Sign in with
Your question

my pioneer 16x dvd EXPLODED --seriously!!

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2001 11:24:02 PM

I was playing broodwar --just like any other day.
I had just finished a zerg mission...was getting briefed on next...

and BAM!!! it was like a very loud gunshot noise.
my first thought was oh gawd my cpu just exploded. Then i thought it must have been thunder or egg throwers (don't ask)after I booted into safe mode...and back to normal.
Win2k said everything was fine.

Tried to eject disk and could not and that's when i realised i was indeed in trouble.

After some effort, i was able to open the tray only to discover my broodwar disk in about 18 pieces.

The good news is that i got it replaced in just 5 mins...but it sure was scary.

Now..my new one makes no sound at all when an empty caddy is pulled back in.

My original always made a WUMP sound and when booting with no cd in tray from day i bought it.

Moral of the story? you find your own.

But this has to be the first time most of you have heard of a dvd rom exploding!!!!!

thanks for listening :) )
October 6, 2001 12:26:31 AM

Cool! Don't think a CPU can explode though.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!
October 6, 2001 2:29:34 PM

Not all that long ago, someone posted something exactly like this. I do believe it was a pioneer dvd too.

I think it's probably a disc defect in the end, but at 5000+ rpm, who can be all that sure. I'm not about to start gluing my cd's onto my dremel just to make sure they are structurally sound...

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>
Related resources
October 6, 2001 2:50:27 PM

I have a 52x- says : Caution, discs may break at high rotation speeds. On my first drive it did- guy gave me a cracked CD, but I ddin't see teh crack. Bam, cd was gone.

October 6, 2001 6:29:00 PM

I had this broodwar disk since blizzard shipped it (99?)with no troubles at 48 speed.

The DVD rom made a strange wump sound (when no cd in it)
when booting and every time caddie would go back into dvd-rom with no cd in it.

It seems very unrealistic that a disk could suddenly vapourize itself.

but as i say i'm not the one suppossed to be drawing conclusions here.

*exit, stage left*
October 6, 2001 11:55:19 PM

Exploding CD's are kinda cool though if ya think about it.

October 7, 2001 6:21:00 AM

yeah... a problem with all high speed drives it seems

to get high transfer rates in the inner disk zones the rpm has to be very high...
i believe for the 20x and 24x burners it can get up above 9000rpm!

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.
October 7, 2001 3:12:05 PM

Plastic shrapnel buried several millimeters into your knee/leg/arm from them *isn't*...

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>
October 7, 2001 3:34:16 PM

How fast does a 52x spin a cd?

August 18, 2008 7:15:13 AM

OH NO!!!

Mine has just done this - scared the you know what out of me and my dog (who had been fast asleep and jumped several feet into the air)

I am waiting for the new dvd rom to arrive and haven't dared look inside yet! So it sounds like I will find my disc in pieces :-( That is very depressing.

Does anyone know how to stop this from happening again?

a b G Storage
August 19, 2008 1:37:14 AM

Reduce the speed of the CD/DVD rom drive. Nero has a utility that does this.

Otherwise, there's nothing you can do. If you rent DVDs (netflix, Blockbuster, etc) or borrow them from friends, make sure there are no cracks.
!