Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Phenom IIx4 955BE and Asus M4A79T won't POST.

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2012 5:27:25 AM

I lost display while playing TorchLight 2. I’ve had no problems with the system previously. I turned off the system and when I turned it back on the system didn’t seem to POST. I seem to have power, all the fans run and I have a power and reset button on my MB that lights up. I still have no display and I’m not getting the single beep when I power on the sytem. I do have a system speaker hooked up to the motherboard. I currently have my system breadboarded with only PSU, CPU, and MB. Still nothing, the PSU and HSF runs but I’m not getting the POST beep or any diag codes. I’m kind of thinking MB but I’m not sure how to determine whether it’s the MB or the CPU. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Specs :
AMD Phenom IIx4 955 BE
XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm Rifle CPU Cooler I5 775 AMD compatible
G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
ATI Radeon HD 5750
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply

What I’ve tried..
1. Swapping out video card with and HD 4870 I had lying around.
2. Resetting BIOS.
3. Pulling out all of the memory and booting.
4. Booting with 1 stick of memory in each slot 1 at a time.
5. Unhooked everything and breadboarded system.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 30, 2012 3:30:13 AM

It may be the PSU. Do you have a PSU tester?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

If not and you have a VOM meter, short the grn and blk wires in the 24 pin connector to start the PSU. Read the voltages to ground.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Also, try replacing the CMOS battery in case it died.
October 9, 2012 11:56:02 PM

Best answer selected by lbuch79.
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2012 11:57:59 PM

Sure enough it was the PSU. I'd just never encountered a bad PSU that was still providing power to the board. Inadequate power I guess. Live and learn! Thanks!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2012 12:33:14 AM

Glad to hear it is a solvable problem. The PSU provides several different voltages to several different circuits. All it takes is one of those circuits to fail or to low volt for the system to halt. The OCZ PSU is a good brand. But like all man made devices, can fail.
m
l
!