User data on a separate partition

Hi guys,

I was wondering whether it is possible with XP to have users' data on a
different partition, a la Unix. I know that right-cliking on My Documents
provide a way to specify a target for that folder, but 1) some data still
remain under Document and Settings somehow and 2) it only applies to one
user. Anybody know a better solution?

Thanks

Alexis
3 answers Last reply
More about user data separate partition

    For that info try reading kb 307889

    "Alexis" wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I was wondering whether it is possible with XP to have users' data on a
    > different partition, a la Unix. I know that right-cliking on My Documents
    > provide a way to specify a target for that folder, but 1) some data still
    > remain under Document and Settings somehow and 2) it only applies to one
    > user. Anybody know a better solution?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Alexis

    Thanks for the brilliant answer!

    One question though: the article mentions moving "c:/My Documents" but it
    ashould be the same with "Documents and Settings" right? Also, how to perform
    that safely? Since the "Documents and Settings" folder contain files required
    by the system (such as registry, ...), I cannot just move then around.
    Say I want to move "Documents and Settings" to the drive D:, is the
    following procedure safe:
    1) Copy everything in "C:/Documents and Settings" to D:
    2) create the mounted drive (i.e. mount D: as "C:/Documents and Settings")
    3) delete the "C:/Documents and Settings"

    Thanks again

    Alexis

    "Andrew E." wrote:
    > For that info try reading kb 307889
    >
    > "Alexis" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi guys,
    > >
    > > I was wondering whether it is possible with XP to have users' data on a
    > > different partition, a la Unix. I know that right-cliking on My Documents
    > > provide a way to specify a target for that folder, but 1) some data still
    > > remain under Document and Settings somehow and 2) it only applies to one
    > > user. Anybody know a better solution?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Alexis

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 02:03:02 -0700 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, Alexis favored us with...
    > One question though: the article mentions moving "c:/My Documents" but it
    > ashould be the same with "Documents and Settings" right?

    It should be, in a logical world.

    Instead, you'll want to read
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=236621
    which tells you not to do it and then explains how. :-)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

Configuration Partition Microsoft Customization Windows XP