How do I install a new graphics card in a laptop?

nkim5252

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I have a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6065. It has Intel integrated graphics so I can't do much gaming with it. Is the procedure possible?

For any laptop that came with an integrated graphics card, it is a pretty simple one step procedure.
1. You can't

Only select high end laptops have swapable graphics cards but they all came with a discrete high end graphics card. Some laptops with midranged cards actually have the GPU mounted to the mainboard so it isn't swapable, and all integrated graphics card either mounted in the chipset on the motherboard or built into the CPU.

nkim5252

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012

I'm new to this. Isn't there a slot or something in the motherboard?

not on most laptop motherboards. laptops are designed to save a lot of space and electricity, and one way to do so is to cut unused parts off the mobo to make it lighter, and cost less. Laptop customization is MUCH more limited than its desktop counterpart. for most laptops, once you buy the laptop, the most you can do is change ram and HDD/SSD. a fw models will allow cpu changes and VERY few models allow a gpu change, as gpus aren't 100% compatible with all boards on the laptop side.

Edit: Essentially, if you have a lower end laptop(just about anything under 1k$) what you have in the laptop is what you are stuck with and there can be only few changes to it one can make.

Well technically you can since higher end Toshiba Satellite A665-S6065 can come with a nVidia GT 330m. However, you must find a GT 330m first. Ebay will likely be your best bet.

It may be as simple as inserting the GT 330m in to MXM slot on the laptop's motherboard (if it's there). It's best to Google around to see if anyone else has attempted to install a graphics card on this particular laptop.