Can anybody help me with this? Pretty nervous lol.

rillo

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
So, my computer is connected to a 500VA UPS. It's a 'Back-Up UPS ES 500'. I have an 850W PSU, and I am wondering if a 500VA UPS is enough to run it? My computer has been connected to this UPS for 3 days now with no problems whatsoever. But do you guys think that this UPS can handle my computer any further? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Can I leave my computer connected to the UPS 24/7?

If your computer is drawing too much power from the UPS, the UPS will either alarm and shut down or simply shut down. You should have automatic shutdown software that came with the UPS, it should give you an idea of your runtime on battery power. I was using a 340W 600va successfully for quite a while even though that machine had a 750W PSU. Running it 24/7 shouldn't be an issue
Hope it helps

The power(wattage) of the psu has no bearing on this discussion - the amount of power the computer uses + the wasted power the psu uses in normal operation(efficiency) will determine how well a UPS will operated any computer.
-Bruce
p.s. give us more computer info

rillo

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

So basically.. either it works or it doesn't?

rillo

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB

8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 675MHz

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-M PRO (LGA1155)

I also play a lot of video games, and most of them are really demanding when it comes to specs. Will this UPS work for me?

That has been my experience with UPS's. I've used a few from various manufacturers and all have alarmed when/if overdrawn. Note that I don't do that often but there has been a time or two I figured to see if my monitor and printer and other periferals could be powered by the UPS also.