I7 3770 gaming

hello!

I just want to ask if this computer (below) will be good (mostly gaming and a bit of internet)? I want it to be good for about 5-7 years (30 fps after that time).

ANNI GAMER LQ i7-3770 Win8 Ed.

Intel Core i7 3770 3,4GHz
Intel B75 motherboard
8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ram (2*4gb)
1 TB HDD SATA3
GeForce GTX 650 1GB
Windows 8

There wont be any overclocking. Maybe I will upgrade ram or graphics but i doubt.It will be huuuuuuuuuuuge upgrade for my pentium 4 with 384 mb ram...

Sorry for bad english; I'm from Slovenia :)
46 answers Last reply
More about 3770 gaming
  1. The i7 won't bring any fps gain, it's wise going with an i5(same performance in gaming) and with a much better card, depending on the games and at what resolution, the 650 gtx isn't suffice, it's a low end card.
  2. Get i5 3570k.i7 has more hyperthreating which have no impact on gaming.get i5 and get gpu like gtx 650ti or hd 7850.
  3. Hyper-Threading does have an impact on gaming. The i3s prove this. It's not important for the i7 right now because it already has four high-performance cores, but that Hyper-Threading doesn't help it due to games generally not needing eight threads has nothing to do with how Hyper-Threading affects games. That's to do with sheer number of threads being more than necessary, similar to the FX-8xxx CPUs' situation.

Yes, an i5 with a much better graphics card would be a much better solution. You might even be better off getting an i3 and a superb graphics card considering your budget.
  4. blazorthon said:
    Hyper-Threading does have an impact on gaming. The i3s prove this. It's not important for the i7 right now because it already has four high-performance cores, but that Hyper-Threading doesn't help it due to games generally not needing eight threads has nothing to do with how Hyper-Threading affects games. That's to do with sheer number of threads being more than necessary, similar to the FX-8xxx CPUs' situation.

Yes, an i5 with a much better graphics card would be a much better solution. You might even be better off getting an i3 and a superb graphics card considering your budget.

yes i know that i3+ hyper threating have impact on games like bf3,far cry etc.but i5 and i7 with hyper threating have no impact at all.
  5. ASHISH65 said:
    yes i know that i3+ hyper threating have impact on games like bf3,far cry etc.but i5 and i7 with hyper threating have no impact at all.

If we wanted to get really specific, I could point out how it does affect a few games in some situations such as BF3 MP in particularly CPU-intensive map/player combinations and some other intensive DX11 titles even on the quad core i7s.
  6. do not go i3 even with hyper threading. they are choking badly with high end gfx on games like bf3... they may out perform amd cpus but a dual core is a dual core no matter how many threads they run on games hyperthreading can cause issues when a game that runs 2 threads decides to use 1 core for both when using 1 core each would be the better more efficent choice as the threading doesnt have to be scheduled... this is the difference bettween a well optimized game and a not so well optimized game.

seriously dual cores are done as far as todays games go. both sony and microsoft are using amd quads and octa cores for there systems so hyperthreading will be of use to quad core gamers sooner but will make dual cores totaly irrelevant regardless of how many threads they run.

its better to build a balanced system that has good all round cpu to gpu performance that may have to run at lower settings but do so smoothly. rather than than having a gpu or cpu heavy system that will work very well in some games but will fps bounce or droop in others.
  7. LOL, games don't decide where the threads go. They have zero control over that. That's the job of Windows and such and Windows is already optimized for Hyper-Threading.

i3s do not "choke". There aren't any games that don't run well on them. Sure, i5s are better CPUs.

I miscalculated a little on budget and an i5 should fit fine, but an i3 most certainly wouldn't be bad at all.
  8. I'd say a cheap Core i5-3350P and then throw as much cash at the graphics card as possible.
  9. its not home made computer so it would be bad to buy i5 (cuz i would probably break something =) )and yes i might buy better graphics
    +all that multi-threading or Hyper-Threading might come handy couuple of years later???what do you guys say

i might sound dumb to ask that much questions but thats why forums are =)
  10. dirtyferret said:
    the CPU is plenty fast for gaming and anything else out there

the video card is solid for modern gaming but you may need an upgrade a few years down the road in order to still get good results.

what about hd 7770 graphics
  11. There's no pre built with the i5 and a better card ?
    The i7 has the ht, but it doesn't help in gaming, if the future games will use ht, it's just speculation, in the future, there will be better cpus, buy what you need as of now.
    The 7770 is slightly better than the 650 gtx.
    Something like the 7850 from amd, will be the best, price/performance.
  12. The 7770 is a lot better than the GTX 650. The GTX 650 Ti is better still.
  13. They usually are in most places, including europe.
  14. You can buy a 7850 1GB for 150-170 euros in most places.
  15. Definitely:

1) save money and get an i5-3570K

2) put that money towards a better graphics card (HD7850 2GB maybe, but your budget will dictate).

