Sign in with
Your question

Please help, newbie new custom PC build

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2012 3:37:30 AM

- budget $1200 taxes in
- Canadian dollars only, no USA sites
- mainly gaming, Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2, and whatever else down the road
- Don't plan on overclocking or going dual video (just want good build that will run everything at high detail)
- Don't need all bells and whistles (would like dual video capability down the road, if i ever decide too)
- new to the all terms/specs etc. i basically googled top 10 of each and came up with what i though is fair asking price for quality.

A vs B

1/ CPU: i5-3570K ($219.99) vs ? (recommendations)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/ MOBO: P8Z77-V-LK ($ 124.99) vs P8Z77-V-PRO ($199.99) vs ?

choose the v-lk because it was cheaper and i don't need the wifi-go. and it supports sli/crossfire. any reason not to go with v-lk or recommendation for another board?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/ video: asus HD 7870 ($219.99) vs ? (recommendations)

do i need a better video card?
4/ ram: corsair vegeance C9 ($37.99) vs C8 ($49.79)
5/ Fan: corsair HX750 ($125.87) vs ? (recommendations)
6/ SSD: crucial M4 128gb ($99.79) vs ? (recommendations)
7/ HEATSINK: CM HYPER 212 PLUS ($23.48) vs ? vs Do i need one?
cpu fan/ethernet/sound card: STOCK vs ? (recommendations)

*** so far i went with all of column A, comes in around $1200 with taxes and labour and win 7 home prem. 64 and install, and 1 year warranty parts/labour

More about : newbie custom build

September 26, 2012 5:07:25 AM

Build A is very capable.
1.You want the i5 3450 if you won't overclock.
2.The V-LK is all you need,or the plain V.
3. Best card for your budget,option would be msi, if you have more money,you can get a gtx670.
4. lower timings wont help, more GB's will.
5.I take it that's the psu? good choice.
6.You want to pair your ssd with mechanical storage. A 1TB would be plenty.
7. No,you don't need it
Stock sound and Ethernet. Works well.
m
l
September 26, 2012 5:14:50 AM

the 750W is probably overkill. a Seasonic 620W will be enough juice to crossfire 7870s, and runs somewhere between $80 and $90. the 128GB SSD is fine, but you need a mechanical drive for large storage
m
l
Related resources
September 26, 2012 11:04:57 AM

i will recommend new parts once ncix opens up their sale at 11pm tonight
m
l
!