Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need budget pc build help

Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2012 7:14:34 PM

Hey all, I hope you are all doing very well!

So I as the title says am building a new pc and I didn't realize how many options for components were out there. Last time I did this I didn't ask for advice and found myself bottlenecked and generally unsatisfied.

I additionally have researched the questionnaire sticky in the forums dictating what information you need to give recomendations so if i miss anything just let me know

First off I am building a budget gaming PC in an effort to run games such as borderlands 2, warhammer online, d3, CODMW2 at 60ish fps and stable. My greatest complaint about when i sit at a computer is it not running smoothly. I would sacrifice AA and quality niceties for a game running smoothly, as in the ease of play is there.

Budget: $500
when: soon as i get a build I like, hopefully tomorrow =)
reso 1280x720, 1440x900, or 1360x768 I have a TV and monitor i use, dont need them in tandem, just have them
Graphics: I currently have a gtx550 TI and will not be upgrading my GPU, im fine with what it does.
System Usage: I stream netflix and play games.
I prefer Newegg.com b.c they are painless and I know they dont spit on my parts b4 they send them
I would overclock if needed or got bored
Parts Preferences: from what I have gathered INTEL is the way to go
I have a 400w PSU im using, If i needed to change that fine, but save cost go go.
I have harddrives 5400's i know its not great but i can upgrade those later.

I basically need, a cpu, ram, mobo under 500 dollars in tandem with my 550TI that I wont get angry at.

Comments, I am firm at the 500 dollar mark, I have looked into combos ect and am fine with that. I personally would love to find an option wiht a SSD but to get into my budget i would have to get the AMD APU's and from what I have gathered they are great paperweights when it comes to gaming.

I appreciate the help in advance.

Best,
J

More about : budget build

September 25, 2012 7:28:47 PM

Aight so on a quick glance of newegg I realized I was working the wrong angle trying to find a combo or all in one and i was getting nothing from it so... I put together something in 5 minutes, give me your thoughts based on my previous post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... MOBO and CPU combo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... GPU
400 PSU, wish i had a link but i dunno what it is anymore

Best,
J

OH also if you all think it is worth it, I suppose I would be willing to downgrade the CPU for a SSD or something. Just dont want to choke out the point of a new system by buying more when i can upgrade to SSD's later down the road when more funds become available... Let me know
September 25, 2012 8:09:28 PM

Almost whatever you do, is going to be bottlenecked by that GTX550Ti. I'm sorry, but it's a really feeble card. Would recommend, as a minimum for reasonable gaming, with latest titles, a HD7770.
I don't know who at Newegg thought of that CPU/mobo combo, but that's a locked processor, that you can't overclock, and the mobo is one for overclocking an UNlocked processor.
If you want to avoid cost of overclocking, use something like i5-3450, or i5-3550, and a H77 mobo. If you want to keep cost down, use something like ASRock H77M for mobo.
400w is borderline adequate, but unless it's of high quality, and reasonably new, it's probably no longer giving 400w, so may need changing. In any case, it's rarely a good idea to attach new components, to a PSU of unknown condition. Probably better to change for slightly larger new one.
Related resources

Best solution

September 25, 2012 9:09:49 PM

I agree with malbluff that the 550 Ti is going to keep you from seeing a big boost in performance if you just upgrade CPU. If you don't need a new copy of Windows, and you can live your case, HD and OD you can get a pretty big boost in gaming performance if you go with an i3 and either a Radeon 7870 or a Geforce 660 and still stay within your budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($117.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $484.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

That price is after $30 in rebates, but there's an additional $10 off code on the PSU that doesn't show up on partpicker.

I went with a Sandy Bridge i3 because there don't seem to be any really good deals on the i3-3220 at the moment (it would cost about $20 more). If you can live without USB 3.0 and SATA III you can save about $20 with a lesser motherboard (but I wouldn't recommend it).

If you want to go with a 7870 Amazon has this Asus model for the same price AR as the 660.

