Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

Hi!

I have new nootebook Acer 1522Lmi with Realtek 8169 ethernet card
(10/100/1000Mbit) and old ADSL router 3com Office connect 812 Adsl (it has
10Mbit hub). I can't get them to communicate although both works with other
hardware (my card works with different router and my router with different
ethernet card). Windows XP says that Local area network is connected, but I
cannot even ping my router, I don't recieve any packets. Can you help me
resolve the problem? Is it some sort of incompatibility? What can I try to
do?

Thank you

Joe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have new nootebook Acer 1522Lmi with Realtek 8169 ethernet card
> (10/100/1000Mbit) and old ADSL router 3com Office connect 812 Adsl (it has
> 10Mbit hub). I can't get them to communicate although both works with other
> hardware (my card works with different router and my router with different
> ethernet card). Windows XP says that Local area network is connected, but I
> cannot even ping my router, I don't recieve any packets. Can you help me
> resolve the problem? Is it some sort of incompatibility? What can I try to
> do?
>
> Thank you
>
> Joe

Have you tried changing the NIC from auto or full duplex to half duplex?

Pablo

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

Joe,

I can't resist but to ask some basic questions. I ask this one a lot when
people say they can't ping something, because not being able to ping
something is only the tip of the iceberg. What does 'can't ping' mean?

o 'request timed out'- That's a tough one- device you're pinging isn't
responding - could have many reasons.
o 'destination net unreachable'. This is often because the ip address on
your laptop is on a different subnet than
your router. Check that. If the laptop has 169.65.124.12 and your
router has 192.168.1.1- that's your problem.

On older 3com hubs, there is some memory in those routers/hubs and it does
keep a kind of routing table. I spend over four hours trying to diagnose a
problem that you describe where I was getting 'destination net unreachable',
and all the ip's were on the proper subnet. Someone said "did you power the
hub down and back up?" I hadn't because I figured it was a solid state
device that didn't 'remember' anything about previous connections. Try
that, and your problem might go away.

don't discard the cable. Many years of life have been removed from many a
network tech trying to fix a 'computer/hardware' problem when the patch
cable they used was simply bad. Also, try different ports on the hub-
sometimes (although rare) they do go bad.

Paul

"Joe" <just_me@inmail.sk> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have new nootebook Acer 1522Lmi with Realtek 8169 ethernet card
> (10/100/1000Mbit) and old ADSL router 3com Office connect 812 Adsl (it has
> 10Mbit hub). I can't get them to communicate although both works with
other
> hardware (my card works with different router and my router with different
> ethernet card). Windows XP says that Local area network is connected, but
> cannot even ping my router, I don't recieve any packets. Can you help me
> resolve the problem? Is it some sort of incompatibility? What can I try to
> do?
>
> Thank you
>
> Joe

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

Yes I've tried to change duplex settings and I 've install the latest NIC
driver, but still the same.
Joe
"Rick Wintjen" <rwintjen@N0swbell.5P4M.net.P1E45E> wrote in message
> Joe wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have new nootebook Acer 1522Lmi with Realtek 8169 ethernet card
>> (10/100/1000Mbit) and old ADSL router 3com Office connect 812 Adsl (it
>> has 10Mbit hub). I can't get them to communicate although both works with
>> other hardware (my card works with different router and my router with
>> different ethernet card). Windows XP says that Local area network is
>> connected, but I cannot even ping my router, I don't recieve any packets.
>> Can you help me resolve the problem? Is it some sort of incompatibility?
>> What can I try to do?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Joe
>>

> Have you tried changing the NIC from auto or full duplex to half duplex?

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

Hi Pablo,

I tried everything you wrote, but what I all can can conclude after so much
trying is that there is some sort of incompatibility between these two
devices (router and network card), because as I sad that each one works
perfectly with other device (different router resp. network card) only if I
put them together I cannot establish any connection although router and
windows indicate that network area is connected. Maybe it has something to
do with this new 10/100/1000 Mbit NIC, because, well, I'm quite sure that I
do the configuration right. Also I've heard that this Realtek 8169 is not
the high quality NIC.

