Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 26, 2012 2:29:00 AM

I built a pc around 3 to 4 years ago and the parts are really becoming outdated. Now i have time and money for a new investment into my pc. I want to keep some parts but replace the rest. Here are my specs:
X6 1055t stock speed and cooler
Asus M4A79ETD EVO motherboard
Corsair 4gb 1600 XM3
Western Digital 500gb Hard drive
BFG 1000w power supply
XFX HD 5850 stock speeds
Antec 902 case
I would really like to keep the hard drive, power supply, and ram but get another 4gb of ram. Im really looking into intel instead of AMD and Nvidia instead of ATI, i was very disappointed in them but very interested into their competitors. I would appreciate your inputs and ideas to help pick out my new parts! Thank you!

More about : upgrade

September 26, 2012 2:33:08 AM

You might want to give us a budget.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 2:33:35 AM

Your rig is still good. Just get a Hyper 212 EVO to overclock, another 4GB of RAM, a 7850, and you'll have a great rig.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 26, 2012 3:07:43 AM

I thinking the budget around $1000 but i really want to switch to intel and nvidia. Did very poorly with their products for gaming
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 4:02:41 AM

Are you sure there is problem thats not to do with software? Try These thing You may just save a buket of cash:

Firstly: Buy some more ram Its slow because there isnt enough for Window 7 64bit by it self*: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $70

Secondly: If more ram doesn't fix the problem almost instanlly reinstaling windows with up to date drivers and Bios.

Thirdly: Get a SSD (240gb my recommendation) and install on therethen let us know how its going. Your bottel necking on the hard drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $150 or a 480gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $300.

Worst comes to worst you use those in your next build. If you see a performance boost which you Will, you have SAVED $700, at that price its worth a Try.

I am shocked anyone on this site is using 4gb of ram and Windows 7 64bit and hasnt had problems with performance. You have preformance isssus with a i7-3960X, 4XGTX690 and SSD with only 4gb of ram Your hurting it and there the Most Best things out, there way out of most price ranges.

____
*windows 7 64 use in a basic VM 1.5gb of ram just to tick over smoothly, You add steam or origin on top, an anti virus, skype or team speak or something, close some brower windows, Change game, have email software running, have a USB drive hooked up and then there's your video drivers then your looking at 4gb easy You got to run a game it starts paging Paging is SLOW! very Slow on a normal hard drive.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 2:44:36 PM

captainkall said:
Are you sure there is problem thats not to do with software? Try These thing You may just save a buket of cash:

Firstly: Buy some more ram Its slow because there isnt enough for Window 7 64bit by it self*: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $70

Secondly: If more ram doesn't fix the problem almost instanlly reinstaling windows with up to date drivers and Bios.

Thirdly: Get a SSD (240gb my recommendation) and install on therethen let us know how its going. Your bottel necking on the hard drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $150 or a 480gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $300.

Worst comes to worst you use those in your next build. If you see a performance boost which you Will, you have SAVED $700, at that price its worth a Try.

I am shocked anyone on this site is using 4gb of ram and Windows 7 64bit and hasnt had problems with performance. You have preformance isssus with a i7-3960X, 4XGTX690 and SSD with only 4gb of ram Your hurting it and there the Most Best things out, there way out of most price ranges.

____
*windows 7 64 use in a basic VM 1.5gb of ram just to tick over smoothly, You add steam or origin on top, an anti virus, skype or team speak or something, close some brower windows, Change game, have email software running, have a USB drive hooked up and then there's your video drivers then your looking at 4gb easy You got to run a game it starts paging Paging is SLOW! very Slow on a normal hard drive.


Wrong Windows uses 2GB of RAM on its own.
SSD's don't do much for gaming load times or FPS.
No. You are complete wrong.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 2:45:06 PM

captainkall said:
Are you sure there is problem thats not to do with software? Try These thing You may just save a buket of cash:

Firstly: Buy some more ram Its slow because there isnt enough for Window 7 64bit by it self*: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $70

Secondly: If more ram doesn't fix the problem almost instanlly reinstaling windows with up to date drivers and Bios.

Thirdly: Get a SSD (240gb my recommendation) and install on therethen let us know how its going. Your bottel necking on the hard drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $150 or a 480gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $300.

Worst comes to worst you use those in your next build. If you see a performance boost which you Will, you have SAVED $700, at that price its worth a Try.

I am shocked anyone on this site is using 4gb of ram and Windows 7 64bit and hasnt had problems with performance. You have preformance isssus with a i7-3960X, 4XGTX690 and SSD with only 4gb of ram Your hurting it and there the Most Best things out, there way out of most price ranges.

