Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I3 or i5

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 25, 2012 6:54:09 PM

looking for something prebuilt in eiether i3 or i5 . something all i have to do is through a graph card and a hard drive in . no o/s no dvd drive
my budger is not great about 500 ..found a few on e bay but dont know what route to go ..
i game amd do music and video editing so need something with balls ..quad core with around 8 gigs ddr3 1600

More about : question

September 25, 2012 7:02:01 PM

Quad i5 core is the best choice for someone who plays demanding games.
m
0
l
September 25, 2012 7:06:42 PM

An i5 has a substantial multi-threaded advantage over the i3s in that it has twice as many cores. The i3's Hyper-threading is less effective than adding a third core would have been, let alone a fourth like the i5s have on the LGA 1155 socket.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 26, 2012 12:22:51 PM

You said "my budget is not great about 500 ":

Draft $500 budget
video card = $200 (say HD7850)
hard drive = 100
That leaves $200 for the processor and MB. That puts you in i3 range.

If you want to use a <$150 card (say HD7770) then you are have enough left for the i5, but it will not game as well (should edit video faster unless video edit software uses GPU acceleration).

Or go for a used system.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 2:06:17 PM

A good 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue hard drive could be had for about $60. You could get an i5 instead of an i3 with the savings if you get a Radeon 7850 such as one of the two excellent Asus DCII models that goes for less than $200, although probably not a multiplier-unlocked i5.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 11:53:59 PM

I doubt that you'll get that ebay computer for the price that you're looking at. It has over 40 people watching it, so there's probably going to be a helluva bidding war over it and it might double or even triple in price before it sells. If you could get it for $500, then it would be a steal, but that's probably not going to happen.

Honestly, I don't know where you'd get a prebuilt like what you're asking for , let alone at the price that you want. Buying one without an optical disk drive, let alone without an OS, isn't easy unless you buy an old, used computer and at that point, you might as well just do a build it your self computer.

EDIT: Also, that Ebay computer already has a GTX 670. That's like four or five times faster than a GTX 550 Ti, so in the unlikely situation where you win it, there's no reason to get a GTX 550 Ti.
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 2:28:31 AM

my question is how much should i go on a pc like this ? i can go more than 550 just dont wanna over spend on this pc. what would you pay fpr a pc like this ?
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 3:03:57 AM

I'd just buy the CPU, graphics card, and hard drive myself. I can get one of the best 7850s, an Asus DC2 7850, with an i5 and a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB hard drive (7.2K RPM, SATA 6Gb/s meaning good burst performance of the 16MiB cache). Of course, that'd be ignoring other necessary components such as a PSU, case, and motherboard, so I'd drop down to a Phenom II x4 as my CPU so that I could afford to buy and put together a full computer (ignoring the OS and optical disk drive, of course) for under $500.

This is what I'd buy:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iF9S
It's a DIY computer, but it's excellent for the price. This Radeon 7850 is faster than two GTX 550 Tis and is almost as fast as two reference-clocked Radeon 7770s.

A prebuilt can't be bought at this price point that can come close. Heck, a prebuilt for around $750 probably couldn't come close. Bringing up the budget to say $550 wouldn't change much, but going to maybe $600 would mean that you could fit in an i5, but again, not in an already built that isn't used and possibly faulty as a result of that use.
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 6:57:23 AM

It has no graphics card and relies on integrated graphics that is ancient for gaming and would probably fail to play most modern games even in minimum settings at the minimum supported resolutions.
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 2:15:00 PM

luciferano said:
It has no graphics card and relies on integrated graphics that is ancient for gaming and would probably fail to play most modern games even in minimum settings at the minimum supported resolutions.

but i i ad a card upgrade would it be any better ? it should handle modern games then .
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 2:44:52 PM

jemmusic said:
but i i ad a card upgrade would it be any better ? it should handle modern games then .