3) If you are buying a prebuilt PC, be aware that very few if any have a sufficient Power Supply to drop in a much better graphics card. The best deal would be an i5-3570K system when it's just using the CPU's internal GPU however the PSU you likely be a 300W one not a 500W with the proper 6-pin connections.
  16. A decent 450W such as the Antec VP-450 or better would also be plenty for a Radeon 7850.
  17. dirtyferret said:
    in most places but in my experience with helping people in eastern europe and some asian markets, there tends to be a brand tax or latest & greatest tax. So popular brands like corsair and antec may have a large price difference over lesser know brands like zlaman or NZXT and newer cards like the AMD 7850 may have a larger gap in price difference (then UK & north america) compared to previous year models. Its hard to say until you see what the market price is.

Slovenia isn't in Eastern Europe. Besides, brand tax is more likely on Nvidia products than AMD.
  18. So you're comparing it to cards that are more or less gone from the market?

The older hardware tends to cost more, not less, compared to performance. When you can even find it for sale. In my corner of Europe, the few 6850s available go for about 25% more than the 7770s. And since Slovenia is in the EU, I doubt it's going to be all that different there (and they could always order from Germany, Austria etc.).
  19. dirtyferret said:
    the CPU is plenty fast for gaming and anything else out there

the video card is solid for modern gaming but you may need an upgrade a few years down the road in order to still get good results.

Probably best answer. And about a year later i would buy better graphics (when my budget gets better).
  20. Thing is if the can get an i5(which is proven to be cheaper) in a prebuild and a better card it will be better, it can allow to have a better card with the price difference, probably a 7850, the 7770 is a decent card, but for some demanding games and depending on the resolution, it might not be a sufficient card, it's a low end card, specially if the resolution is 1080p, and with some games set at high settings, it will not be a good experience or for future games.
  21. I'm just saying that the 7770 is NOT that good for gaming, and that if he can find a prebuild with an i5 and a better card it will be better for him, there's no such thing as future proof, and when the i5 become obsolete, the i7 will also be, there's that thing of getting a expensive cpu and a low end card, it's an oxymoron in gaming.
  22. The 7770 is quite good at its price level, it's better value than any of the cheaper cards.

It's just that the 7850 is even better value, and, as we all agree, a Core i5 + 7850 combo is much better than a Core i7 + 7770 combo for gaming.
  23. Well some like the candy on the games and with decent frame rates, if you think a 7770 with high settings at 1080p in some games at less than 30 fps is a good experience, good luck with that.
    The 7770 is a good card, though, depending on the games and resolution, but like i said if the op wants to play some demanding games and at 1080p, the 7850 might be a good option.
    A 7850 will drastically improve the performance, in case you didn't notice i was talking about the 7850 which is not that expensive, i'm not saying to go with a high end card, without knowing the budget of the prebuilds, but if he can get an i5 and a 7850 in a build it will be better than an i7 + 7770.
    And no need for insulting, you did it twice, with sakkura and now...
  24. Yes, but he might not want to, the 560 ti is a better card, the 660 gtx is also popular, and the 660 ti and 7850 on steam, i'm just saying if the op wants to play the demanding games at 1080p at high settings the 7850 will be better, like i said an i7 won't bring fps gain, if he can find a cheaper prebuild with the i5 and a better card it will be better, it doesn't have to be a 7850, either a 650 ti, 7850 or 660 gtx are also good options.
    If he cannot, then the 7770 will be the best choice, if he's really limited.
    And you can debate without insulting.
  25. So as you guys say i looked for i5's and i found this

1. HP Envy H8-1400 3,1 GHz (C6W83EA)

Intel Core i5 3350 (3,1 GHz, 6 MB)
    Intel Z75 express
    AMD Radeon HD7770 2 GB GDDR5
    RAM 6 GB DDR3 (1600 MHz)
    HDD 1 TB, 7200 rpm
    OS Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit SLO/ANG

2. HP Elite 7500 3,2 GHz (B5G06EA)

Intel Core i5 3470 (3,2 GHz, 6 MB)
    Intel Z75 Express
    AMD Radeon HD 7570, 2 GB
    RAM 4 GB DDR3
    HDD 1 TB, 7200 rpm
    OS Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
  26. tadej petric said:
    i5-3570K
    So as you guys say i looked for i5's and i found this

1. HP Envy H8-1400 3,1 GHz (C6W83EA)

Intel Core i5 3350 (3,1 GHz, 6 MB)
    Intel Z75 express
    AMD Radeon HD7770 2 GB GDDR5
    RAM 6 GB DDR3 (1600 MHz)
    HDD 1 TB, 7200 rpm
    OS Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit SLO/ANG

2. HP Elite 7500 3,2 GHz (B5G06EA)

Intel Core i5 3470 (3,2 GHz, 6 MB)
    Intel Z75 Express
    AMD Radeon HD 7570, 2 GB
    RAM 4 GB DDR3
    HDD 1 TB, 7200 rpm
    OS Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit

The first one, of course. But I would say that If you want to play games after 5 years with at least 40FPS, you really need a better card than the HD 7770, and the CPU would be fine. Buy better card, or at least wait for the new generation of card from AMD and Nvidia.
  27. New generation probably won't be out until around 2014, so waiting might not be a good option right now.
  28. StefanMilosh1997 said:
    The first one, of course. But I would say that If you want to play games after 5 years with at least 40FPS, you really need a better card than the HD 7770, and the CPU would be fine. Buy better card, or at least wait for the new generation of card from AMD and Nvidia.

