Sign in with
Your question

Heat sink running max

Last response: in CPUs
February 9, 2013 1:18:45 AM

My Cpu fan (heatsink) is running at Max after I oppened the case and blew the dust away ...I don't think dust got into the heatsink because I use a compressor to blow everything away in an open area...I try setting the speed on the BIOS but it wont let me it pony has the choice of "smart fan " and I did that but noting changes my system is an old windows vista acer Aspire. M3800...I didn't touch anything from the inside ..but now the CPU fan is running at Max..I try using the "smartfan "feature on BIOS didn't work...my Cpu heat seems normal but the Cpu speed Is going crazy ..

More about : heat sink running max

a b à CPUs
February 9, 2013 1:32:35 AM

If you didn't unplug the CPU fan's power connector and plug it into the wrong power connector or anything like that, then perhaps dust was previously slowing down the fan and since it's now free, it's spinning as fast as it can. It should be fixable in the BIOS, but if not, then maybe you can connect the CPU fan to a different power connector and see if you can get it to slow down.
m
l
February 9, 2013 1:41:44 AM

What about resetting my BIOS by removing the Baterry could that also help if I do for how long should the baterry be outside? I read these in another forum
m
l
Related resources
February 9, 2013 1:59:00 AM

Do you think factory motherboards will have an extra connections for a fan...
m
l
February 9, 2013 2:00:35 AM

blazorthon said:
If you didn't unplug the CPU fan's power connector and plug it into the wrong power connector or anything like that, then perhaps dust was previously slowing down the fan and since it's now free, it's spinning as fast as it can. It should be fixable in the BIOS, but if not, then maybe you can connect the CPU fan to a different power connector and see if you can get it to slow down.

Do you think this is possible that my motherboard has an extra connection for a fan when its factory default..
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2013 2:09:03 AM

Most of my OEM machines had one or two extra fan connectors on the motherboard.

Resetting the BIOS might work.

If you do it by taking the battery out, I think that fifteen or twenty seconds is plenty of time for it. However, I don't normally do it that way and I'm not 100% sure.
m
l
!