____
*windows 7 64 use in a basic VM 1.5gb of ram just to tick over smoothly, You add steam or origin on top, an anti virus, skype or team speak or something, close some brower windows, Change game, have email software running, have a USB drive hooked up and then there's your video drivers then your looking at 4gb easy You got to run a game it starts paging Paging is SLOW! very Slow on a normal hard drive.


Wrong Windows uses 2GB of RAM on its own.
SSD's don't do much for gaming load times or FPS.
No. You are complete wrong.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 3:57:28 PM

samuelspark said:
Wrong Windows uses 2GB of RAM on its own.
SSD's don't do much for gaming load times or FPS.
No. You are complete wrong.


@samuelspark:
I am Trained in this area and work in it, I can run a VM of window 7 on 512mb (its laggy as all get out but it runs fine for ping tests and place holding) On top of which Netbooks with 1gb of ram and window 7 have just really been cleared from the market late last year early this year.

We would have to agree that more ram and a faster hard drive would probably be some thing to try before replacing the whole thing. Wrost comes to worst he use the those in his Intel build Later no loss there but a bit of time. If he saves $700 thats great.

@droylock2
Now as sam said, SSD wont fix the FPS, It will fix Load times, part of general performance. But my first bit of advise was what? More ram. Why More RAM? Stop it paging.

What Paging? Paging is using a Page File a Page File is what windows uses when it runs out of ram. Running out of memory is why a lot of systems run slow down a lot FPS goes down the drain... I would say Your RAM is bottle necking your system.

Think of a computer like a long distance runner, the RAM like its lungs and your CPU like the runner's heart a Strong without strong lungs isn't going to help in the long run you need a good balance, This system is weakest in RAM.

Remove the bottle neck of not enough ram, add SSD, update the bios and fresh install with the latest drivers and may add nice CPU cooler you will swear its like a new PC.

But if thats still not enough You still have enough money to try a i5 3450 and GTX660/650 with a H77/B75/h61 board with which you have a SSD, HDD, 16gb of ram, your case, PSU, a nice CPU Cooler and os already.

I don't see the point of spending $1000 when about $250 can do the job and if it fails you can still use those parts. This the one case were Kieran's Rule doesn't apply that rule being: "Buy Cheap Buy twice." Because if your not happy you pay the rest of the $1000 and we'll help spec you out.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 4:52:17 PM

captainkall said:
@samuelspark:
I am Trained in this area and work in it, I can run a VM of window 7 on 512mb (its laggy as all get out but it runs fine for ping tests and place holding) On top of which Netbooks with 1gb of ram and window 7 have just really been cleared from the market late last year early this year.

We would have to agree that more ram and a faster hard drive would probably be some thing to try before replacing the whole thing. Wrost comes to worst he use the those in his Intel build Later no loss there but a bit of time. If he saves $700 thats great.

@droylock2
Now as sam said, SSD wont fix the FPS, It will fix Load times, part of general performance. But my first bit of advise was what? More ram. Why More RAM? Stop it paging.

What Paging? Paging is using a Page File a Page File is what windows uses when it runs out of ram. Running out of memory is why a lot of systems run slow down a lot FPS goes down the drain... I would say Your RAM is bottle necking your system.

Think of a computer like a long distance runner, the RAM like its lungs and your CPU like the runner's heart a Strong without strong lungs isn't going to help in the long run you need a good balance, This system is weakest in RAM.

Remove the bottle neck of not enough ram, add SSD, update the bios and fresh install with the latest drivers and may add nice CPU cooler you will swear its like a new PC.

But if thats still not enough You still have enough money to try a i5 3450 and GTX660/650 with a H77/B75/h61 board with which you have a SSD, HDD, 16gb of ram, your case, PSU, a nice CPU Cooler and os already.

I don't see the point of spending $1000 when about $250 can do the job and if it fails you can still use those parts. This the one case were Kieran's Rule doesn't apply that rule being: "Buy Cheap Buy twice." Because if your not happy you pay the rest of the $1000 and we'll help spec you out.


I used Windows 7 with 4GB RAM for a while. Didn't have any problems. Currently running 8GB with no page file.
Also, his computer is for gaming and more RAM and a new HDD/SSD will not do anything for gaming. Totally irrelevant.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 4:52:49 PM

captainkall said:
@samuelspark:
I am Trained in this area and work in it, I can run a VM of window 7 on 512mb (its laggy as all get out but it runs fine for ping tests and place holding) On top of which Netbooks with 1gb of ram and window 7 have just really been cleared from the market late last year early this year.

