Sign in with
Your question

Dual Displayport Video Card for ~$100

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2012 3:02:00 PM

I am looking for a video card for around $100 that will allows dual display through two displayports. I have recently bought these two monitor HP ZR22W 21.5" S-IPS LCD Monitors with a stand, and am looking an appropriate video card. My computer specs: Asus M4A88T-V EVO series mobo, Amd phenom II 955 be, 8 gigs of ram, 500 watt psu, standard hd and dvd drive. I am running windows 7. The video card would be used for general office work, excel, word, some light 2-D or 3-D work etc. If possible, I would like the video card to meet the following requirements.

Dual Displayport output (I don't believe my monitors allow daisy chaining the DP's)
Around $100 price tag
Low heat and noise levels

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 4:05:49 PM

Why not connect one with DP and the other one with DVI?

It would give you a wider choice of video cards. Personally I don't know any card with dual DP in sub $100 range.
Related resources
August 6, 2012 4:23:04 PM

I would not be opposed to connecting one with DVI-D and one with DP. It was my understanding that one of the advantages of DP was good multiple monitor support, but maybe that is not a viable option with my setup and price range.

Suggestions for video cards that meet my above criteria with a DP and DVI-D port.
August 6, 2012 5:59:59 PM

The price I gave was the price I thought would be necessary to buy a functional card. However, I have been looking online and saw some cards in the $40-60 dollar range that have both the DP and DVI. Anything, in particular, I should look for in a card? I don't mind to spend my I had budgeted, but if I can accomplish what I want for half the price, there is no reason to do so. Would these cards work?

GIGABYTE GV-R545D2-512D Radeon HD 5450 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card $30

JATON VIDEO-PX210-LX GeForce 210 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card $50

Refurb: ZOTAC ZT-40604-10L-PB-R GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $45
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 6, 2012 6:27:25 PM

I imagine that last one should work. the first one listed doesnt have a dvi port, or atleast the one i found when i copied and pasted it in didnt have it. if you arent doing anything that is very demanding of the graphics card, i think that these basic cards should serve you well
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 9:59:43 PM

Except the first one (no dvi as carowden pointed) they will be ok, if you don't intend to do any gaming.

Have a look at HIS H545H1GD1 Radeon HD 5450 Silence 1GB Low Profile:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's a model often recommended for htpcs. Its low profile, low power demanding, fanless card (no noise) and it will allow you to play some games.

Generally everything with dp & dvi on the market will work. In my opinion you should avoid cards with small fans - they are usually loud.
!