Sign in with
Your question

Problem Radeon HD 7770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2012 1:30:53 PM

Hello,
I recently did upgrades to my computer adding a new Radeon HD 7770 and going to Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit.

Playing games or just browsing the curser is very jerky and hard to control. I get the same result inside MW3 and Crysis 2 when playing. Does anyone know of a solution?

More about : problem radeon 7770

August 6, 2012 3:05:03 PM

Did you connect the 6-pin power connector to the video card when you installed it?
Are the drivers properly installed (latest from AMD's site)?

Check your windows power management settings, and set them to max performance, check catalyst control center's power settings, and check the clock speeds on the GPU to make sure it's not being underclocked.
August 6, 2012 3:11:13 PM

My buddy has a Gigabyte 7770 OC edition. Very unstable. We thought it was the Power Supply. We tried a high end PS, and no difference.

After some investigation: Found out that he had the G2 Firmware, and the current version was G5 (3 revisions up). WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Games ran more stable and more smooth.

I had never update firmware for a video card before, but in this case, it was the solution. See if your brand of 7770 has firmware updates.
Related resources
August 6, 2012 5:09:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Changed Win7 power to high performance and have the latest AMD drivers. Also checked the card hookup and it is 6 pin connector attached. I am not finding a firmward upgrade for HD 7770 but I have opened a ticket with Sapphire. I'll keep you posted.
August 6, 2012 5:29:27 PM

What is your system's configuration? CPU? Motherboard? Memory type? Amount of Memory? Hard drive type/size? Power supply? Brand?
August 6, 2012 6:40:46 PM

I overlooked the OS upgrade originally, that seems like a much more likely source of problems, considering you have issues on the desktop. As jacobdrj asked, what are your other specs, is your system capable of running windows 7 smoothly?

It may be worth trying a clean install of windows (especially if you upgraded the OS without formatting), since it could be an issue with old drivers, DLLs, etc from the previous windows install.

What OS are you upgrading from, and did you format & reinstall, just reinstall, or simply upgrade the OS?
August 9, 2012 6:36:03 PM

Hi here are my system specs:
MB Model: D975XBX2 System Type: x64-based PC
Processor Intel Core2 CPU X6800 @ 2.93GHz, 2926 Mhz, 2 Core, 2 Logical Processor(s)
Memory: 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Power Supply: NZXT 400W
2 X 500 GB HD
August 9, 2012 6:37:57 PM

Hi, when I did the load I did a DOD 3 pass wipe and then a low level format of the whole HD. My system was Vista ready so I'm pretty confident I can run Win7 64bit.
!