Please recommend Cable Modem and Router for Gaming

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Hello all, Thank you for any replies in advance. The bottom line is I want to replace my cable modem and router and possibly the nic also partly because of the somewhat sudden connection problems and with the primary consideration of online gaming and I would like a discussion and opinion and recommendation for brands and model numbers from our learned members. I’ll be using it as wired and wireless.

The background is this (by the way I have searched the forums and googled this topic). I have Comcast and I have the modem and router (purchased) that they provided when I started the service. The Modem is a Dlink DCM-202 which is rated a one star by them and is somewhat supported and the router is a Dlink WBR-1310. The router has hit it’s EOL and is no longer supported. For what one might say are normal tasks the two items function although as an example the Tom’s website seems to be a little tough to open and navigate. I am a member of a multiplayer online gaming clan and we play a variety of games. Some are played on our own server and some are played on different servers around the world. My connection has never been described as great just normal. Of late we have been playing on a server in the UK and I am having a lot of problems staying connected to this server. The cable company as anyone would guess says their system is fine. A fellow clan member here in town has not been having my problems. While researching this issue I ran pingplotter as was recommended in another thread. There is one server in the route that seems to be of some problem but at times the entire route collapse and shows dramatic packet loss even from my location. I could go on with gory details but suffice to say that I do want to and feel that I need to upgrade to new equipment and would greatly appreciate the member’s opinions about brands and models.

One last thing about my NIC, as far as I know the onboard NIC is working normally but would anyone recommend a discreet NIC daughter card over the onboard NIC. The Killer NIC is too hard core and expensive for me, lol (something like $150).

The MoBo is a Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P which uses a Realtek 8111C/DL chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) and I have Win 7 64bit.

Solution
Most standard on-board networking will work fine. My PC is about 6 years old and the onboard gets me the maximum speed i am supposed to be getting from Time Warner (30 down and 5 up). So i really don't think a card is really needed if you don't want to spend the $30-$40.

Have you contacted Comcast to see if they would provide you with at least a newer modem? That would be my first step. You pay for the service and they should provide it. Just for reference, what connection speed package do you have?

You're going to spend $80-$100 on a new cable modem so it is worth a shot. Also before you just buy one see if Comcast has a part of their site that has a list of compatible modems, i know Time Warner does...

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Most standard on-board networking will work fine. My PC is about 6 years old and the onboard gets me the maximum speed i am supposed to be getting from Time Warner (30 down and 5 up). So i really don't think a card is really needed if you don't want to spend the $30-$40.

Have you contacted Comcast to see if they would provide you with at least a newer modem? That would be my first step. You pay for the service and they should provide it. Just for reference, what connection speed package do you have?

You're going to spend $80-$100 on a new cable modem so it is worth a shot. Also before you just buy one see if Comcast has a part of their site that has a list of compatible modems, i know Time Warner does.

http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/index.php/products/product-overview/docsis_3.0_wireless_cable_modem_gateway/
That is what i recently got from Time Warner, but i had to upgrade my package to get it. But i will say it works great.
If you can get something like that you eliminate the need for a router and a modem and save money.

Solution

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Steimy, thank you for your response. I did get a gateway one from Zoom, the modem is docsis 3. The situation has improved however I am going to reinstall windows soon to insure all is well on my end. Again thanks for the reply.