CPU Overheating problems

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what is going on with my pc, Diagnostics tell me my cpu is at 88C, could someone explain?
19 answers Last reply
More about overheating problems
  1. Simon9330 said:
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what is going on with my pc, Diagnostics tell me my cpu is at 88C, could someone explain?
    http://oi49.tinypic.com/2d7djpg.jpg


    How old is your computer and is it dusty?

    Is it overclocked?

    Are you using the stock heatsink or aftermarket cooler and if you are using an after market cooler which one?

    What are your voltages?

    What program are you using to monitor the temps?
  2. Try running "RealTemp" as a check.
  3. My computer is about 10 months old, I have cleaned the dust in most areas. And I have just recently put a hyper 212 plus in place of the stock heat sink and fan. I believe the voltage for the CPU was around 1.7V? In the the picture there was core 1.0, speedfan and hmonior. Speedfan and hmonitor showed the CPU temp to be 88C but all three showed the core temps to be at 30C.
  4. Please verify the 1.7V - too high for the CPU.
  5. Yes sorry I'm not at home, I'll be home in a few minutes
  6. 1.7 volts is to much power. If it is really at 1.7 volts you had better lower it fast or you run the risk of frying the CPU. I would also check to make sure the heatsink fan is working,the heatsink is seated right and make sure it is fully locked down.
  7. Do not exceed 1.375 V on that CPU even though Intel's limit is something like 1.502 V.
  8. Yes I was mistaken. I meant 1.072V for the CPU
  9. Simon9330 said:
    Yes I was mistaken. I meant 1.072V for the CPU

    Then you are fine as far as voltage is concerned. Look for the problem elsewhere. Start by re-seating the CPU/heatsink using Arctic Silver 5 or better. Check using RealTemp.

    The Hyper 212 plus is a good heatsink for this purpose. I have the Hyper 212 EVO on my i7 3770K OCed to 4.5 GHz, and the temps hover around 42 degs. C

    Also, please follow rds1220's recommendations and do a good cleanout of the computer.
  10. Those voltges are fine. As I mentioned above I would check to make sure the heatsink fan is working,the heatsink is seated right and make sure it is fully locked down.
  11. Also another thing. When you put the new cooler on did you clean off the old thermal paste and re-apply new thermal paste? If you did my other thougt would be you might have used to little or to much thermal paste. You only need a small dot about 5-5.5 mm's in size or about the size of a pea.
  12. Thank you all for your help. I have just installed the hyper 212 plus so everything is connected correctly and the fan is working fine. I'm just confused because all four of my core temps are hovering around 31C (using realtemp, coretemp, and speedfan) but speedfan says my CPU is at 88C. Is my computer safe from overheating etc?
  13. Simon9330 said:
    Thank you all for your help. I have just installed the hyper 212 plus so everything is connected correctly and the fan is working fine. I'm just confused because all four of my core temps are hovering around 31C (using realtemp, coretemp, and speedfan) but speedfan says my CPU is at 88C. Is my computer safe from overheating etc?

    How did you re-seat the CPU/heatsink so fast?

    If RealTemp says 31 C you are fine.
  14. Ubrales said:
    How did you re-seat the CPU/heatsink so fast?

    If RealTemp says 31 C you are fine.


    Sorry If I gave the wrong impression, I had installed it prior to asking the initial question. I think I might have applied too much thermal paste, do you think that could be the issue?
  15. Simon9330 said:
    Sorry If I gave the wrong impression, I had installed it prior to asking the initial question. I think I might have applied too much thermal paste, do you think that could be the issue?

    Too much thermal compound is not good. Apply as thin a layer as possible.
  16. It could be to much thermal paste could cause a problem but speed fan tends tobe wrong and give false readings.The other two programs you are using what are they saying the overall temps are for the CPU as a whole not the individual cores.
  17. In my BIOS it says that my cpu temp is around 27C so do you think that Speedfan is just giving a faulty reading?
  18. Yes those temps are fine. I don't like speedfan and never use it for that reason. It tends to give bad readings.
  19. Awesome, thank you guys for all your help! Have a good weekend :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs