Problems customizing start menu

When I right click on start key, go to properties, click start menu, click
customize, then click on advanced, I have no options. It opens up to a
windows explorer type menu. I can't click on items to customize how my start
menu behaves because there aren't any there. Help!!
7 answers Last reply
More about problems customizing start menu

    Type in Start Run

    regsvr32 /i shell32

    "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:239705A0-4CCE-465B-BA3A-78ED84472984@microsoft.com...
    > When I right click on start key, go to properties, click start menu, click
    > customize, then click on advanced, I have no options. It opens up to a
    > windows explorer type menu. I can't click on items to customize how my start
    > menu behaves because there aren't any there. Help!!

    That didn't fix it. I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Type in Start Run
    >
    > regsvr32 /i shell32

    > "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:239705A0-4CCE-465B-BA3A-78ED84472984@microsoft.com...
    > > When I right click on start key, go to properties, click start menu, click
    > > customize, then click on advanced, I have no options. It opens up to a
    > > windows explorer type menu. I can't click on items to customize how my start
    > > menu behaves because there aren't any there. Help!!

    Make sure that you're running that command as Admin (or equivalent) user
    account. Register this module as well:

    regsvr32 /i browseui.dll

    Restart.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > That didn't fix it. I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Type in Start Run
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I right click on start key, go to properties, click start menu,
    >> > click
    >> > customize, then click on advanced, I have no options. It opens up to a
    >> > windows explorer type menu. I can't click on items to customize how my
    >> > start
    >> > menu behaves because there aren't any there. Help!!

    I am on a network and have recently gotten a new computer. My old computer
    was on the same network and I was able to customize my start menu so that
    only my most recently used programs were displayed. Ever since I got this
    computer I can't customize my start menu the way I could before. How do I
    run that command as Admin user?

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Make sure that you're running that command as Admin (or equivalent) user
    > account. Register this module as well:
    >
    > regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
    >
    > Restart.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > That didn't fix it. I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Type in Start Run
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 /i shell32
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    > >> =================================================
    > >> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> How do I run that command as Admin user?

    If the system is connected to a domain, you need to talk to the network
    admin, or have them run the regsvr32 commands in your system..

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    >I am on a network and have recently gotten a new computer. My old computer
    > was on the same network and I was able to customize my start menu so that
    > only my most recently used programs were displayed. Ever since I got
    > this
    > computer I can't customize my start menu the way I could before. How do I
    > run that command as Admin user?
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Make sure that you're running that command as Admin (or equivalent) user
    >> account. Register this module as well:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
    >>
    >> Restart.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > That didn't fix it. I still have the same problem. Any suggestions?

    I found my problem. Right click on start, properties, start menu, customize
    then check the personalized menus box. That is supposed to hide any programs
    I haven't used recently. That box is checked but it doesn't change anything.
    Will running regsvr32 commands fix that problem or is there a patch I need
    to download?

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am on a network and have recently gotten a new computer. My old computer
    > > was on the same network and I was able to customize my start menu so that
    > > only my most recently used programs were displayed. Ever since I got
    > > this
    > > computer I can't customize my start menu the way I could before. How do I
    > > run that command as Admin user?
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Make sure that you're running that command as Admin (or equivalent) user
    > >> account. Register this module as well:
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
    > >>
    > >> Restart.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I found my problem. Right click on start, properties, start menu, customize
    then click on use personalized menus. Checking this box should hide programs
    I haven't used recently used and it doesn't. Is there a patch I need to
    download or will running regsvr32 commands fix that problem?

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > >> How do I run that command as Admin user?
    >
    > If the system is connected to a domain, you need to talk to the network
    > admin, or have them run the regsvr32 commands in your system..
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am on a network and have recently gotten a new computer. My old computer
    > > was on the same network and I was able to customize my start menu so that
    > > only my most recently used programs were displayed. Ever since I got
    > > this
    > > computer I can't customize my start menu the way I could before. How do I
    > > run that command as Admin user?
    > >
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Make sure that you're running that command as Admin (or equivalent) user
    > >> account. Register this module as well:
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 /i browseui.dll
    > >>
    > >> Restart.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "Phoebe" <Phoebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Configuration Start Menu Customization Windows XP