jakemcintyre99

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I am getting really really high gpu temps when I play wow on ultra my gpu spikes to 105c!! I don't know what's causing it. This has started happening for the last 3 days I Can't really play any games without worrying about the temps I can't even play league of legends without getting 90+c I never used to have this problem I could usually have lol and wow both open and it wouldnt go that high. I opened the case got my gfx out and looked at the fan and saw loads of dust and thought oh that must be the problem I cleaned the card from dust; everything and I loaded the computer and I am getting idle of 55c I have 4 fans and even if my gpu's fans on 100% the temps can still go over 90c I am really not sure what to do my gfx is hd 5770 any help would be appretiated

even when I take the side panel of the gpu temps are still really high I also have both windows open fully and the room is rather cold
(this never used to happen)

Do you have this style of heatsink?

Click as imageshack does not have the embedded image working.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/5770f.jpg/

If you do, you may get dirt stuck on the blower/fan side. This is hard to see and should be remove by blasting air from the vent side back into the heatsink releasing it and blowing it out the fan side. Back and forth(vent to fan/fan to vent) can break up dust fairly well.

This laptop cooler gives you an idea of how dirt gets stuck on the fan/blower side of this style of heatsink.
heatsink.jpg

jakemcintyre99

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Yes that is the exact cooler I have I guess it must be that Ill try it tommorow as it's middle of the night and to noisy to start doing that thanks for the reply hope it works Ill reply in the morning with details

If you try to take the cooler apart to clean it, be careful, the plastic breaks rather easy. Hell mine was broken when i got it and the replacement was cracked too.

This was my cracked one. for reference. heatsink screws into the 4 holes on the plastic. Not the best but cheap and effective. With any luck, it will not need removal.
5770stockcooler.jpg