factor)

Prolimatech Genesis CPU cooler review http://www.silentpcreview.com/prolimatech-genesis (potential problem with form factor and tall memory modules)

Antec P280 reviews http://www.silentpcreview.com/Antec_P280
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5090/antec-p280-when-enth...

SilverStone Raven RV03 reviews http://www.silentpcreview.com/Silverstone_Raven_RV03
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4501/silverstone-raven-rv...

SilverStone Fortress FT02 review http://www.silentpcreview.com/SilverStone_Fortress_FT02
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4620/silverstone-fortress...

norwegian test of memory on ROG card: http://www.hardware.no/artikler/corsair-dominator-plati...

ROG discussion about memory http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?22689-Maximus-...

Asus video card http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX680...

Asus ROG motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...

Old Seasonic x650 review http://www.silentpcreview.com/Seasonic_X650
Seasonic platinum 860w review http://www.anandtech.com/show/5464/seasonic-platinum-se...

More about : build 2012 case psu memory monitor choice

September 25, 2012 5:58:10 PM

That's a super awesome build you got there! :) 

As for the Case, I recommend you go for the P280, it looks much better than the others and honestly, that's all that matters (And USB 3.0 headers).

Monitor - if you're fine spending much on a monitor, get a Dell Ultrasharp (Any model) - All of them are amazing.

PSU - A 600w would do if it's a single GPU setup. Get a Corsair HX650. If you're going to SLI and want to be future proof - get the HX850.

The memory you selected is a beast already :) 
September 25, 2012 6:05:24 PM

Oh and get the Corsair H100 OR the Thermaltake Water 2.0
Related resources
September 25, 2012 6:23:01 PM

arzbhatia said:
Oh and get the Corsair H100 OR the Thermaltake Water 2.0


Absolutely not. The H100 isn't worth the money. Do not purchase an H100 or pretty much any closed liquid loop for that matter. If you're using liquid cooling, I can't stress this enough - go with a real radiator or not at all. The Thermaltake is better but seriously get a real loop.

Quote:
Memory Corsair DDR3 2133MHz 16gb 4x4 GB dim (unbuff 9-11-10-30 dominator platinum CMD16GX3M4A2133C9) – without fan on top (too noisy those memory fans IMHO)


Dominator RAM is overrated and very expensive. Plus you won't notice the speed difference between 2133 and 1600, and Intel will void your warranty as Ivy Bridge is rated for DDR3 1600.

Quote:
Soundcard – is it really necessary? The sound card included on the motherboard seems good enough


Sound cards are no longer necessary.

For that kind of budget I'd suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($103.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor PX-M3S Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($241.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 1050W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($211.82 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2145.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
September 26, 2012 3:35:38 PM

arzbhatia said:
Oh and get the Corsair H100 OR the Thermaltake Water 2.0


I have verified that there is space for the H100 in the Antec p280 and it looks very nice with top mounting of the radiator. This has the advantage of removing the existing 2 fans so there won't be too many fans creating too much noise. Silentpcreview states that for every extra fan the noise is usually increased by 3db so I was a bit worried about the antec p280 having 3 fans at the back (my current Antec p183 have one at the top and at the back I have put my Corsair H50? radiator and fan, cant remember exact model it was the first corsair water thing I think).

But I'm a bit worried that many people say the H100 can be very loud. On my existing pc I use the asus fan control to control the Corsair H50 radtior fan and this makes it very quiet for non over clocking and only a little bit noise for my 4ghz overclock (intel 930 cpu). However on the H100 it has built in fan control not sure how that works (kind of stupid with speed setting button inside the case). Many people suggests replacing the fans and I could do that too I guess. I'm not too concerned about price if the cooling costs less then $200.

However maybe the total efficiency noise vs performance would be better in the Fortress FT02 with a noctua DH14 fan since the bottom fans there would also help the cpu cooler probably. On the first version of FT02 however I found it to be a bit too noisy in 2d work mode, silentpcreview suggest putting lower voltage on the bottoms fans on that case. I havent tried that since I built that case for a friend and no longer have access to it.