Of course you don't need to do the whole upgrade at one. You can just get the CPU, motherboard and RAM now and use it with your current PSU and 550Ti and then decide if you're getting the performance you want.
September 25, 2012 9:19:09 PM

jhowell said:
Aight so on a quick glance of newegg I realized I was working the wrong angle trying to find a combo or all in one and i was getting nothing from it so... I put together something in 5 minutes, give me your thoughts based on my previous post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... MOBO and CPU combo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... GPU
400 PSU, wish i had a link but i dunno what it is anymore

Best,
J

OH also if you all think it is worth it, I suppose I would be willing to downgrade the CPU for a SSD or something. Just dont want to choke out the point of a new system by buying more when i can upgrade to SSD's later down the road when more funds become available... Let me know

If you're getting the 3570, get the unlocked version or don't buy it at all. Get the i5-3450 instead and save money there. There's no noticeable speed differences between 3.1 and 3.3GHz. The specs are virtually identical. Also I never recommend purchasing that Vengeance RAM with the tall heat spreaders.
September 25, 2012 9:59:43 PM

alright thanks for all the responses,

I understand what you are all saying in regards to the 550ti not being the greatest gpu but let me ask a few questions.

being that its not great, im currently running games like CODMW3 on a pentium dual core 2ghz and getting maybe 30fps with the 550, when I look at my cpu monitor its telling me its capped out on pretty much every game i play leading me to believe I need to upgrade the cpu which begets a mobo and ram. I understand its not a screaming build with the 550ti but with that build I feel as though I could easily upgrade to a better gpu at another time. So with this would i still get reasonable performance thats more consistent?

In regards to the I3 dual core, I would be fantastically interested in that, I just in my mind, felt like why buy a dual core when i can get a quad. I know not all programs will use all 4 cores, but i also know they are made for a reason =p

Let me know what you think on all that, Im looking into the builds recommended now

best,
J
September 25, 2012 10:02:47 PM

Best answer selected by jhowell.
September 25, 2012 10:05:46 PM

also I have worked up the prices of the items sent to me via lighter17, Seems i can get a far superior graphics card whilst staying within my budget. If possible if someone oculd give me a second opinion to that build I would love to hear it. I like it, love hte price, and feel like I would get insane gaming vs what I have now
September 25, 2012 10:11:40 PM

i5 and H77 mobo, is going to be better than i3 and H77, in the future. At the moment, not that many games really make use of 4 cores, but that will inevitably change. The problem you've got is, whilst your bottleneck NOW is you processor, when you upgrade that, your bottleneck is going to be GPU. You wouldn't really get the full benefit of i3, let alone i5.
If you really don't want to upgrade GPU, at the moment, you'd just as well go to i5-3450, then, when you DO upgrade GPU, you'll get the max benefit, longer term.
September 25, 2012 10:20:23 PM

jhowell said:
also I have worked up the prices of the items sent to me via lighter17, Seems i can get a far superior graphics card whilst staying within my budget. If possible if someone oculd give me a second opinion to that build I would love to hear it. I like it, love hte price, and feel like I would get insane gaming vs what I have now

Certainly would give you a big boost from where you are. If you could afford the bit extra to use i3-3220 and ASRock H77M mobo, it would be even better. By the way, there's no benefit to 1600 MHz RAM. SandyBridge can only use 1333 MHz, you need IvyBridge to run at 1600 MHz.
September 25, 2012 10:28:13 PM

fair enough,

I think I would rather hold off on the GPU because even know the 550 ti isn't the best card on the market I dont believe by any stretch its terrible... I could be using alot worse =p Eventually yes I will definitely want to upgrade the graphics to something higher end but i feel for my needs, especially saying I dont mind turning things down setting wise, I will get rid of the most immidiate bottle neck, which is causing games to run under 20 fps. When the cpu isn't at load, I can pull 50+ fps which is fine by me...

