Problems customizing start menu

September 1, 2005 11:04:02 AM

When I right click on start key, go to properties, click start menu, click
customize, then click on advanced, I have no options. It opens up to a
windows explorer type menu. I can't click on items to customize how my start
menu behaves because there aren't any there. Help!!
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:43:52 AM

Type in Start Run

regsvr32 /i shell32

"Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:239705A0-4CCE-465B-BA3A-78ED84472984@microsoft.com...
> When I right click on start key, go to properties, click start menu, click
> customize, then click on advanced, I have no options. It opens up to a
> windows explorer type menu. I can't click on items to customize how my start
> menu behaves because there aren't any there. Help!!
September 2, 2005 10:35:04 AM

That didn't fix it. I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

"David Candy" wrote:

> Type in Start Run
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:239705A0-4CCE-465B-BA3A-78ED84472984@microsoft.com...
> > When I right click on start key, go to properties, click start menu, click
> > customize, then click on advanced, I have no options. It opens up to a
> > windows explorer type menu. I can't click on items to customize how my start
> > menu behaves because there aren't any there. Help!!

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:24:44 AM

Make sure that you're running that command as Admin (or equivalent) user
account. Register this module as well:

regsvr32 /i browseui.dll

Restart.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> That didn't fix it. I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Type in Start Run
>>
>> regsvr32 /i shell32
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I right click on start key, go to properties, click start menu,
>> > click
>> > customize, then click on advanced, I have no options. It opens up to a
>> > windows explorer type menu. I can't click on items to customize how my
>> > start
>> > menu behaves because there aren't any there. Help!!
September 7, 2005 10:50:05 AM

I am on a network and have recently gotten a new computer. My old computer
was on the same network and I was able to customize my start menu so that
only my most recently used programs were displayed. Ever since I got this
computer I can't customize my start menu the way I could before. How do I
run that command as Admin user?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Make sure that you're running that command as Admin (or equivalent) user
> account. Register this module as well:
>
> regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
>
> Restart.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That didn't fix it. I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?
> >
> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> Type in Start Run
> >>
> >> regsvr32 /i shell32
> >>
> >> --
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> >> =================================================
> >> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:34:53 PM

>> How do I run that command as Admin user?

If the system is connected to a domain, you need to talk to the network
admin, or have them run the regsvr32 commands in your system..

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

>I am on a network and have recently gotten a new computer. My old computer
> was on the same network and I was able to customize my start menu so that
> only my most recently used programs were displayed. Ever since I got
> this
> computer I can't customize my start menu the way I could before. How do I
> run that command as Admin user?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Make sure that you're running that command as Admin (or equivalent) user
>> account. Register this module as well:
>>
>> regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
>>
>> Restart.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > That didn't fix it. I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

September 8, 2005 10:33:54 AM

I found my problem. Right click on start, properties, start menu, customize
then check the personalized menus box. That is supposed to hide any programs
I haven't used recently. That box is checked but it doesn't change anything.
Will running regsvr32 commands fix that problem or is there a patch I need
to download?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> > --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am on a network and have recently gotten a new computer. My old computer
> > was on the same network and I was able to customize my start menu so that
> > only my most recently used programs were displayed. Ever since I got
> > this
> > computer I can't customize my start menu the way I could before. How do I
> > run that command as Admin user?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Make sure that you're running that command as Admin (or equivalent) user
> >> account. Register this module as well:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
> >>
> >> Restart.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

September 8, 2005 10:38:07 AM

I found my problem. Right click on start, properties, start menu, customize
then click on use personalized menus. Checking this box should hide programs
I haven't used recently used and it doesn't. Is there a patch I need to
download or will running regsvr32 commands fix that problem?

!