One advantage of the H100 is that I can easily use those tall memory modules, that would not be possible with a big fan cooler. I'm not sure why everyone choses Noctua DH14 though when prolimatech seems to win all efficiency tests (noise vs cooling). Many of the Tomshardware tests fails to even include the prolimatech units unfortunately.

So if I go for fan cpu cooler I would think the best case would be FT02 and other memory modules, but FT02 is a bit old now and the Antec P280 is tempting hehe such a hard decision :)  On the other hand I have never installed a huge cpu fan cooler so it would be interresting to try...

Thermaltek has mostly bad reviews on cases when it comes to noise (mostly oriented to gaming teenagers that like cool macho cases?) so I would usually trust the quality of Corsair more. However the reviews of the thermaltake water 2.0 does say it is very good, too bad they used ugly white fans (well its less ugly than the brown DH14).

I will never build "real" water cooling, too many risks and too much maintenance.

I tried finding g.skill memory chips here in Norway but that was hard to find in the stores I'm used to dealing with.

September 26, 2012 3:56:13 PM

Interresting article about Noctua DH14 vs H100:
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Noctuas-DH14-Can-Air-Coo...

At 4.5GHz, the H100 is quieter than the DH-14 or the H80—but it's also significantly more expensive.
At 4.13GHz, the DH-14 is actually better than both the H80 and Intel coolers. The H100 remains ~7C cooler, but Noctua's air cooler can clearly keep up.
DH14 Quitest fan cooler but not compatible with all ram.
DH14 somewhat difficult to install.
Included fans on DH14 are great (same can't be said for H100?).
At stock speeds, the fans on the liquid coolers, and on the Noctua DH-14, are all inaudible.
What you can hear are the liquid coolers' pumps. Not much--but in the rareified air of $90 coolers, people care about those tiny differences.

So all in all the conclusion from article seems to be that the H100 is better performance and easier to install but in 2d modus might have some pump noise as a disadvantage. And the DH14 is better value.

September 26, 2012 4:11:13 PM

syempre said:
Interresting article about Noctua DH14 vs H100:
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Noctuas-DH14-Can-Air-Coo...

At 4.5GHz, the H100 is quieter than the DH-14 or the H80—but it's also significantly more expensive.
At 4.13GHz, the DH-14 is actually better than both the H80 and Intel coolers. The H100 remains ~7C cooler, but Noctua's air cooler can clearly keep up.
DH14 Quitest fan cooler but not compatible with all ram.
DH14 somewhat difficult to install.
Included fans on DH14 are great (same can't be said for H100?).
At stock speeds, the fans on the liquid coolers, and on the Noctua DH-14, are all inaudible.
What you can hear are the liquid coolers' pumps. Not much--but in the rareified air of $90 coolers, people care about those tiny differences.

So all in all the conclusion from article seems to be that the H100 is better performance and easier to install but in 2d modus might have some pump noise as a disadvantage. And the DH14 is better value.


Very interesting find, I shall read this further.
September 26, 2012 8:29:24 PM

Strange for the first time I tested this PcPartPicker site and there they list H100 with 22-39 dba and the Noctua DH14 with only 12-20 dba. Anything below 30 dba should be mostly quiet so its strange that the noctua was more noisy than H100 in the test review. Maybe it is only with overclocking and that is not listed on the part picker?
September 26, 2012 9:08:13 PM

Pc Part picker also lists Asus Maximus formula as not compatible with Antec P280 case and the FT02 case, which is not true. Many people have installed that like in this test of the memory modules:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Dominator_Pl...
However I guess it is because those cases are not officially listed as EATX compatible.

Here is my current idea of a Antec P280 + H100 build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iCYL

And FT02 with Noctua fan and low profile memory build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iD49

Details Antec:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($548.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Wired Standard Keyboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse
Total: $2683.36
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Details FT02:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($548.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone SST-FT02B-USB3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($280.51 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Wired Standard Keyboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse
Total: $2723.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


September 26, 2012 9:13:52 PM

Note: I already have the keyboard, mouse, OS license, and the big SATA disks so those I don't have to buy. Maybe I will change those at a later time togther with a new monitor.

