Sign in with
Your question

New Home Built Computer having a couple of problems.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2012 6:15:52 PM

I just recently built a new computer with the help of my friend.

Its specs are: -LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH24NS90 - OEM

-SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

-G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

-Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I72600

-Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

-MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

-ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

My Mouse and Keyboard are -Rosewill Gaming Keyboard RK-8100 -COOLER MASTER CM Storm Xornet SGM-2001-BLON1

I am running windows 7 ultimate x64

I've only had it for around a week as of right now. I have had several BSOD where the only message is "hardware failure. Contact Manufacturer." I had one today with a message, but when I went to get the log, it wasn't there.

Just today it BSOD while playing Dark souls and it completely locked up while playing Borderlands 2. Previously I've had it BSOD while on the internet and while editing with Audacity.

Last night I ran Memtest once on each ram stick and they both passed. I also ran furmark for a few minutes until my temp evened out.

Anyone know an easy way to diagnose what the issue is, or have any suggestions on what I can do? I'm running out of ideas and I really want to make my new comp work well.

At one point I discovered my CPU's fan wasn't working due to it hitting a wire so I fixed that.

After I tested both sticks with MemTest, I put both back in and started the computer. It wouldn't start and instead would only run for a few seconds and then power down and I think it would restart. I unplugged it and re-plugged it and it worked again. Is there any possibility that the power supply or motherboard could be the cause of all these problems? Is there anyway to test for either?

Just today I had my friend reseed most things in the computer. I also did a reformat, but now I notice that the computer clock won't stay set after I shut it off. It did this before, but now I'm wondering if it is related and maybe the motherboard is the issue.

More about : home built computer couple problems

a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2012 6:36:55 PM

hello havoc, I read your post and will analyze the info you've given me. Don't worry Tomshardware will help you fix this issue.

I noticed you said when you the ram sticks back in after testing them the computer had a issue? a hardware failure in a BSOD usually means well hardware gone wrong or something isn't making a complete connection.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2012 7:04:51 PM

New PC issues are a pain to diagnose sometimes. If it is a random reset it could be hard to troubleshoot. Can you cause the system to reset at will? Maybe download and run OCCT and run a stress test. Sometimes those test will purposefully cause a reset.

I'd try a few of these things.
1) Are you using the XMP profile for your memory? If so try the standard clock speed. I believe it is 1066. If this works it could be one of 2 things. It could be your RAM or CPU

2) Remove your video card and run with on board. Could be a weird issue with your video card. You can also try running an OCCT video test and turn on the option to show errors.

3) Run with one stick of RAM and if no issues, run with the other stick. If an issue with both you know it's probably not RAM... Unless both stick have an issue. (unlikely)

Past experience with building usually the first culprit is RAM, then Video card, then CPU, and then Mother board. I don't believe I have ever encountered a motherboard that failed so quickly or a Power Supply either. Typically failures in these I've seen are after quite a bit of use. Granted that is just my experiences.

I will share an experience I had when building my current system 3.5 years ago. I put it together and seemed fine. I ran tools to check stability and seemed fine. I ran games and the system performed very badly. I got one or two blue screens. At first I thought it was RAM so I underclocked it and it was fine. My buddy happened to have a triple set of RAM that was in his machine we we swapped. Mine was fine in his, and my PC has the same issue. So RAM was fine. Next we tested under clocking the RAM and that seemed to work just fine. We assumed it was the motherboard because we figured the CPU was either good or dead. I returned the mobo and got a replacement. Installed and same issue. We did some thinking and figured the only other thing could be the memory controller on my CPU. Since this was new with the i7 nehalem it was plausible. I returned the CPU, installed the replacement, and it ran perfect. A week later I OCed the poo out of it and have been running guns blazing ever since.

I have several other examples, but this was just a little story for you.
m
l
Related resources
September 26, 2012 10:02:44 PM

Ok. Thank you for the advice. I'll start running some of these tests and see what happens.

Do you think the time issue could be caused by something else or is that still just the MOBO? If so, since the MOBO is still in warranty, should I just return it for a replacement instead of buying a new battery?

Edit: Also I decided to try OCCT. Somone online reccomended trying the linkpack test firtst. After running it at 90% it lasted 3 minutes of the 15 I set it for and I received the message "Core 1 over maximum value! value reached: 86, Max Value 85." Does this mean my CPU is bad? I'm not really sure how to interpret it.

Also ran the PSU test and got the same message with Core 0 instead of 1 this time. Also got 1 with CPO occt test.

New Update. Was just sitting on my computer with Occt open and not running and the whole system froze up and I unplugged my peripherals and replugged then and also received a black screen with just the message Parity Error. Not sure what this means.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2012 3:34:59 AM

IF you are using the stock cooler the CPU temp will probably get pretty hot during this test. You can go into the settings (orange gear) and set the max temp to maybe 90 or 95.

Was the Parity Error from the bios or more like a windows message? I would try and underclock the memory and see if that helps. Then you know it's the RAM. Else, you can always contact where you bought it from and see if their return policy still covers it. I'd really start with RAM and see if that fixes it.
m
l
September 27, 2012 3:43:11 AM

The parity error was just a black screen with white text. Everything is still covered, so I think i might just try with the ram and slowly get replacement parts if other things don't work. Thank you for your help so far.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2012 5:23:28 PM

Yeah I think logically RAM is the best place to start. Cross your fingers and rub your rabbit foot. It's kind of the drag of building your own, but you learn from it.
m
l
!