Thanks to all for the info. I'll be getting the h77 mobo listed with the i5-3450, the 8 gigs of patriot ram with the 500w psu.

tomshardware pulls it off again.
September 25, 2012 10:41:18 PM

malbuff would you recommend since im going to go with the 3450 that I just jump on the 1600 train now? seems like they are the same price?
September 25, 2012 10:42:13 PM

or does it even matter
September 25, 2012 10:48:25 PM

jhowell said:
I think I would rather hold off on the GPU because even know the 550 ti isn't the best card on the market I dont believe by any stretch its terrible... I could be using alot worse =p Eventually yes I will definitely want to upgrade the graphics to something higher end but i feel for my needs, especially saying I dont mind turning things down setting wise, I will get rid of the most immidiate bottle neck, which is causing games to run under 20 fps. When the cpu isn't at load, I can pull 50+ fps which is fine by me....

One thing you can do to analyze your current situation is to turn down the screen resolution used in your games. If the frame rate goes up significantly then you know that you're GPU limited. If frame rate doesn't change much then you're either CPU limited or you have a balanced system.

jhowell said:
I'll be getting the h77 mobo listed with the i5-3450, the 8 gigs of patriot ram with the 500w psu.

This will work but just be aware that the i5 costs about $60 more than the i3. If you aren't able to add more money to increase your upgrade budget you'll end up with a lesser video card when you upgrade.

An i3 paired with a 7870 or 660 will provide better gaming performance in almost all current games than an i5 paired with a 7850. The i5/7850 system will provide better performance in the future if games start making more use of the additional cores. There's a pretty good chance that will happen, but I thought the same thing a couple of years ago and I'm still waiting on game developers to get their act together. :( 
September 25, 2012 10:53:41 PM

lighter17 said:
One thing you can do to analyze your current situation is to turn down the screen resolution used in your games. If the frame rate goes up significantly then you know that you're GPU limited. If frame rate doesn't change much then you're either CPU limited or you have a balanced system.

This will work but just be aware that the i5 costs about $60 more than the i3. If you aren't able to add more money to increase your upgrade budget you'll end up with a lesser video card when you upgrade.

An i3 paired with a 7870 or 660 will provide better gaming performance in almost all current games than an i5 paired with a 7850. The i5/7850 system will provide better performance in the future if games start making more use of the additional cores. There's a pretty good chance that will happen, but I thought the same thing a couple of years ago and I'm still waiting on game developers to get their act together. :( 

That seems very logical to me. I have been hearing people make the argument that eventually quad cores will become more useful but eventually I'll start making more money and I'll buy an i-12 or w.e the new shiny toy of that month is...

Im glad you posted something because I almost went for it. Do you know of a GPU that has similar performance but is maybe 30ish dolalrs cheaper? I dont want to sacrafice too much on the gpu but its getting close. 500 is already an extension of my budget. What you listed was PERFECT excep the mail in rebates put me about 30 bones over. Its just alot for me at this time. Let me know what you think and i'll keep looking as well.

I feel like your answers are practical and useful, so thanks for that!
September 25, 2012 10:55:40 PM

or as another option should i just try to hold off on the PSU and see if what works with mine, and get the gpu and be a pig in **** if it all works? These damn decisions are too tough, makes it almost not worth it... almost =p
September 25, 2012 11:11:49 PM

lighter17 said:

I Actually have a solution, I looked at the MOBO you recommended and it is showing it takes 1333 mem, should i just downgrade the mem to save a few bucks? or is there a really noticeable difference in doing that
September 25, 2012 11:12:10 PM

I'm certainly not going to recommend sticking with an old PSU (that thing called Sod's Law). Possibly a cheaper option for GPU, is HD6870 (even HD6850). Decent GPU's. Last generation, and not as good power efficiency, so you can pick one up a bit cheaper, but still good performer.
September 25, 2012 11:20:26 PM

jhowell said:
I Actually have a solution, I looked at the MOBO you recommended and it is showing it takes 1333 mem, should i just downgrade the mem to save a few bucks? or is there a really noticeable difference in doing that

No you want to use highest fully supported speed for processor; 1600 MHz with Ivybridge. So little difference in price, no point in less.
September 25, 2012 11:24:00 PM

malbluff said:
No you want to use highest fully supported speed for processor; 1600 MHz with Ivybridge. So little difference in price, no point in less.

