question about USB hubs?

troopr

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2001
I just bought a Belkin USB hub and plugged my Logitech mouseman wheel optical into it. I then plugged the hub into the USB port on te mainboard. I now get some serious lag with the mouse. When I plug te mouse into the USB port directly on the mainboard, it performs flawlessly.

Any opinions or coments as to why the lag thru the USB hub??

system:
mobo)GA-7DXR
AMD 1.4

NOT OC'd, nothing in the bios changed. Haven't altered anything on tis system yet. It's only 3 weeks old. THanx for your replies.

troopr

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2001
It does have a power cord but I opted to let it get its power thru the USB port on the computer. I have a 340W PSU which shouldnt be taxed to much with what I'm running.

mobo: GA-7DXR
AMD 1.4
GeForce 3 card
SB Live X-Gamer 5.1
teac cd-rom & floppy
seagate barracuda IV 80GB

thats it! your basic lean machine.

Also i'm wondering why theres a USB periferal screwed in to the back below the sound card with 2 USB ports. So 2 usb ports on the mainboard and 2 additional. The adition usb ports are connected to the mobo via a small cable.

Thanx for your help

Joe

FatBurger

Illustrious
It does have a power cord but I opted to let it get its power thru the USB port on the computer.

Plug in the power cord. At the very least, you'll know I'm wrong. Hubs do not provide power to components. Only something like a printer or scanner (with it's own power supply) can use unpowered hubs. That's why I don't have my web cam plugged into my unpowered hub. Of course, I've never tried it in there. It might work, I'll have to see.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

Philisoft

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2001
Definatley try plugging in the PSU for the hub. I have a hub and many of the devices lose connections or time out, or completley turn off (game controllers) if it has to draw from the motherboard power supply.

-Phil Crosby
http://www.philisoft.com
http://www.graphics-design.com