The FT02 build has some color issues with the kingston low profile memory being blue which is not nice bit its the only memory I could find that matches the noctua cooler in the shops I looked at in Norway. However the noctua fan also has some horrible colors.

Which of these cases will be the most quiet is a bit hard to figure out, different sites and forums says different things. I'm pretty sure the H02 will be colder inside though.
September 26, 2012 9:29:51 PM

syempre said:
Note: I already have the keyboard, mouse, OS license, and the big SATA disks so those I don't have to buy. Maybe I will change those at a later time togther with a new monitor.

The FT02 build has some color issues with the kingston low profile memory being blue which is not nice bit its the only memory I could find that matches the noctua cooler in the shops I looked at in Norway. However the noctua fan also has some horrible colors.

Which of these cases will be the most quiet is a bit hard to figure out, different sites and forums says different things. I'm pretty sure the H02 will be colder inside though.


Don't try to build a system based around a color scheme - I've found that never works. Most of the time you won't even be looking inside your system anyways unless you want to show it off.

I really like Silverstone cases - they're very underrated as a case manufacturer. I based my HTPC around one of their cases and the thing is built like a tank - it's very solidly constructed and very roomy for the price.

Of the two builds you posted I'd go for the FT02 - I wouldn't personally bother with an H100 - if you want to do liquid cooling I'd suggest something like this: http://www.swiftech.org/images/products/thumb/H20-220-E...
September 26, 2012 9:34:32 PM

Another note, this build costs on average $2000 from newegg if I remove the hardware I already have. However the same components costs $2690 in Norway from one of the cheapest web stores.
Wow $690 more for the same stuff...
September 26, 2012 9:50:19 PM

syempre said:
Another note, this build costs on average $2000 from newegg if I remove the hardware I already have. However the same components costs $2690 in Norway from one of the cheapest web stores.
Wow $690 more for the same stuff...


That's quite a difference. Check the link in my sig if you need more stores from Norway.
September 26, 2012 10:20:15 PM


I agree that colors are not very important, I don't like windows on my cases anyway.

Is there a major advantage with using 2x8gb instead of 4x4gb memory? I guess using only 2 memory modules makes it easier to mount the cpu cooler fan but maybe there is a memory bandwith advantage in having more modules or a disadvantage in that its harder to overclock if using all slots?

These are the possible low profile memory choices I have found in Norway, which one should I chose? on the pictures it looks like these should fit under the noctua fan:

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=752036
BLT4CP4G3D1608DT1TX0BEU
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1600Mhz DDR3 16GB
16GB kit(4GBx4),Tactical, 1600Mhz, 1.5V, CL8-8-8-24
can't find this on PCPartPicker...

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=752765
BLT2CP8G3D1608DT1TX0CEU
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Tactical 16GB
16GB kit (8GBx2),1600MHz, 1.5V, CL8-8-8-24
can't find this on PCPartPicker...

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=585007
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/kingston-memory-khx1600...
KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB
Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=749647
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/kingston-memory-khx1866...
KHX1866C9D3K4/16GX
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1866MHz 16GB KIT
Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=749648
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/kingston-memory-khx2133...
KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 2133MHz 16GB KIT
Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL11, 240 pin

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=751787
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/kingston-memory-khx16c1...
KHX16C10B1K2/16X
Kingston DDR3 HyperX blu 1600MHz 16GB
8GB 2Rx8 1G x 64-Bit x 2, DDR3-1600, CL10, 240-Pin DIMM Kit

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010615152/corsair-16g...
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/corsair-memory-cml16gx3...
CML16GX3M4X1600C8
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP QUAD 1600MHZ CL8 (4X4GB)

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010618982/corsair-16g...
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/corsair-memory-cml16gx3...
CML16GX3M4A1600C9
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9 (4X4GB)

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010618983/corsair-16g...
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/corsair-memory-cml16gx3...
CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9 (4X4GB) BLUE

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010621881/corsair-16g...
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/corsair-memory-cmx16gx3...
CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 XMS3 PC12800 1600MHZ (2X8GB)

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010643209/corsair-16g...
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/corsair-memory-cml16gx3...
CML16GX3M4A2133C11B
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-17000 2133MHZ CL11 (4X4GB) BLUE

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5010643210/corsair-16g...
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/corsair-memory-cml16gx3...
CML16GX3M4A1866C9
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-15000 1866MHZ CL9 (4X4GB)

Memory comp list for Noctua:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_ge...
Crucial Ballistix memory seems to be compatible
Kingston HyperX is also listed as compatible
Corsair Vengeance Low-Profile is listed as compatible also and the XMS3 DHX series.

