Will more cores in a CPU improve my gameplay?

Currently, I'm using a quad core processor and I notice that games like battlefield 3 bring all my cores up to about 75% usage. Will using a six core amd or 8 core amd bring those numbers down? I heard that most games arent made to use more than 4 cores. I also heard from a different source that amd uses some technology to spread the load out among all the cores. Which is correct?
17 answers Last reply
More about will cores improve gameplay
  1. No upgrading to 6 six core will not as there is no game which uses more than 4 core.but we have to know your specs?
  2. ASHISH65 said:
    No upgrading to 6 six core will not as there is no game which uses more than 4 core.but we have to know your specs?

Hi :)

Sorry but that's wrong...

BF3 can use at least 6 cores.... like my AMD 1100T (6 core)

All the best Brett :)
  3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106010

Thats the amd processor.

I'm currently running the intel 3570k. ive been wanting to switch to amd for other unrelated reasons. I'm just wondering if any game would take advantage of the cores
  4. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

Sorry but that's wrong...

BF3 can use at least 6 cores.... like my AMD 1100T (6 core)

All the best Brett :)

Does it actually use all six cores evenly? Or does it use 4 cores for just the game and the rest for system processes?
  5. it wont give better performance than 4cores. if thats ur question
  6. pyr0_m4n said:
    Does it actually use all six cores evenly? Or does it use 4 cores for just the game and the rest for system processes?

bf3 rarely utilize 4 cores.it can load 6 core but it will never utilize 6 core! See here - http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html
  7. it needs 4 cores to run properly.

;P
  8. better overclocks not true. also the 6300 is 120$# and the 3570k is 210-215ish.

like 100$ difference.
  9. oh i talt he dint have a cpu. derp. than ya i5 is the way to go. if u already have it.

ud actually be downgrading as dirty ferrz said.
  10. I am litle shocked that op want to upgrade the i5 3570
  11. i think he got the wrong information
  12. ASHISH65 said:
    I am litle shocked that op want to upgrade the i5 3570

It's not an upgrade for the cpu. i wanted a board with a chipset that could run more graphics cards in sli. the z77 chipset on my board has 16 pcie lanes while the 990fx chipset from amd has 40. i know that most cards dont use all the lanes currently, but this is future planning for when they do.
  13. u only need 2 16x or 2 times 8x lanes. for sli
  14. iceclock said:
    u only need 2 16x or 2 times 8x lanes. for sli

z77 chipset can only handle 1 set of 16x lanes. it can do 8x 8x, but i wanted two 16x. and only the x79 intel or amd 990fx can do that.
  15. i said for sli. also 8x-8x or 16x-16x doesnt mean jack in real world performance
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Games AMD Product