How do i configure LAN

adkadam

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hello,
I am Computer Lab-Assistant and I need Guidence for "how do i configure LAN".I recently join this job.it's new for me.I need to setup LAN with atleast 30-35 PC.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
oh... my... god... you took a job to configure 35 comps with out any idea how to do it?

we need to know what operating systems you have on this network, what routers, switches, gateways, and a basic idea of network topology before we can help you here. are there file servers, are you handling dns, how many printers, are these machines in one building or multiple, are the cat5/6 cables currently run, do you have the network equipment already in place or do you need to order it, will there be a need for upgradeablity or rather how fast do you expect the # of computers and users to grow? also does anyone need off site access to any servers or files, will you be needing active directory? if you need to buy equipment what is your budget? will this setup have a single Internet line or multiple? do you need a guaranteed net connection or will some down time be acceptable?