PCPartPicker list of Crucial, Kingston and Corsair memory which is the most available memory types in my location:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/memory/#m=11,12,23&s=3016...

Looking at the specs and fame of these manufacturers and modules my guess is that these would be the best performers:

http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/corsair-memory-cml16gx3...
CML16GX3M4X1600C8
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP QUAD 1600MHZ CL8 (4X4GB)

Not sure if the frequency is more important then the CL rating or vice versa, I only know high frequency is good and low CL is good and that it's harder to get low CL on higher frequencies? I would prefer if the memory has a XMP profile that works automatically with the Asus board I think? All of the 2x8 kits seems to have a higher CL than the 4x4 memory module kits.




September 26, 2012 11:29:34 PM

I used the wrong link that was for the AMD cpu version of the board :) 

Here are the QVL for intel z77 lga1155 board:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...

These are approved QVL 16gb configs for the motherboard:

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=585007
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/ki [...] c9d3k416gx
KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB
Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=749648
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/ki [...] 11d3k416gx
KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 2133MHz 16GB KIT
Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL11, 240 pin

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5 [...] ider_dacsa
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/co [...] 3m4x1600c8
CML16GX3M4X1600C8
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP QUAD 1600MHZ CL8 (4X4GB)
September 26, 2012 11:42:04 PM

syempre said:
I used the wrong link that was for the AMD cpu version of the board :) 

Here are the QVL for intel z77 lga1155 board:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...

These are approved QVL 16gb configs for the motherboard:

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=585007
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/ki [...] c9d3k416gx
KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB
Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=749648
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/ki [...] 11d3k416gx
KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 2133MHz 16GB KIT
Kit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL11, 240 pin

http://www.dustinhome.no/product/5 [...] ider_dacsa
http://pcpartpicker.com/us/part/co [...] 3m4x1600c8
CML16GX3M4X1600C8
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP QUAD 1600MHZ CL8 (4X4GB)


Yeah most AMD motherboards are rated at 1.65V while most Intel are 1.5V but the newer AMD boards accept 1.5V as well. Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, and G.Skill are all top tier RAM manufacturers. There's also Mushkin but I think they're only available in North America.
September 27, 2012 12:19:10 AM


Ok I guess if I og for the FT02 case and fan then it would look like this with the fast and asus approved Kingston memory:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($548.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone SST-FT02B-USB3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($280.51 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Wired Standard Keyboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse
Total: $2723.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Looks like they want to run the memory at v1.65 at the asus pages:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/MAXIMUS-V_F...

Kingston
KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX(XMP)
KINGSTON KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) DS - - 11-12-11-30 1.65 ● ● ●

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX2133C11D3K4_16GX....
XMP Profile #1: D3-2133 CL11-12-11 @1.65V
• XMP Profile #2: D3-1866 CL10-11-10 @1.65V
The SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard latency DDR3-1333 timing of
9-9-9 at 1.5V

KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX(XMP)
Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.65 ● ● ●

Corsair
CML16GX3M4X1600C8(Ver 2.12)(XMP)
CORSAIR CML16GX3M4X1600C8(Ver 2.12)(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) DS - - Heat-Sink Package 1.5 ● ● ●
CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9(XMP)
CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.5 ● ● ●

September 27, 2012 4:02:03 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Very interesting find, I shall read this further.


I found this review that says different:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPAhvIPXU54&list=UU_SN80...
H100 better at higher overclocks for temeprature but above 4 ghz it starts getting more noisy than the noctua...

So my guess is a FT02 case with noctua blowing air upwards (since the motherboard is turned 90 degrees there) and low setting on the case fans would be the most efficient and quiet case maybe....