We would have to agree that more ram and a faster hard drive would probably be some thing to try before replacing the whole thing. Wrost comes to worst he use the those in his Intel build Later no loss there but a bit of time. If he saves $700 thats great.

@droylock2
Now as sam said, SSD wont fix the FPS, It will fix Load times, part of general performance. But my first bit of advise was what? More ram. Why More RAM? Stop it paging.

What Paging? Paging is using a Page File a Page File is what windows uses when it runs out of ram. Running out of memory is why a lot of systems run slow down a lot FPS goes down the drain... I would say Your RAM is bottle necking your system.

Think of a computer like a long distance runner, the RAM like its lungs and your CPU like the runner's heart a Strong without strong lungs isn't going to help in the long run you need a good balance, This system is weakest in RAM.

Remove the bottle neck of not enough ram, add SSD, update the bios and fresh install with the latest drivers and may add nice CPU cooler you will swear its like a new PC.

But if thats still not enough You still have enough money to try a i5 3450 and GTX660/650 with a H77/B75/h61 board with which you have a SSD, HDD, 16gb of ram, your case, PSU, a nice CPU Cooler and os already.

I don't see the point of spending $1000 when about $250 can do the job and if it fails you can still use those parts. This the one case were Kieran's Rule doesn't apply that rule being: "Buy Cheap Buy twice." Because if your not happy you pay the rest of the $1000 and we'll help spec you out.


I used Windows 7 with 4GB RAM for a while. Didn't have any problems. Currently running 8GB with no page file.
Also, his computer is for gaming and more RAM and a new HDD/SSD will not do anything for gaming. Totally irrelevant.
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 2:27:21 AM

@droylock2
1. Is your hard drive full dude?

2. Are you getting messages about Virtual memory?

Sam and I can't seem to agree on this but I hope your getting my message, the short long and short being: try the advice I gave and at worst you waste about a day. (After postage time) And if you find there is no improvements... Sam can help you find the other parts and I will tell you were he is wrong.

I mean as it stands I am the only one who has advice you some parts, obsama1 agrees with my more ram suggestion or I agree with him only going a step further 16gb is better than 8gb. SSDrives are sweet you start using it and you wonder how you used the HDD all this time.

Its your thread, your money and your call. I have built heaps of PC yours isn’t due for a complete over haul yet in my books but if you really want to then you can say "No only New will do." we can respect that and help. I use a PhII x6 1075t OC'd to 3.3 it used to do 3.4 but its older now its getting replace when Piledriver comes out.


@sam
First Stop Double posting or go away once is mistake twice is our time. Second you don't understand bottle necks unlike you Just because you built your computer doesn’t mean your an expert.

You still haven't give a reason not to try my Idea. WHAT THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN?? Well the Whole Universe Vaporising slowly and painfully killing all life... but the worst case real word scenario is that He has to wait a week and tries this to see if I am right.

Again for your Benefit: The SSD is to Improve General performance and load times.
If you think an SSD has nothing to do with General performance then your Sillier than your double post would imply. So a faster world load and boot and shut down means nothing to you personally that’s fine but it matters to most of us. Its irrelevant to you well you can enjoy your wait. IF Your spending a $1000 you would want an SSD as your boot drive with your games on it, and your other stuff on the 500gb mech you bring over from the old build as a storage drive. Heck this guy has a 500 gb drive and it may but full as which can cause massive problems.

The RAM is to Deal with all the things running at once, More RAM is worth a try the CPU is not the problem and neither are the Graphics the problem is probably Software based. It can run BF3 smoothly on Ultra res if the right resources are given to it. Even if what you say about 2 GB were right IF which I just established they’re not then my idea seems even better. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-well-does-windows-7-... more facts you can run it with 512mb Smarty pants I could look for more but it was workable in beta and I know how buggy MS OS is in Beta.

8gb is small Your either very brave or very fool hardy to run it without a small Page File. Regards less of wether you even know Where to control a page file WHAT YOU DID WAS ADD MORE RAM!!! Why would your do that if 4 GB isn’t a bottle neck???

It was because you were running out of Virtual memory or using too much and that’s to slowing everything down right? Well have I got news for you buster virtual memory is the PAGE FILE! Case and point your Not helping here you just want to waste Droy's money without thinking.
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 4:14:05 AM

My hard drive is about half full and there is absolutely no issues with virtual memory. I just had two dims burn out but the last two dims read the 4gb just fine. The motherboard needs to be replaced so i might as well upgrade to something new and future proof. I have been looking into the Ivy Bridge processors and the i5 3570k looks very appealing. I figured my pc is bottle necking cause of the slow processor performance especially with a six core. All i do is gaming so im wasting the other cores I really dont need. An i5 would school a Bulldozer or a six core in gaming. Like i said before, my budget is roughly $1000 for my upgrade parts. Preferably a graphics card, processor, motherboard, more ram, and a cpu cooler. I just ordered the new Cm Storm Scout 2 case and should be here this week.
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 5:47:27 PM

captainkall said:
@droylock2
1. Is your hard drive full dude?

