I5 3750k z77 v pro hd 7950 gaming build suggestions please!

im building a computer for mostly gaming and watching movies and streaming. it is my first time help from wiser people will be appreciated. ive started the process of buying parts already maybe i should have registered and asked sooner instead of just looking around.

CPU - I5 3750K
MOBO - ASUS Z77 VPRO
RAM - GSKILL RIPSAW 8GB 2X4 DDR3 1600 12800
GPU - RADEON HD 7950 BOOST VERSION
PSU - 750w idk which brand yet
HDD - WESTERN DIGITAL 640 GB 7200 ITS FROM MY OLD PC
MONITOR - MY SAMSUNG 36 IN TV
OS - I HAD VISTA PREMIUM ON OLD HARD DRIVE
CASE - 9601R Black Steel ATX Full Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811353010 i bought it with the mother board for 279.00$ together at newegg

do i really need an ssd for gaming and which version of hd7950 should i get for overclocking and is that the best choice for around 300$ and is that good ram choice is tv for screen a big deal? is getting windows 7 important? please help me on improving the choices. thanks alot guys.


what do yall think of this build
20 answers Last reply
More about 3750k 7950 gaming build suggestions please
  1. before i made my tomshareware account i used to just read stuff i stumble upon when searching for info on things about computers and such. i thought people here helped answering questions and problems quick with good answers now that i registered and ask for help i see noone really replies..
  2. This psu is much better xfx pro550w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013
    This card is good for overclocking gigabyte 7950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414
  3. Agreed, the XFX PSU would be better. As far as the SSD goes, you do notice some faster load times and autosaves and such but it isn't really what you buy an SSD for. Its about overall system responsiveness, and that is a matter of personal preference. I wouldn't run a system without an SSD now that I've grown accustomed to it, its like the cable modem vs dial-up. Not many people can go back to dialup.

    I've recently purchased a 90GB for $70, and there are 120GB drives for not much more, so when you consider the current prices of mechanical hard drives its not a bad idea.
  4. I would recommend getting windows 7. Your vista might not even work with a new motherboard if its a oem copy.
    Also you should get a cpu cooler for that i5 3570k. This is a good one cooler master hyper 212 evo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
  5. thanks for all the replies and yes i was just looking into how im gonna cool my stuff ill check that cpu cooler out what else should i do to keep low temps, and for psu i do plan on upgrading to crossfire or sli one day maybe and i dont wanna have to get another psu then or for any other upgrades in the soon future
  6. oh and so far ive purchased the case and the asus z77 v pro motherboard hope thats not bad
  7. Here is a great deal on a psu that you can crossfire with xfx pro750w http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59617&vpn=P1750SNLB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1265
  8. definately gonna get that cooler you posted how does mail in rebate work how do i get the money back
  9. im stuck on choosing what kinda GPU set up i want like what sli or cross fire set up where i can get 1 card now and 1 card later or should i just go with 1 good GPU right now thats how im gonna choose my psu i believe my motherboard is sli cf ready so i should get a psu that supports it to right?
  10. vannytran said:
    definately gonna get that cooler you posted how does mail in rebate work how do i get the money back

    Just click the print rebate link and it will give you instructions on what to do. Most the time you get the rebate in a prepaid card but some also let you get it in a check.
  11. vannytran said:
    im stuck on choosing what kinda GPU set up i want like what sli or cross fire set up where i can get 1 card now and 1 card later or should i just go with 1 good GPU right now thats how im gonna choose my psu i believe my motherboard is sli cf ready so i should get a psu that supports it to right?


    Get the xfx pro750w psu and the hd 7950 then in about a year or so get a second hd 7950.
  12. can you crossfire 2 different radeon gpu's?
  13. Yes you can crossfire to different 7950. You couldn't crossfire a 6950 with a 7950 if thats what you mean.
  14. thanks strife your very helpful. looks like i wont be able to get that psu before the deal is over but yeah im gonna get that gigabyte 7950 and the 750 watt psu and thats it? do you think my build is pretty good now?
  15. vannytran said:
    thanks strife your very helpful. looks like i wont be able to get that psu before the deal is over but yeah im gonna get that gigabyte 7950 and the 750 watt psu and thats it? do you think my build is pretty good now?


    Should be good for years. :D
  16. You can Crossfire video cards of the same generation, unlike Nvidia's SLI which only works with cards that have roughly identical GPUs. For example, you can Crossfire a Radeon 7950 and a 7970, but not a 6950 and a 7950. There are a few exceptions (for example, I think that the 6790 can only do CF with other 6790s and some of the erliest Ati cards aren't so robust either), but this is almost always true.
  17. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182264
    this is the psu i want to get but i dont know if the cables are to short for my full size case do anyone know if itll work out?
  18. luciferano said:
    You can Crossfire video cards of the same generation, unlike Nvidia's SLI which only works with cards that have roughly identical GPUs. For example, you can Crossfire a Radeon 7950 and a 7970, but not a 6950 and a 7950. There are a few exceptions (for example, I think that the 6790 can only do CF with other 6790s and some of the erliest Ati cards aren't so robust either), but this is almost always true.



    that was helpful so that mean you have more choices in cross fire then sli so i guess im gonna go with 7950 although before my research i really wanted nvidia
  19. vannytran said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182264
    this is the psu i want to get but i dont know if the cables are to short for my full size case do anyone know if itll work out?


    The cables on that one might be a little short. This is a good psu that will work in a full case corsair tx750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Systems Product