You the man, I think I like the idea of the 6870, It seems that everyone is saying they are running that GPU on high settings at 50+ fps so for me that might be the solution I need.

Also I will stick to the patriot 1600 ddr3. hi5's!

best,
Jer
September 26, 2012 12:16:37 AM

one last question if anyone has a moment, I gues i haven't really considered an AMD process, could someone advise me on this being I know they are much cheaper...

again, I just want to run something smoothly, let me know what you think
September 26, 2012 12:43:13 AM

The AMD FX CPUs aren't good performers in games. The older Phenom II 965 BE actually outperforms the FX-4100.

I've found that the Newegg system combos usually include some suspect parts, most frequently the PSU (such as this deal's Raidmax). You may want an SSD but with your budget there are better ways to spend your money.

A Radeon 6870 might be adequate for your current needs but I wouldn't consider it a cost effective upgrade. Your budget should allow at least a 7850, and that's the least powerful GPU I would be looking to get.
September 26, 2012 12:48:27 AM

lighter17 said:
The AMD FX CPUs aren't good performers in games. The older Phenom II 965 BE actually outperforms the FX-4100.

I've found that the Newegg system combos usually include some suspect parts, most frequently the PSU (such as this deal's Raidmax). You may want an SSD but with your budget there are better ways to spend your money.

A Radeon 6870 might be adequate for your current needs but I wouldn't consider it a cost effective upgrade. Your budget should allow at least a 7850, and that's the least powerful GPU I would be looking to get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with that card im at 490 with shipping... which is in my budget...

So with the i3 dual core, 8 gigs, that GPU a 500w psu, and the asrocks mobo we talked about, you feel good that Ill have 40-60 fps on most of the games i'd want to play?
September 26, 2012 2:00:16 AM

jhowell said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with that card im at 490 with shipping... which is in my budget...

So with the i3 dual core, 8 gigs, that GPU a 500w psu, and the asrocks mobo we talked about, you feel good that Ill have 40-60 fps on most of the games i'd want to play?

I thought you were getting the i5. You shouldn't be near $500 with an i3. At the screen resolutions you indicated you should have no trouble getting 40+ fps on all current games at the highest quality settings.
September 26, 2012 2:15:53 AM

none of it was really that expensive except the GPU... the gpu is what did the whole thing in, I couldnt' get the i5 with the gpu, was too much.

unless im missing something... Most places that were different in price from newegg were a difference of 10 bucks and I'd pay that difference to have everything shipped from the same place.

Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model ...
Item #: N82E16820220705
Memory Standard Return Policy
$42.99
$40.99
Patriot 8GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PSF8GUSB
Item #: N82E16820220226
Memory Standard Return Policy
$6.99
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in ...
Item #: N82E16817152028
Standard Return Policy
$54.99
$39.99
ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814121623
VGA Standard Return Policy
$219.99
$187.99
* ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157236
Standard Return Policy
$74.99
$66.99
1 Yr Service Net Replacement Plan For Item# N82E16813157236
$9.99
DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #1068868
-$9.99
DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #56147
-$6.99
Subtotal $335.96
Tax $0.00
UPS Guaranteed 3 Day $10.64
Order Total $346.60
Order #: 136887896(shipped via UPS Guaranteed 3 Day)
Intel Core i3-2130 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32130
Item #: N82E16819115092
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$129.99
Subtotal $129.99
Tax $0.00
UPS Guaranteed 3 Day $0.00
Order Total $129.99
Combined Grand Total $476.59
September 26, 2012 2:17:07 AM

sorry for pasting it twice, if you tell me now im sure i can adjust the order, hasn't fully processed yet, can call first thing, but from allt he work I did i couldnt' find a way to get any better prices or parts and stay under 500
September 26, 2012 4:24:29 AM