It would, but you'd have to bring your budget up to around $600 just to get a Radeon 7770 for it. Do you want to do that?
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 3:03:08 PM

luciferano said:
It would, but you'd have to bring your budget up to around $600 just to get a Radeon 7770 for it. Do you want to do that?

yeah i can go up in price to get good graph card.... found this with 8 cores
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Fast-Eight-Core-Computer-...

i could upgrade the card and add ram
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 3:27:17 PM

Eight cores isn't very good for gaming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The quad-core system that you linked earlier would be better than that. The only game that I'm aware of that uses more than four cores is BF3 and even then, most games that use four cores don't even do so very effectively. There's really not much reason to go beyond four cores for a gaming computer.
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 7:21:25 PM

luciferano said:
Eight cores isn't very good for gaming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The quad-core system that you linked earlier would be better than that. The only game that I'm aware of that uses more than four cores is BF3 and even then, most games that use four cores don't even do so very effectively. There's really not much reason to go beyond four cores for a gaming computer.

ok i got you ... someone told me more cores the better smh ...thats why i like to ask before i buy thank you
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 7:33:33 PM

jemmusic said:
ok i got you ... someone told me more cores the better smh ...thats why i like to ask before i buy thank you


You're welcome. Have you decided on what computer that you'll buy?
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 8:47:05 PM

luciferano said:
You're welcome. Have you decided on what computer that you'll buy?

no am still looking lol.... this sucks
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 8:51:24 PM

are amd computers good ? i always had intel so i stuck with that . i did build an amd system one time years back cost me 800 to build it but i didnt know anything about over clocking and i just sold it on bay for 1100 .. so now dont know intel or amd
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 9:04:29 PM

Some computers with AMD CPUs are good, some are bad. Some with Intel CPUs are good, some are bad. Asking if AMD computers are good is like asking if AMD graphics cards are good. I'm not sure of how to define good in this context and since the computer isn't actually branded nor built by AMD, it simply has an AMD CPU, it's technically not an AMD computer. It's an Acer computer that uses an AMD CPU.

I'd recommend getting the computer that we've now both linked if that's at a price that you're willing to pay, but it's not better or worse than any other specifically because it has an AMD CPU. The AMD CPU that it has performs properly for the price of the computer and the rest of the hardware such as the memory is more adequate for the price than any other computer that I saw on Newegg, so I recommended it. If a computer with a better price and/or better performance at about the same price had an Intel CPU, then I'd recommend it because it had better performance and/or lower pricing, but that it had Intel instead of AMD as the designer of the CPU would not be a factor in that recommendation.
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 11:24:02 PM

luciferano said:
Some computers with AMD CPUs are good, some are bad. Some with Intel CPUs are good, some are bad. Asking if AMD computers are good is like asking if AMD graphics cards are good. I'm not sure of how to define good in this context and since the computer isn't actually branded nor built by AMD, it simply has an AMD CPU, it's technically not an AMD computer. It's an Acer computer that uses an AMD CPU.

I'd recommend getting the computer that we've now both linked if that's at a price that you're willing to pay, but it's not better or worse than any other specifically because it has an AMD CPU. The AMD CPU that it has performs properly for the price of the computer and the rest of the hardware such as the memory is more adequate for the price than any other computer that I saw on Newegg, so I recommended it. If a computer with a better price and/or better performance at about the same price had an Intel CPU, then I'd recommend it because it had better performance and/or lower pricing, but that it had Intel instead of AMD as the designer of the CPU would not be a factor in that recommendation.

just found the same amd from newegg on ebay for 344.00 buy it now ..... if i bout it i can still buy a good graph card and up the ram ... what you think ? and thank you for all your help
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 11:34:43 PM

jemmusic said:
just found the same amd from newegg on ebay for 344.00 buy it now ..... if i bout it i can still buy a good graph card and up the ram ... what you think ? and thank you for all your help


That sounds good. You're welcome.
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 1:20:53 AM

jemmusic said:
heres the one on ebay ... just wanna make sure its the same one we seen on newegg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-AMD-FX-4100-3-60-GHz-Deskt...


