Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler stuck on 1000rpm. CPU overheating.

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Fan
Last response: in CPUs
February 9, 2013 8:33:24 AM

Hello,
I have an FX-4170 cpu with a stock cooler.
Until recently temps have been fine.
The fan would adjust RPM according to cpu temps.
Now the fan is stuck at 800 rpm sometimes 1000.
This causes my PC to shutdown after 10 mins of playing games. The issue is no matter what settings I change in the BIOS such as Cool N Quiet, Smart Fan monitoring etc it just stays at 800. When under load the fan should speed up but doesn't. I applied new paste, which hasn't helped. Using OCCT to do a stress test it fail safed after hitting 85c meaning if it hadn't have stopped it would have hit 90 or more. Is this a faulty fan? I've tried using other applications to boost the fan but to no avail. The fan used to be capable of running at 2000rpm on under half load.

More about : cpu cooler stuck 1000rpm cpu overheating

February 9, 2013 8:55:28 AM

KylejaybeeUK said:
Hello,
I have an FX-4170 cpu with a stock cooler.
Until recently temps have been fine.
The fan would adjust RPM according to cpu temps.
Now the fan is stuck at 800 rpm sometimes 1000.
This causes my PC to shutdown after 10 mins of playing games. The issue is no matter what settings I change in the BIOS such as Cool N Quiet, Smart Fan monitoring etc it just stays at 800. When under load the fan should speed up but doesn't. I applied new paste, which hasn't helped. Using OCCT to do a stress test it fail safed after hitting 85c meaning if it hadn't have stopped it would have hit 90 or more. Is this a faulty fan? I've tried using other applications to boost the fan but to no avail. The fan used to be capable of running at 2000rpm on under half load.

My H/W reports my system temp at 25c (I have 4 120mm fans in the case not counting the power supply and GPU) yet my CPU idle temp is 50c. This was about 30 on idle before. I can't play games because the temp rises and the fan does nothing. I applied some MX Arctic Cooling paste in a pea sized portion. The cooler is plugged into the 4pin cpu fan header on the mobo. Is my fan on its last legs or is it another issue?
February 9, 2013 9:01:36 AM

Considering the fact that you are gaming on an AMD FX, I think that even if the fan can be replaced cheaply, you would be much better off just getting a new CPU cooler.

For a well priced CPU cooler that will be a massive improvement on the stock cooler, try this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/176157-arctic-cooling-freezer-7-p...

For a cooler that will keep your CPU both very cool and extremely quiet, try this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS...

Either of those would be perfect, but the fan issue may be down to a faulty PWM controller, or the mobo header could be faulty. I have a Phenom 970 (Notoriously Hot with a 70C Cut-Off Temp) and I have been able to OC it to 4GHZ on the Arctic Freezer Pro Rev.2 (First Link)

Hope this helps!
Related resources
February 9, 2013 9:26:33 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. The thing is before my games barely used 30% of the CPU. Yet it causes my PC to insta shutdown after 10-15. After looking at the BIOS temps it said 75c. I have just bought a 212 Coolermaster Evo cooler as I've heard some good reviews about it. When playing games like Sleeping Dogs before you could definitely hear that cooler kick in as it was loud. Now it barely plays an old game like Dead Space without near enough melting. If it is the FWM would you suggest connecting it directly to my Coolermaster 750W 80+ PSU?
February 9, 2013 2:23:19 PM

If you have a molex - 3pin connector then yes, however this will mean that your fan will be running at full power all of the time. Some of these connectors have second legs, meaning that you can plug one end into the PSU, then one leg into the motherboard for speed monitoring, and the other into the fan for more power.
!