September 27, 2012 4:42:21 AM

syempre said:
Ok I guess if I og for the FT02 case and fan then it would look like this with the fast and asus approved Kingston memory:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($548.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone SST-FT02B-USB3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($280.51 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Wired Standard Keyboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G9x Wired Laser Mouse
Total: $2723.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Looks like they want to run the memory at v1.65 at the asus pages:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/MAXIMUS-V_F...

Kingston
KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX(XMP)
KINGSTON KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) DS - - 11-12-11-30 1.65 ● ● ●

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX2133C11D3K4_16GX....
XMP Profile #1: D3-2133 CL11-12-11 @1.65V
• XMP Profile #2: D3-1866 CL10-11-10 @1.65V
The SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard latency DDR3-1333 timing of
9-9-9 at 1.5V

KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX(XMP)
Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.65 ● ● ●

Corsair
CML16GX3M4X1600C8(Ver 2.12)(XMP)
CORSAIR CML16GX3M4X1600C8(Ver 2.12)(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) DS - - Heat-Sink Package 1.5 ● ● ●
CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9(XMP)
CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB ) DS - - 9-9-9-24 1.5 ● ● ●


That build looks a lot better but I would *NEVER* pay $159 for a keyboard - that's a bit ridiculous.

As far as the RAM goes I'm not sure what that QVL says but I don't know why they would list different voltages for the RAM - that seems a bit confusing to me.

I just wouldn't buy the Maximus V - EATX motherboards - you will most likely never use the features on them. You could get a full featured board that's $100 less and does everything you need it to do.
September 27, 2012 6:29:11 PM

syempre said:
hmm I found out that the Asus nvidia 680 Direct Cu II cooler system might not work as well in a vertical mount like in the FT02 case?
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18429...


I'd really go for a different 680 - that gigantic three-slot Asus cooling design is kind of a gimmick and it doesn't really help that few cases on the market can properly house the card. Get this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 27, 2012 9:42:29 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'd really go for a different 680 - that gigantic three-slot Asus cooling design is kind of a gimmick and it doesn't really help that few cases on the market can properly house the card. Get this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039150205
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2246802

These cards seems to be recommended over the asus DirectCU card in the FT02 case:

MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ZOTAC AMP! ZT-60102-10P GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-N680GTX-2GD5-OC-Graphics/dp/B...

Or the reference design card like the EVGA you linked.

The reason seems to be that the piping goes the "right way" with the part hiting the chip at the top and the tubes gowing down towards where the FT02 fans will be at the bottom of the case.

This test shows that the MSI card is almost as good as the asus at being quiet and still perform well:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_6...
(a bit confusing that they called it twin frozr III but it seems to be the same as the card above on amazon and newegg)

Some people say this is increadibly important and say the asus will be 10 degrees warmer in vertical while others say it wont matter with a single card setup...:

"With a single GTX 680 it won't matter which you choose to put in an FT02 because without stacking cards in SLI you won't have problems with heat. I would make my choice based on price and noise levels. The ASUS DirectCU II TOP is the quietest GTX 680 while the MSI Lightning offers more voltage for higher clocks."


non-ref nvidia gtx 680 review
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/GeForce-GTX-680-RoundUp-...
unfortunately this test do not compare to the msi frozr card (only the 670 version with frozr iv cooler)

I trust asus quality first and not sure if zotac or msi is second... evga has a good reputation I think but I have never had any experience with their hardware.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/zotac...
"Unfortunately, the Zotac GeForce GTX 680 AMP! Edition isn't quiet. Yes, the original cooler from Zotac is quieter than the reference GeForce GTX 680 in the automatic fan regulation mode, but it is much worse than the one installed on the ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP, which seems to be the best cooler among all serially manufactured graphics cards."

cpu cooler tower direction also important:
http://en.expreview.com/2010/11/15/90%C2%B0-rotationhow...