Thanks! Wich card do you recommend for now (but later there sure will be better cards than now)?
  29. I would start by reading this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

The prices are for the US market but will still give you an idea the different tiers of graphics cards and you can compare prices of them for your area.
  30. tadej petric said:
    Thanks! Wich card do you recommend for now (but later there sure will be better cards than now)?

OK, first tell the budget... by the way a good option is the HD 6870, which, although is from the previous generation and uses more power, is also better in games than the HD 7770... you want to consider maybe the HD 7850 which costs more...
  31. The 7850 is faster, uses less power, and can be had cheaper compared to the 6870. The 7850 also comes with more free games. There is no good reason to buy a 6870 right now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=41,81&sort=a5
  32. So all of these are for the same price ( 10€ up and down)...Is that first i5 better than i7 too? There are some games that already gain "real" benefits from more than 4 cores. Multi threading might come handy here? Just asking.
    Source: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,794274/From-Medal-of-Honor-to-Civ-5-17-Games-that-already-benefit-from-six-cores-CPUs/Reviews/
  33. Even in games that take advantage of more than 4 cores, they won't make up for the better performance of a 7850 over a 7770.
  34. A few games get real benefit from more than four threads, but there aren't any games that don't run perfectly fine on an i5 with a small overclock unless you are a 120Hz gamer.

i5 is not a better CPU than an i7 of the same architecture and the same or higher frequency, but the price difference is much higher than the performance difference even in workloads that can take advantage of Hyper-Threading on a quad core CPU.

Also, like logainofhades said, the difference in CPU performance between i5 and i7 LGA 1155 CPUs will never be as important as the graphics performance difference between a lower end card and a mid-ranged card such as a Radeon 7770 versus a Radeon 7850.
  35. blazorthon said:
    A few games get real benefit from more than four threads, but there aren't any games that don't run perfectly fine on an i5 with a small overclock unless you are a 120Hz gamer.

i5 is not a better CPU than an i7 of the same architecture and the same or higher frequency, but the price difference is much higher than the performance difference even in workloads that can take advantage of Hyper-Threading on a quad core CPU.

Also, like logainofhades said, the difference in CPU performance between i5 and i7 LGA 1155 CPUs will never be as important as the graphics performance difference between a lower end card and a mid-ranged card such as a Radeon 7770 versus a Radeon 7850.

No; all I need is fluid game not 120 FPS and my screen isnt that good either... Im not planing to overclock and for now I need to know if these computers are good enough for couple of years (5-7) without (or just a little of cheap things like RAM or something) upgrading ( for games like bf3, cod mw3, dirt3, gta (5 in september too) and some oldies =) ), and if its first computer (i7 on top of the page) is better or worse than first i5?
  36. Oh, my bad. The first computer in this thread is much better than the second computer of your post with two i5 systems, but is inferior to the first build in that same post. To clarify, the i5 build with the 7770 is still the winner for gaming.
  37. blazorthon said:
    Oh, my bad. The first computer in this thread is much better than the second computer of your post with two i5 systems, but is inferior to the first build in that same post. To clarify, the i5 build with the 7770 is still the winner for gaming.

So should I go with i5 with 7770? And how good will it be after couple of years without upgrading (at games/apps at that time)(5-7years with MAYBE (better not) little cheap upgrading like RAM)?
  38. The 7770 is still a lower end graphics card. It's not a bad card, but it's nothing special. It'll probably be comparable to an entry-level card in a two of three graphics generations. If you upgrade that 7770 two to four yeas down the road, then you'll probably still be fine (upgrade wouldn't need to cost more than $80 to $120) for your requested amount of time.
  39. tadej petric said:
    hello!

I just want to ask if this computer (below) will be good (mostly gaming and a bit of internet)? I want it to be good for about 5-7 years (30 fps after that time).

ANNI GAMER LQ i7-3770 Win8 Ed.

Intel Core i7 3770 3,4GHz
    Intel B75 motherboard
    8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ram (2*4gb)
    1 TB HDD SATA3
    GeForce GTX 650 1GB
    Windows 8

There wont be any overclocking. Maybe I will upgrade ram or graphics but i doubt.It will be huuuuuuuuuuuge upgrade for my pentium 4 with 384 mb ram...

Sorry for bad english; I'm from Slovenia :)

yea new game are 64bit now mean its going to star using more then 4cores like battlefield 4 use all 8 theards i have a i7 3770k at 4.2ghz bf4 use about 60% of cpu
  40. djangoringo said:
    The i7 won't bring any fps gain, it's wise going with an i5(same performance in gaming) and with a much better card, depending on the games and at what resolution, the 650 gtx isn't suffice, it's a low end card.

cpu is more used for AA and res
  41. Why are you necroing this thread? It's more than a year old!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming RAM Intel i7