Need help with upgrading

Hey i need help upgrading, i have around 150 GBP which is around 235-240 dollers my current set up is this

AMD FX6100 6core processor @ 3.3GHZ
ATI Radeon GDDR5 1GB 7750
8GB ram DDR3 rated at 1300mhz
1TB 7200 RPM Harddrive rated at 5.9 in Windows index
AMD Stock heatsink
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
700WATT PSU (some crappy brand i think it is)

i think thats everything, at the moment i want to upgrade it so i can get the best possible FPS out of my games, anyone who suggests me things i will be really grateful, please dont link things that dont ship to the UK (like new egg) im mainly looking for another GPU or Water cooler as my system gets pretty hot as i leave it on around 18-20 hours a day, personally i was looking at the ATI Radeon HD 7870 Core Edition 2GB but im not sure if its good or not plus its around 20GBP out my budget but thats not too bad.

Thanks and as i said any input is appreciated
11 answers Last reply
More about need upgrading
  1. 1, 2, 3 - upgrade your PSU to a quality 500w+ unit

    4 - the AMD 7870 is very good modern video card, cant go wrong with it but even the AMD 7850 is a good upgrade for you.

    5 - a budget cooler to OC your FX-6

    with those three upgrades, you will have a good gaming PC
  2. Tekyteky said:
    Hey i need help upgrading, i have around 150 GBP which is around 235-240 dollers my current set up is this

    AMD FX6100 6core processor @ 3.3GHZ
    ATI Radeon GDDR5 1GB 7750
    8GB ram DDR3 rated at 1300mhz
    1TB 7200 RPM Harddrive rated at 5.9 in Windows index
    AMD Stock heatsink
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    700WATT PSU (some crappy brand i think it is)

    i think thats everything, at the moment i want to upgrade it so i can get the best possible FPS out of my games, anyone who suggests me things i will be really grateful, please dont link things that dont ship to the UK (like new egg) im mainly looking for another GPU or Water cooler as my system gets pretty hot as i leave it on around 18-20 hours a day, personally i was looking at the ATI Radeon HD 7870 Core Edition 2GB but im not sure if its good or not plus its around 20GBP out my budget but thats not too bad.

    Thanks and as i said any input is appreciated


    just to say im also looking for maybe a cheap solid state drive so i can put windows on there when i do a clean re installation of it but im not too fussed about one.
  3. dirtyferret said:
    1, 2, 3 - upgrade your PSU to a quality 500w+ unit

    4 - the AMD 7870 is very good modern video card, cant go wrong with it but even the AMD 7850 is a good upgrade for you.

    5 - a budget cooler to OC your FX-6

    with those three upgrades, you will have a good gaming PC


    my current PSU is 750 watts with 80+ efficiency but i think the brand isnt well known, it isnt an antec or anything popular branded like that
  4. just to also say, i overclocked my FX6100 for 4.1 GHZ in the amd overdrives tool but it turns off aero and theres no way to put it back on, can i fix this somehow?
  5. Tekyteky said:
    my current PSU is 750 watts with 80+ efficiency but i think the brand isnt well known, it isnt an antec or anything popular branded like that


    both those figures are meaningless unless independently tested. it does not need to be a popular brand, just solidly built
  6. dirtyferret said:
    both those figures are meaningless unless independently tested. it does not need to be a popular brand, just solidly built


    oh i see, but do you know why when i overclock my windows aero effect turns off, and also would this be a major upgrade http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2GB-XFX-ATI-Radeon-HD-7850-Core-Edition-4800MHz-GDDR5-28nm-GPU-860MHz-1024-Cores-/261163668427?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item3cce9153cb meaning would games like wow on ultra increase in frames by alot because at the moment in crowded areas i only get like 10-20fps even less.
  7. the 7850 is a very good upgrade over a 7750 and run WoW on ultra with no problem

    i don't know why aero turns off, perhaps if you dial back some of the OC and see what results you get back. as is, your CPU can run WoW with no issue even at stock speeds
  8. dirtyferret said:
    the 7850 is a very good upgrade over a 7750 and run WoW on ultra with no problem

    i don't know why aero turns off, perhaps if you dial back some of the OC and see what results you get back. as is, your CPU can run WoW with no issue even at stock speeds


    so basically just go up in 100's ? for example go from 3.3 to 3.4 and see if aero turns off and if it doesnt try 3.5 and keep going and see what i get? also would i benifit alot from buying this card http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1GB-Sapphire-Radeon-HD-7770-Vapor-X-GHZ-Edition-OC-5200MHz-GDDR5-28nm-GPU-110-/130833534290?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item1e76494d52 seeing as im on a budget i wanted to save abit to buy BF3, would i see a major difference in wow from just going to a 7770 from 7750 plus thats the OC version, or would i just be better off getting the 7850 2gb
  9. Tekyteky said:
    so basically just go up in 100's ? for example go from 3.3 to 3.4 and see if aero turns off and if it doesnt try 3.5 and keep going and see what i get?


    yes, to see if it truly is the CPU causing that issue.

    for me the only time aero may be turned off is when I alt tab from a game to my desktop
  10. dirtyferret said:
    yes, to see if it truly is the CPU causing that issue.

    for me the only time aero may be turned off is when I alt tab from a game to my desktop


    ah ill do that when i get some time, but what about the 7770 OC 1gb double D graphics card, is that worth 114pounds or shall i stick with the 7850 2gb?
  11. the 7850 is the better of the cards but the 7770 is a good mid level card.

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=536

    either will handle WoW
Ask a new question

Read More

Components