Sign in with
Your question

Poweredge 1800 help for a complete noob

Last response: in Components
February 9, 2013 12:11:19 PM

Hi everyone, recently received a Dell Poweredge 1800 as payment for a job i did for someone.

At home i use my laptop as a media server for another laptop in the house and my playstation so this SEEMED like a great opportunity to get a dedicated server set up so i can go back to using my laptop as my laptop. However its a little bit beyond me.

I have quite a few components knocking about from fixing my own desktops (over the past few years so some of the componants are a little antiquated to say the least.

If i post up some images of what goodies i've got to play with could someone point me in the right direction please? Once the servers running i should be able to get the network up and running my self its just the hardware and setting up that im way out of my depth on.....i think :) 

Thanks for your help in advance and i await your replies

Max
February 9, 2013 8:14:28 PM

The configuration of the network will all depend on what OS you install. Assuming you use Windows Server, it will be very similar if not identical to the configuration you are normally used to in Windows. All the drivers for a PowerEdge 1800 should be included with the Windows Server CD at least to get you where it will boot. I would then recommend updating all of the firmware and drivers from Dell's site.
!