It's the same computer, but that one is listed as manufacturer refurbished. That's probably an Ebay listing to sell returned units. Manufacturer refurbished means that they should have fixed any issues that might have warranted the return, so it should be fine to buy, but just be aware that it was probably faulty at one time and maybe there will be issues again. Granted, there's no guarantee that a new unit couldn't have issues either, but you might want to consider this in your purchasing decision. If there are issues, then you have the warranty any they should be fixed, but it could mean down-time while they fix any issues if you can't fix them either yourself or through help of forums such as Tom's. Again, the same is true for new units too, but still.
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 1:39:33 AM

luciferano said:
It's the same computer, but that one is listed as manufacturer refurbished. That's probably an Ebay listing to sell returned units. Manufacturer refurbished means that they should have fixed any issues that might have warranted the return, so it should be fine to buy, but just be aware that it was probably faulty at one time and maybe there will be issues again. Granted, there's no guarantee that a new unit couldn't have issues either, but you might want to consider this in your purchasing decision. If there are issues, then you have the warranty any they should be fixed, but it could mean down-time while they fix any issues if you can't fix them either yourself or through help of forums such as Tom's. Again, the same is true for new units too, but still.

wow i didnt see that ... for a few bucks more i should just get it new
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 1:45:53 AM

That's what I'm thinking too. If the price difference was more like $200, then I might consider the used unit, but at about $100 cheaper, I'm not *feeling* it.
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 2:23:49 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $476.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $449.99

That is 2 more for you to consider both come with decent gpu's and 1 has 6 gigs of ram while the other 8.

Or build your own http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iK9J $488.00 roughly without you buying a gpu And you can change out parts to fit your own needs. (like if you do not like the hdd or want ssd) That one was with an i3 2100 you could boost your cpu if you want or go with another board. Best part of building your own is that you can build it to suit your needs.

Side note on the psu i chose in the build http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-VP450-Powe... It is not rated 80 but puts out plenty at 80+
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 4:16:18 AM

zolton33 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $476.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $449.99

That is 2 more for you to consider both come with decent gpu's and 1 has 6 gigs of ram while the other 8.

Or build your own http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iK9J $488.00 roughly without you buying a gpu And you can change out parts to fit your own needs. (like if you do not like the hdd or want ssd) That one was with an i3 2100 you could boost your cpu if you want or go with another board. Best part of building your own is that you can build it to suit your needs.

Side note on the psu i chose in the build http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-VP450-Powe... It is not rated 80 but puts out plenty at 80+



ok this is my build ... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iKE6 mAKE SURE ALL WILL WORK OK AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ONLY THING IT SASY SOMETHING ABOUT USB 3.0 AND THE CASE HAS ISSUES ?
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 4:27:10 AM

Wouldn't you like a graphics card for that computer? Also, there's no reason to go beyond 8GB of RAM. 16GB won't help in anything other than increasing the price unless you do a lot of heavy Photoshop work or something similarly RAM-capacity heavy. Gaming and average usage are not very RAM-capacity heavy and even 4GB is enough, but 8GB is better. 16GB is not better than 8GB and can actually be slightly detrimental to gaming performance. There's also no good reason to get a K edition CPU unless you're going to overclock beyond 4GHz and you'd need a good CPU cooler for that.

One last thing, a Plextor MS5 or Samsung 830 SSD would be a lot better for the same or even less money.

Any of these graphics cards (depending on how much you want to spend) would be good:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-112010...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr777...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-hd7850dc22...

SSDs:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vt...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/plextor-internal-hard-driv...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-driv...

Memory:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmx8gx3m2a1...

CPU:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53450
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 4:43:47 AM

luciferano said:
Wouldn't you like a graphics card for that computer? Also, there's no reason to go beyond 8GB of RAM. 16GB won't help in anything other than increasing the price unless you do a lot of heavy Photoshop work or something similarly RAM-capacity heavy. Gaming and average usage are not very RAM-capacity heavy and even 4GB is enough, but 8GB is better. 16GB is not better than 8GB and can actually be slightly detrimental to gaming performance. There's also no good reason to get a K edition CPU unless you're going to overclock beyond 4GHz and you'd need a good CPU cooler for that.

