How to transfer windows to new Hard drive

I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a Recovery CD
for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed, Now i wish to
install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a recover CD.
How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without encountering the problem
of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.

D.P.S.

Not an issue. XP was supplied with your PC and even if you reinstall, it should activate (if its even necessary, since some OEM versions are "BIOS locked") with no problems. Worst case scenario, you have to call and tell them you swapped a hard disk and reinstalled. They'll issue a new activation code.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

D.P.Singh wrote:

> I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a
> Recovery CD for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive crashed,
> Now i wish to install Windows on a new Hard Drive, but the CD is a
> recover CD. How do i install Windows to new Hard Drive without
> encountering the
> problem of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.

Answered in another newsgroup. Please do not send the same message
separately to more than one newsgroup (called multiposting). Doing so just
fragments the thread, so someone who answers in one newsgroup doesn't get to
see answers from others in another newsgroup. And for those who read all the
newsgroups the message is multiposted to, they see the message multiple
times instead of once (they would see it only once if you crossposted
instead).

If you must send the same message to more than one newsgroup, please do so
by crossposting (but only to a *few* related newsgroups).

Please reply to the newsgroup

Hey Ken

Not everybody reads every newsgroup and most posted questions have wider
applicability than just the OP. Since it was multi-posted and not
cross-posted, there's no way for the rest of us to know what newsgroup
you've provided your pearls of wisdom to unless you provide that as part of
your scolding of the OP for his misdeeds.

Norm

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:55:31 GMT, Norm Dresner wrote:

> Not everybody reads every newsgroup and most posted questions have wider
> applicability than just the OP. Since it was multi-posted and not
> cross-posted, there's no way for the rest of us to know what newsgroup
> you've provided your pearls of wisdom to unless you provide that as part of
> your scolding of the OP for his misdeeds.

Sorry, Norm. I agree with Ken on this one. I understand what you're saying
but why should folks who answer have to repeat themselves? Personally, I
feel the same disappointment as you in these situations but I get miffed
with the original poster for not crossposting correctly (or, even though
I've seen it recommended to do so, for setting followup to a group that I
don't read).

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

In
Norm Dresner <ndrez@att.net> typed:

> Hey Ken
>
> Not everybody reads every newsgroup and most posted questions
> have
> wider applicability than just the OP. Since it was
> multi-posted and
> not cross-posted, there's no way for the rest of us to know
> what
> newsgroup you've provided your pearls of wisdom to unless you
> provide
> that as part of your scolding of the OP for his misdeeds.

You may see it as "scolding of the OP for his misdeeds," but I
didn't mean it that way at all. My intent was to give him helpful
advice for future posting.

However, your point that "most posted questions have wider
applicability than just the OP" is a good one, and I'll try to
remember to include that info in the future. Sorry, but in this
case I no longer remember, but if you're interested in pursuing
this, a googlegroups search will find the info you're looking
for.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> D.P.Singh wrote:
>>
>>> I was using Windows XP Prof on my PC, and was supplied with a
>>> Recovery CD for Windows along with my PC, and the Hard Drive
>>> crashed, Now i wish to install Windows on a new Hard Drive,
>>> but the
>>> CD is a recover CD. How do i install Windows to new Hard
>>> Drive
>>> without encountering the
>>> problem of CD Key already being registered.... Please help.
>>

>> Answered in another newsgroup. Please do not send the same
>> message
>> separately to more than one newsgroup (called multiposting).
>> Doing
>> so just fragments the thread, so someone who answers in one
>> newsgroup doesn't get to see answers from others in another
>> newsgroup. And for those who read all the newsgroups the
>> message is
>> multiposted to, they see the message multiple times instead of
>> once
>> (they would see it only once if you crossposted instead).
>>
>> If you must send the same message to more than one newsgroup,
>> please
>> do so by crossposting (but only to a *few* related
>> newsgroups).
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

In similar situation to this I do not know what group I answered in.

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:37:03 +1000, David Candy wrote:

> In similar situation to this I do not know what group I answered in.

That too! ;)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User