Sign in with
Your question

Help with mini-ITX

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2012 4:28:44 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 weeks

Budget Range: Under $1,00

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming 75%, streaming HD movies 15%, web browsing 10%

Parts to Upgrade: case and motherboard only (unless there is a reason to upgrade my other parts). I will be reusing my i5-2500k, 90gb ssd, 1tb spinpoint, nvidia branded 560 ti, and cd/dvd drive.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, amazon

Overclocking: Maybe but most likely no

SLI or Crossfire: No (mini-ITX)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 x2

Additional Comments: I would this computer to run cool and as quiet. I play D3, GW2, counter strike.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Wanting something new and a smaller form factor desktop. I currently have a NZXT Phantom case.

This is pretty much the build I am thinking of building http://pcpartpicker.com/p/izv9 (again I already have the processor, gpu, ram, sdd+HDD, cd/dvd drive)

Does anyone have a different recommendation for the motherboard? And would it be worth upgrading to a gtx 660ti and a i5-3570k for heat and performance?

More about : mini itx

September 26, 2012 5:16:06 AM

Your current chasis supports ATX. Why do you want to go for m-atx ? You don't gain anything in terms of cost. You're using a dual monitor setup, which will need SLI/Crossfire in some time. Also, you current CPU is unlocked. Overclock it, beneficial for games.

Keep your chasis, get a Z77 motherboard (Gigabyte or Asrock).
No need to upgrade the CPU.
Get a Radeon HD7770 or 7850, better value for money, and lower at power consumption. Otherwise the 650ti is ok, but again, you might want SLI if you want to keep this card in future.
m
l
September 26, 2012 1:42:41 PM

I'm looking for a mini-itx build because of the size of my current case. I'm currently building a custom desk and the Phantom chasis won't work with what I've had in mind.

I know the Phantom would be a better over all case for a gaming computer because of the size, airflow etc.

Would the 7770 or 7870 still be worth it to buy over my 560ti? I know they do run cooler which would be helpful in a smaller case I would assume.
m
l
September 27, 2012 2:35:21 AM

Of course it would help.
But also take a look at your needs. If you're current card is good enough, then why change? Graphics cards are always being updated, you can always get a better one down the road.
If there is a need to upgrade, then yeah, you can go for the 78xx series, they're power efficient, and good value for money.

My only concern is this. If you're using 2x 1080p monitors, even a 7870 will struggle at full settings.
m
l
!