Folders lost after creating restricted user accounts

September 1, 2005 12:01:02 AM

Windows XP Pro sp2

While in a single-user Administrator configuration, I filled two existing
folders with 13 gigs of my CD's and tapes. Folder Locations:
C:\My Music
C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\My Music

After creating two restricted user accounts, my original (administrator)
folder tree disappeared and was replaced with a new folder tree with empty
folders. This one is identical to the two new folder trees appearing in the
new accounts.

Windows Explorer cannot find my original folders and Search cannot find them.

I tried to restore to a point in time prior to creating the restricted
accounts but Restore would not do a restore.

System resources indicated that the 13 gigs are still taking up space on the
hard drive.
Windows Media Player cannot find the files anymore.
How can I make Win Explorer see these folders?
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:17:14 PM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:01:02 -0700, Pat1950 wrote:

> Windows XP Pro sp2
>
> While in a single-user Administrator configuration, I filled two existing
> folders with 13 gigs of my CD's and tapes. Folder Locations:
> C:\My Music
> C:\Documents and Settings\Pat\My Music
>
> After creating two restricted user accounts, my original (administrator)
> folder tree disappeared and was replaced with a new folder tree with empty
> folders. This one is identical to the two new folder trees appearing in the
> new accounts.
>
> Windows Explorer cannot find my original folders and Search cannot find them.
>
> I tried to restore to a point in time prior to creating the restricted
> accounts but Restore would not do a restore.
>
> System resources indicated that the 13 gigs are still taking up space on the
> hard drive.
> Windows Media Player cannot find the files anymore.
> How can I make Win Explorer see these folders?

You were using the default built in Administrator account when you created
your music folders. When you created a new account, the built in account
left the welcome screen and became hidden. This behavior is "by design" as
normally the built in account is used for troubleshooting - not everyday
administrator tasks or everyday use.

You have XP Pro so you can still access that account by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the welcome screen. A Win2000 style logon window will
appear. Type in the name you used with the account that's disappeared and
password (if it had one). You need to do a few things once you log on to
this account.

Create another user in the administrator group (this one will appear on the
welcome screen). Then disable simple file sharing (Folder Options> View).
If Media Player is your default player, check Tools> Options and remove the
check to protect content. Next move the old account's music into C:\Music.
Make sure sharing and permissions for the C:\Music folder allow access to
your other account(s).

When you log back on to one of the other accounts, you should be able to
see and access the C:\Music folder and its contents.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User