One last thing, a Plextor MS5 or Samsung 830 SSD would be a lot better for the same or even less money.

Any of these graphics cards (depending on how much you want to spend) would be good:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-112010...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr777...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-hd7850dc22...

SSDs:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vt...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/plextor-internal-hard-driv...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-driv...

Memory:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmx8gx3m2a1...

CPU:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53450

I ALWAYS THOUGHT MORE RAM THE BETTER... I DO VIDEO EDITING THOUGHT IT MIGHT HELP TO HAVE MORE RAM.. AS FAR AS OVER CLOCKING MAYBE I MIGHT WANNA ONE DAY JUST THOUGHT IT BE GOOD TO HAVE. GRAPH CARD ILL PICK UP ON EBAY MUCH CHEAPER
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 4:47:26 AM

You are missing an os (windows) in your build. And yeah as was said 8 gig is the sweet spot in windows 7 gaming. If you plan on over clocking i recommend an after market cpu cooler. Plus you may need a mouse and keyboard as well as an optical drive (to install the os) And a monitor unless you have one?
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 4:49:36 AM

jemmusic said:
I ALWAYS THOUGHT MORE RAM THE BETTER... I DO VIDEO EDITING THOUGHT IT MIGHT HELP TO HAVE MORE RAM.. AS FAR AS OVER CLOCKING MAYBE I MIGHT WANNA ONE DAY JUST THOUGHT IT BE GOOD TO HAVE. GRAPH CARD ILL PICK UP ON EBAY MUCH CHEAPER



For that type of heavy work 16 would help but expect to get a worse performance in gaming is what he is trying to say i believe.
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 4:56:02 AM

zolton33, please read the first post of the thread.
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 5:04:06 AM

luciferano said:
zolton33, please read the first post of the thread.



This post of mine makes number 33 in this thread. Is it any wonder i missed it having read through the other 30 posts? Especially when it was only referenced in the first one? :p  But yeah i should have checked but it is only 1 am here and i just finished a week long move to my new apartment so i am more then a bit tired >_< I also suggest checking out some bare bones systems. Some are good some are bad and some have some components you may want to change but some times you can get a decent deal.
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 5:12:01 AM

zolton33 said:
This post of mine makes number 33 in this thread. Is it any wonder i missed it having read through the other 30 posts? Especially when it was only referenced in the first one? :p  But yeah i should have checked but it is only 1 am here and i just finished a week long move to my new apartment so i am more then a bit tired >_< I also suggest checking out some bare bones systems. Some are good some are bad and some have some components you may want to change but some times you can get a decent deal.


I wasn't making fun of you, just making sure that you knew the context of this thread so that help that you give could be more oriented towards OP's needs :) 
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 5:19:09 AM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/catego...|c:4910|&Sort=4

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/catego...|c:5205|&Sort=4

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Those are from Tigerdirect

Some are not to bad and some have added things you don't need or want (games and software) and some only need you to buy a few things to beef them up (some come with a mobo that is not very good as an example) But it never hurts to look.
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 1:29:23 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vt...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-internal-hard-drive-...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-internal-hard-driv...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/plextor-internal-hard-driv...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-driv...

All of these 60/64GB SSDs are far better than that Agility 3 in both performance and reliability at about the same price from $4 or $5 cheaper to $4 or $5 more expensive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-pvi38g186c9...
This memory kit is dual-channel instead of single channel, higher data rate, and cheaper than that kit from your link.

The rest of your part choices are good parts, but why are you getting a K edition i5 without a decent CPU cooler and what about graphics?
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 2:56:35 AM

luciferano said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vt...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-internal-hard-drive-...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-internal-hard-driv...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/plextor-internal-hard-driv...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-driv...

All of these 60/64GB SSDs are far better than that Agility 3 in both performance and reliability at about the same price from $4 or $5 cheaper to $4 or $5 more expensive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-pvi38g186c9...
This memory kit is dual-channel instead of single channel, higher data rate, and cheaper than that kit from your link.

