Video driver crash - GTX570

RubberSideUp

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Looking for help with an issue that has caused me hours of grief, and left me just about ready to go back to my 775 rig. Apologies in advance for the long read.

Around December time i replaced all my hardware. I decided to go for an i7 2600k, 16gb of Corsair Vengeance 1600, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, Point of View GTX570 2.5gb and Corsair HX750.

Everything was great for around 4 months, until i started getting crashes. While in game, the screen would go black for a few seconds, then i'd be put back on the desktop while the game would run in the background, i'm unable to restore the game.

Occasionally i get the error message that the video driver stopped responding and was restarted.

I thought the issue was with my GPU, so i swapped it out for my old ATi 4870, wiped the nvidia drivers and installed the latest ATi package. The problem got worse. Instead of occasionally crashing, it would crash almost immediately. I figured it could be a power supply issue, so i put back the PSU from my old PC. The problem remained, so i put back the GTX570.

I've cycled through pairs and individual sticks of ram, all with no improvement on the situation. Eventually i figured the problem was either down to the CPU or motherboard. Taking the advice of the retailer i purchased the motherboard from, i purchased a cheap board to keep me going while i sent the original back for RMA. An MSI Z68A-G43. Alarmingly, the problem remains.

What are the chances of a duff CPU? Are there any other potential causes? I've swapped out every component but the CPU now, and i'm still no closer to a solution.

If anyone can give any suggestions on this it would be greatly appreciated.