I don't really care if the VGA card is overclocked but I like to overclock the cpu to 4 ghz, most important for the card is efficiency so its quiet but that has to work together with the fan config in the case which is what is difficult to estimate the total effect of. The one thing I like about the asus cards is that they have many fan headers and good fan control options that makes it easier to configure a silent 2d running that can then increase all fan speeds somewhat for 3d. SilenctPcReview suggests putting the bottom 3 fans in the FT02 on 9/11volt for optimal cooling and silence in 2d mode that can also handle 3d (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1250-page6.html). Their tests also seem to indicate that while the Noctua DH14 is very good, the most efficient cpu coolers for not heavily overclocked cpu and silent running would be on of these?

Prolimatech Megahalems
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article916-page6.html
advantage that it doesn't covers ram slots either, but does not come with a fan

Phanteks PH-TC14PE
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1291-page6.html
run at 7V (close to 900 RPM) for quiet operation, basically same as noctua but more quiet fans at same efficiency

Thermalright HR-02 Macho with single or dual fan
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1279-page7.html
not sure if dual fan will fit into the FT02, might have to remove top exhaust fan then? advantage in not covering ram but more noisy than the two above?

hermalright Silver Arrow Dual 14cm Fan Cooler
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1171-page7.html
Basically same as the noctua dh14, with maybe even less room for the memory modules

Thermalright Archon SB-E 15cm Fan CPU Cooler
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1271-page5.html
best performance but might be a bit tall and a but noisy at max rpm, not the best mounting system

Thermalright Venomous X Silent Edition CPU Cooler
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1198-page5.html
most quiet but not so good for OC?

and the ugly but always good noctua:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Noctua_NH-D14

Though these are great I don't think they match the airflow design in the FT02:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/prolimatech-genesis


Maybe any of these will do as any gtx 680 video card makes more sound anyway?


September 28, 2012 10:50:33 AM

I've decided to wait for the nvidia gtx 780 graphics card as I have an existing zotac gtx 580 amp2, I also have from before dvd writer, keyboard, monitor, mouse and 2 x large HD. So for the new build I have only purchased these components for now, and will move over the existing HDs, gfx card, keyboard, mouse and monitor:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 60.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ B&H)
Case: Silverstone SST-FT02B-USB3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($280.51 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1460.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

September 28, 2012 5:28:47 PM

Quote:

The reason seems to be that the piping goes the "right way" with the part hiting the chip at the top and the tubes gowing down towards where the FT02 fans will be at the bottom of the case.

This test shows that the MSI card is almost as good as the asus at being quiet and still perform well:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag [...] ew,11.html
(a bit confusing that they called it twin frozr III but it seems to be the same as the card above on amazon and newegg)

Some people say this is increadibly important and say the asus will be 10 degrees warmer in vertical while others say it wont matter with a single card setup...:

"With a single GTX 680 it won't matter which you choose to put in an FT02 because without stacking cards in SLI you won't have problems with heat. I would make my choice based on price and noise levels. The ASUS DirectCU II TOP is the quietest GTX 680 while the MSI Lightning offers more voltage for higher clocks."


I finally looked at the FT02 case and while it's very nice it seems like it'd be an extremely cramped fit for a lot of components you'd be using. If you want to stick with Silverstone - maybe try the RV03: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's quite a bit roomier than the FT02 is and has a window as well.

Quote:


Prolimatech Megahalems
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article916-page6.html
advantage that it doesn't covers ram slots either, but does not come with a fan


They make some extremely nice heat sinks but you're on your own when it comes to fans and that can get incredibly pricey.

Quote:
Thermalright HR-02 Macho with single or dual fan
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1279-page7.html
not sure if dual fan will fit into the FT02, might have to remove top exhaust fan then? advantage in not covering ram but more noisy than the two above?

hermalright Silver Arrow Dual 14cm Fan Cooler
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1171-page7.html
Basically same as the noctua dh14, with maybe even less room for the memory modules

Thermalright Archon SB-E 15cm Fan CPU Cooler
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1271-page5.html
best performance but might be a bit tall and a but noisy at max rpm, not the best mounting system

Thermalright Venomous X Silent Edition CPU Cooler
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1198-page5.html
most quiet but not so good for OC?


Thermalright makes some quality coolers as well but the Silver Arrow is one of their more overrated ones. I'd go for the Venemous X or the Archon myself.
!