The rest of your part choices are good parts, but why are you getting a K edition i5 without a decent CPU cooler and what about graphics?

ok i made some changes thanks for the heads up ..... was going with the k just in case i wanna overclock . as far as the cooler i was gonna get the corsair hyrdo cooler h80 .
what cpu would you recomend ? and graph card ill get later on when i get more money
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 5:58:27 AM

jemmusic said:
ok i made some changes thanks for the heads up ..... was going with the k just in case i wanna overclock . as far as the cooler i was gonna get the corsair hyrdo cooler h80 .
what cpu would you recomend ? and graph card ill get later on when i get more money


Closed loop water coolers are a waste of money. They aren't any better at cooling than some high-end air coolers that are cheaper.

The K series is for overclocking well beyond 4GHz. Any regular i5 can overclock to around 4GHz through Turbo settings even without being a K edition.

I'd recommend an i5-3450 or an i5-3470 unless you want a much more than 4GHz overclock such as 4.4GHz to 4.6GHz.
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 8:14:56 AM

luciferano said:
Closed loop water coolers are a waste of money. They aren't any better at cooling than some high-end air coolers that are cheaper.

The K series is for overclocking well beyond 4GHz. Any regular i5 can overclock to around 4GHz through Turbo settings even without being a K edition.

I'd recommend an i5-3450 or an i5-3470 unless you want a much more than 4GHz overclock such as 4.4GHz to 4.6GHz.

CAN I USE THE 3550 ?
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 8:44:30 AM

jemmusic said:
CAN I USE THE 3550 ?


You can use the i5-3550 if you want to. It's up to you. I don't think that I'd bother with it unless you find it cheaper than a 34xx model because it's unlikely to have a significant performance difference.
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 7:45:52 PM

ok here is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iY3h
does the tower come with fans ? i think i have to add some . should i go with 220mm or 140mm is a bigger fan better ? other than that am ready to order my parts . also would i be able to use my old sata hard drives in this new build ?
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 7:55:04 PM

jemmusic said:
ok here is my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iY3h
does the tower come with fans ? i think i have to add some . should i go with 220mm or 140mm is a bigger fan better ? other than that am ready to order my parts . also would i be able to use my old sata hard drives in this new build ?


The case comes with two 120mm fans, one intake and one exhaust. I doubt that more would make a difference for your build because it's not a very high-power consumption build. Bigger fans are generally better, but you'd have to make tsure tha tthe case supports some very large fans and really, I find it unliekly that you'd have need of such large fans anyway.

You should be able to sue your old SATA drives.
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 8:08:27 PM

ok cool because the case has a fan opening on the top that can use a 220mm or 140mm and the side panel also .. but if you think i dont need it i wont buy it. so am ready to order my parts and i will keep you posted on my progress.. thank you so much for all your help.
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 8:32:57 PM

You're welcome.

If temps are too high when you build the computer, then you might consider more fans. However, I don't think that you'll have a problem and buying fans without confirming an issue first would be kinda wasteful unless it turns out that your temps are too high without extra cooling.
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 9:58:44 PM

ok cool... so i purchased all the parts except the mother board.. why cause am still not sure if the one i have picked ot is good enough. i would like to spend a little more for a better mobo . not sure if its so important or the one i had picked will do just fine . i want performance something fast ...could be another brand ... what do you think luci
m
0
l
October 1, 2012 1:21:54 AM

luciferano said:
That board should do well. However, if you want a better board, then I think that you should consider this board:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B007KTY4A6/ref=d...

what makes this better ? is it because the sli ... i dont think i would ever use more than 1 graph card . does this one have more processing power than the other? am confused dont know much about them .. need something great for gaming and video editing. if you think the other will be ok id go with that one....thanks
m
0
l
October 1, 2012 1:34:25 AM

This board has superior VRM and such for better overclocking stability and its superior connectivity.

However, I do think that the cheaper board is enough for your needs.
m
0
l
!