2. Are you getting messages about Virtual memory?

Sam and I can't seem to agree on this but I hope your getting my message, the short long and short being: try the advice I gave and at worst you waste about a day. (After postage time) And if you find there is no improvements... Sam can help you find the other parts and I will tell you were he is wrong.

I mean as it stands I am the only one who has advice you some parts, obsama1 agrees with my more ram suggestion or I agree with him only going a step further 16gb is better than 8gb. SSDrives are sweet you start using it and you wonder how you used the HDD all this time.

Its your thread, your money and your call. I have built heaps of PC yours isn’t due for a complete over haul yet in my books but if you really want to then you can say "No only New will do." we can respect that and help. I use a PhII x6 1075t OC'd to 3.3 it used to do 3.4 but its older now its getting replace when Piledriver comes out.


@sam
First Stop Double posting or go away once is mistake twice is our time. Second you don't understand bottle necks unlike you Just because you built your computer doesn’t mean your an expert.

You still haven't give a reason not to try my Idea. WHAT THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN?? Well the Whole Universe Vaporising slowly and painfully killing all life... but the worst case real word scenario is that He has to wait a week and tries this to see if I am right.

Again for your Benefit: The SSD is to Improve General performance and load times.
If you think an SSD has nothing to do with General performance then your Sillier than your double post would imply. So a faster world load and boot and shut down means nothing to you personally that’s fine but it matters to most of us. Its irrelevant to you well you can enjoy your wait. IF Your spending a $1000 you would want an SSD as your boot drive with your games on it, and your other stuff on the 500gb mech you bring over from the old build as a storage drive. Heck this guy has a 500 gb drive and it may but full as which can cause massive problems.

The RAM is to Deal with all the things running at once, More RAM is worth a try the CPU is not the problem and neither are the Graphics the problem is probably Software based. It can run BF3 smoothly on Ultra res if the right resources are given to it. Even if what you say about 2 GB were right IF which I just established they’re not then my idea seems even better. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-well-does-windows-7-... more facts you can run it with 512mb Smarty pants I could look for more but it was workable in beta and I know how buggy MS OS is in Beta.

8gb is small Your either very brave or very fool hardy to run it without a small Page File. Regards less of wether you even know Where to control a page file WHAT YOU DID WAS ADD MORE RAM!!! Why would your do that if 4 GB isn’t a bottle neck???

It was because you were running out of Virtual memory or using too much and that’s to slowing everything down right? Well have I got news for you buster virtual memory is the PAGE FILE! Case and point your Not helping here you just want to waste Droy's money without thinking.


It seems like you have an issue with grammar. I have never had issues with running out RAM. It also seems you're quite a bit immature and don't have a real idea in what you're talking about.
m
0
l
September 29, 2012 7:37:16 AM

Here you go boss. $119.99 more but thats because you get the 670 which is better than the 660ti. You can have both the old 500gb as storage and you have and the listed ssd for your boot and games folders. Loads and boot time will be much lower, you can drop it but you will be disapointed that you didnt have one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... GTX 670 from EVGA 379.99 -$20 in mail rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... i5 3570k $229.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Gigabyte G1 M3 $169.99 -$20 in mail rebate (SLI Ready and on of the best M-atx board out there max ram 32gb.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... g.skill 2x8gb ram. $74.99 -$15 promo code. $59.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM $139.99 (this lets you go to 32 gb of ram like real Hard core systems)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 240gb SSD $164.99

Pre inmail rebates: $1,159.94


@sam
Oh no a lack of punctuation I have no way of communicating with the world... You know what kid leave this to the grown ups people who have the money and the reading skill to Learn about things that cause every one problems, Boot times for example.

Start your reading,
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/solid-state-drive-w...

You obviously don't have anything to do With SSD's cause your 15 and have no cash. That's Fine we have all been there, but ONCE You start using them you will think your a total fool for this wine fest. They Cut load and boot time that's all I have ever said. I never said "an SSD drive will Fix all you problems " did I?

Who would you trust a 15 year old school kid of a IT support man who is Window certified?

4 GB is laugh able its only $60-$70 for 16gb(2x8gb) there is no good reason to have less in a desktop. Stop before you seem dumber than you all ready do.


m
0
l
!