I think the discrepancy was that I was looking at after rebate prices and you're looking at before rebate. With best source pricing the i5 upgrade would have been about $531 with shipping before $40 in rebates:

From Newegg:
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $49.99 after promo code EMCNAHE59 (before $20 rebate)

Motherboard/Memory combo: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard bundled with Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVI38G160C9K $102.98 (before $10 rebate)

Video Card: ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $187.99 (before $10 rebate)

From NCIX:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.2GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail $190.39

Total: $531.35 before $40 in rebates

That may not have fit your budget, but I guess it's too late anyway unless you can cancel your order. If it hasn't been shipped you might want to see if you can call and change the PSU. Raidmax isn't a well respected brand. The Corsair I've linked is only several dollars more up front but includes a $20 rebate and it's from a well known company.
September 26, 2012 4:41:41 AM

lighter17 said:
I think the discrepancy was that I was looking at after rebate prices and you're looking at before rebate. With best source pricing the i5 upgrade would have been about $531 with shipping before $40 in rebates:

From Newegg:
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $49.99 after promo code EMCNAHE59 (before $20 rebate)

Motherboard/Memory combo: ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard bundled with Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVI38G160C9K $102.98 (before $10 rebate)

Video Card: ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $187.99 (before $10 rebate)

From NCIX:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.2GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail $190.39

Total: $531.35 before $40 in rebates

That may not have fit your budget, but I guess it's too late anyway unless you can cancel your order. If it hasn't been shipped you might want to see if you can call and change the PSU. Raidmax isn't a well respected brand. The Corsair I've linked is only several dollars more up front but includes a $20 rebate and it's from a well known company.

Ya i guess thats a great point your making with those... didn't see that combo deal.

I can however call and adjust some some the sku's tomorrow, for 60 dollars more im getting a way better cpu and mobo. If nothing else can i use the old psu for 2 weeks and jsut purchase a new one after that? Or do i run the risk of blowing the thing up?
September 26, 2012 4:58:42 AM

Do you know what model your current PSU is? Or at least how many amps it's rated for on the 12V rail?

Unless it's good quality I wouldn't risk using it with your new components.

If money's tight right now you might want to hold off on purchasing the GPU right now. Get everything else and try to save a little more until you can afford the GPU.
September 26, 2012 5:03:30 AM

lighter17 said:
Do you know what model your current PSU is? Or at least how many amps it's rated for on the 12V rail?

Unless it's good quality I wouldn't risk using it with your new components.

If money's tight right now you might want to hold off on purchasing the GPU right now. Get everything else and try to save a little more until you can afford the GPU.

PSU http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

I guess ya i could just use the 550ti, just had my hopes on some proper gaming in my future lol.

I had them return all the items and soon as it posts i'll re do the order with what you sent, thanks for catching that, I would have ended up wtih a dual core when I could have had the i5 for a tid more.

Really owe you one on this deal.
September 26, 2012 5:17:16 AM

Unfortunately 20A on the 12V rail isn't really enough to power an i5 quad and a 7850. :cry: 

Hopefully it won't take you long to save up the extra you need for the video card.
September 26, 2012 5:30:41 AM

lighter17 said:
Unfortunately 20A on the 12V rail isn't really enough to power an i5 quad and a 7850. :cry: 

Hopefully it won't take you long to save up the extra you need for the video card.

Na it wont take long at all, its just stickin to a budget is all... Probably get it in a few weeks and wont be an issue, or hell even spend a few more bucks and get something nicer and or an SLI option... not that im going to use it, but sometimes you dont buy toys to use them, sometimes just to have them in case =)
!