XtremeGamer Fatal1ty vs Onboard

jayarebee84

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I understand that my system is several years old, I just do not have the money to spend on a new system so I am hoping to get the most out of what I have for the time being. Now, I have had the Creative Lab's X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series Model #SB04601-D PCI Sound Card since my last system. I recently took it out because I am experimenting with trying to get my HDTV's sound to solely be movies from VLC player and have my regular computer sounds and gaming play out of my PC's Speakers (separate post.. no luck so far).

My question is, I honestly do not see any performance boost from this sound card, I remember buying it at the store several years ago for close to $100 or so at the time and thinking wow this will boost my performance on my older system which I supposed it did. Since removing it, my gaming hasn't slowed down any nor do I feel.. or rather hear any difference to be honest. Is it possible that my Onboard sound is just as capable and the sound card is just old oudated and a waste of space and effort?

My motherboard is the ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe if that helps. And the sound card is listed in this link.

Here is also a shot of my Device Manager without the Sound Card currently installed, as I am watching/listening to movies on my old Olevia 23 inch HDTV and attempting to play Diablo and type here on my PC.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Audio cards aren't used to relieve system load these days. You're better off using the integrated audio since it's newer. Unless you're working with audio professionally or are a sound affectionado you do not need a dedicated card.

shaun_shaun

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
honestly u wont gain any performance increase from a sound card .. may be 1-2 extra fps in gaming...
did u install Realtek drivers in Windows ??.. I cant see any Realtek devise in your system... all I can see is default windows HD audio driver ..

jayarebee84

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

No I did not, since everything seemed to be working I did not think I needed to.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

If even that. The improvement in performance is so negligible that even if sound cards cost $5 I wouldn't throw any money down for one. If you want fps spend the money where is actually makes a difference.

TRENDING THREADS