Joe

"Pablo" <jnaut_nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Joe,
>
> I can't resist but to ask some basic questions. I ask this one a lot when
> people say they can't ping something, because not being able to ping
> something is only the tip of the iceberg. What does 'can't ping' mean?
>
> o 'request timed out'- That's a tough one- device you're pinging isn't
> responding - could have many reasons.
> o 'destination net unreachable'. This is often because the ip address on
> your laptop is on a different subnet than
> your router. Check that. If the laptop has 169.65.124.12 and your
> router has 192.168.1.1- that's your problem.
>
> On older 3com hubs, there is some memory in those routers/hubs and it does
> keep a kind of routing table. I spend over four hours trying to diagnose
> problem that you describe where I was getting 'destination net
> unreachable',
> and all the ip's were on the proper subnet. Someone said "did you power
> the
> hub down and back up?" I hadn't because I figured it was a solid state
> device that didn't 'remember' anything about previous connections. Try
> that, and your problem might go away.
>
> don't discard the cable. Many years of life have been removed from many a
> network tech trying to fix a 'computer/hardware' problem when the patch
> cable they used was simply bad. Also, try different ports on the hub-
> sometimes (although rare) they do go bad.
>

> Paul
>
> "Joe" <just_me@inmail.sk> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have new nootebook Acer 1522Lmi with Realtek 8169 ethernet card
>> (10/100/1000Mbit) and old ADSL router 3com Office connect 812 Adsl (it
>> has
>> 10Mbit hub). I can't get them to communicate although both works with
> other
>> hardware (my card works with different router and my router with
>> different
>> ethernet card). Windows XP says that Local area network is connected, but
>> cannot even ping my router, I don't recieve any packets. Can you help me
>> resolve the problem? Is it some sort of incompatibility? What can I try
>> do?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

ok, think I know what might be wrong... do you have autodetect speed
selected? if so try 10mbs half and see if it connects, then change to
manual 100mbs half then try full...your router should respond with the speed
lights. It might be default speed of 1000mbs (unless the router is a
1000mbs which I doubt) Let me know...

KK

> [...]
> >> has
> >> 10Mbit hub). I can't get them to communicate although both works with
> > other
> >> hardware (my card works with different router and my router with
> >> different
> >> ethernet card). Windows XP says that Local area network is connected,
but
> >> cannot even ping my router, I don't recieve any packets. Can you help
me
> >> resolve the problem? Is it some sort of incompatibility? What can I try
> >> do?
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>
> >> Joe

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity,alt.comp.networking.routers,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

It detects the speed right, I but I tried to set it manully too. Nothing
changed. The hub it only 10Mbit. That why has only one light that indicate
correct connection. Everything seems ok, but...
thank you anyway.

Joe

"Kaptain Krunch" <captainkrunch@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> does
>> > keep a kind of routing table. I spend over four hours trying to
> diagnose
>> > problem that you describe where I was getting 'destination net
>> > unreachable',
>> > and all the ip's were on the proper subnet. Someone said "did you
>> > power
>> > the
>> > hub down and back up?" I hadn't because I figured it was a solid state
>> > device that didn't 'remember' anything about previous connections. Try
>> > that, and your problem might go away.
>> >
>> > don't discard the cable. Many years of life have been removed from
>> > many
>> > network tech trying to fix a 'computer/hardware' problem when the patch
>> > cable they used was simply bad. Also, try different ports on the hub-
>> > sometimes (although rare) they do go bad.

cjt

Joe wrote:
> Hi,
> It detects the speed right, I but I tried to set it manully too. Nothing
> changed. The hub it only 10Mbit. That why has only one light that indicate
> correct connection. Everything seems ok, but...
> thank you anyway.

What is the IP address and netmask of the router's LAN side?

What is the IP address and netmask of the NIC with the problem?