Can I be my own server?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Can I be my own server, if so how? Just to run a few web pages without being limited to a few MB, or hundreds of dollars for a line, or renting space. What I have is a DSL, computer and Win2000.

Complicated Nit Picker<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 01/18/02 03:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
you COULD hos your site/ftp on your system, however on a dialup it would be very slow, the max upload speed of a 56k is 3k at best, so no matter what connection anyone connecting to your server had, they would only get the 3k (actually its a bit less but there abouts) speed, if 2 connected at the same time, then I'm sure you can figure out what would happen.
You could run IIS (this can be found under computer management/services), with IIS you can host a site and/or an ftp easily, but the security on IIS is somewhat doubtful-I'm sure you've heard of nimda virus.... Another option is Apache but this isnt as easy to set up. Ftp is easy, theres loads of ftp server software out there.
As for people actually being able to connect to your server, they will have to get the ip one way or another, since you are on a dialup, the ip will probably change each time you redial, so typing the ip in the address bar isnt an option, try www.dns2go.com this allows you to setup a name, such as hello.d2g.com and what you do is run a small program on your pc which will direct all traffic from www.hello.d2g.com to your current (or any other you want) IP.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Sorry, should have mention DSL if that matters. It sounds good, I'll have to check in to it. Thanks.

<b>Compsci</b>
No ideal what that means.

Complicated Nit Picker

G

Sort of a sideline question, W2K Advanced Server would be able to handle all that, right? What does W2K Advanced Server do, exactly (I know the name says a lot, but...). I have a 3 years old machine on a static IP connection. I am upgrading to a new machine, the old barebone system that's left after the upgrade, I can run that as a small personal web server, this would be of interest to me coz I can get W2K Advanced Server for a discounted price from my work.