Your question

Freeze with GTX570

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2012 1:17:38 PM

Hi !

I'm having some issues with my computer. While playing I got some random freeze, sometimes after a couple of minutes and some other after a few hours. It happens with any game I've played so far : diablo 3, Batman AA, Orc Must Die 1 & 2, Saints Row the Third, ... And when it happens the only thing I can do is a hard reboot.

I have already done some memtest and benchmark with MarkFur and 3DMark and everything is OK. And I had also test the temp with GPU-Z and CPU-Z while playing and they are all ok.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz
MotherBoard Asus P8Z68-V LX
Corsair 8Gb ddr3 1600 MHz
Gigabyte GV-N570OC-13I GTX750
Cooler Master GX Power 650 Watts

I appologies for my bad english.

More about : freeze gtx570

a c 103 U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 2:37:39 PM

Someone was saying on another thread that the cooler master 650 watt psu doesn't deliver anything near its 650watts or rated power...this would be the first thing to look at....do you have another psu? you could try hooking your gpu up to the second psu and run the rest of the system off of the psu you have in there now....if the freezes stop then you know its bc the psu you have is not delivering enough power for ur 570
m
l
August 7, 2012 8:38:20 AM

I heard about the psu problem on some other forum. I don't know if I still have the psu of my old computer; I'll check that when back home after work. Thanks for the help.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 8, 2012 11:16:56 AM

I actually have an other psu but it's only 400watts. Dunno if it is enough to do what u say.
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
August 8, 2012 3:06:20 PM

yes it is...what you need to do is unhook the power cables from the video card and plug in the power that it needs from the 400 watt unit you have....if you need to use adapters then like molex to 6 pin pcie then do it. it will be fine.....then you plug the second psu into the wall and jam a paper clip into the green pin on the 24 pin mobo connector and the other end into a black pin on the same connector....this will allow the psu to power up with out being in the system...once you do that power on your other system and see if the issue goes away....if it does then your current psu is not supplying enough power for your gpu
m
l
August 9, 2012 8:47:29 AM

The problem is that I don't have the adapters needed to plug the video card but I can borrow some from a friend tomorrow.
However I tried to downclock my gpu as suggested on other forums and i managed to played 10 hours straigth without freezing. I downclocked the gru from 780 to 650 (I tried higher frequences but still freezing)
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 3:08:14 PM

thats very possible that your psu cannot handle the power load at the higher frequencies...but its also possible that your card is over heating...can you tell me what your temps are in game at both the 780mhz and the 650mhz?
m
l
August 9, 2012 5:08:06 PM

http://i.imgur.com/XIPT5.png

on the left part the gpu is downclocked and on the right part it is the original settings.

Today I got a strange micro freeze (less than one second) while trying the downclock, you can see it on the gpu usage graphics from the left part.
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 7:29:07 PM

temps are fine...I think its that your psu cannont handle the extra clock speed...I would try borrowing the adapters from your friend and trying the card with the psu separate and see if that helps...your temps are great in both situations
m
l
August 9, 2012 7:40:50 PM

Yeah that's why i tough, i'll test with the other PSU this week-end ^^
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
August 9, 2012 7:59:00 PM

ok cool report back and let me know how it goes
m
l
August 10, 2012 12:38:28 PM

I just tried to plug the second psu : computer is starting normally, but when I tried to launch a game I got a black screen and the computer reboot. Might be my other psu which isn't powerfull ... it's a old one with no brand.

I tought about plugging only one pci with the second psu and the other with the first psu but I dunno if I can do that.
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 3:51:23 PM

did you short out the power pins on the second psu? so that one is on and running? then you turn on your pc? to short out the power pins on the second psu you need to take a paper clip and shove it in the green pin and a black pin on the 24pin mobo cable
m
l
August 10, 2012 5:14:21 PM

Yeah I did that and I tested it on a fan before pluging it on the gpu ^^. Then I plugged the GPU which was perfectly running (I checked the fans of the GPU) but when I try to launch anything that require the GPU, I lost the signal on my screen and the pc reboot. And when I check the log on Windows it told me that the error was a BSoD.

But my old PSU is only 400watts and have been used for 4 years almost every days.
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
August 10, 2012 7:30:36 PM

hmm 400watts should be enough for the gpu though....a 570 shouldnt take more than 250watts at full load....maybe if you could get your hands on another psu just to test it? maybe borrow someones or something?
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:28:33 PM

I borrowed a Corsair TX750 from a friend and the problem is still here ...
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
August 15, 2012 3:42:30 PM

did you try powering the entire system with that psu? not just the video card
m
l
August 15, 2012 3:54:34 PM

Yeah this psu is powering the entire system
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
August 16, 2012 3:47:14 AM

So that rules out the psu....I cant remember or not if I told you to try to update your drivers? You should try that if you havent already bc drivers will cause this issue I have had it multiple times in my rig bc of drivers
m
l
!