Computer crashes when playing high graphics games

Hamsbaby

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hey everyone, title says it all computer restarts within a minute of the game being open (skyrim, max payne 3, etc.). I have gone into the system settings and unchecked the box (automatically restart when system failure) and that didnt seem to help as I got a white screen and then continued to restart. Next in the same settings I put the debugging information to none, which was followed by a BSOD. I have tryed changing my fan speed to its max and still nothing. I thought it was a overheating issue but temps dont exceed 80C. Any help is appreciated

Specs: Motherboard: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H
Video Card: Radeon HD 4870
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor 3.4 GHz
PSU: OCZ 600w

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You are describing the classic symptoms of a heat and/or power issue. How are you measuring your system temps?

You could also have a failing GPU or PSU. Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, or memory)? If so, revert to stock and see if the system stabilizes.

Please clarify.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Revert back to stock CPU and GPU speeds to see if the system is stable. The HD4870 is a very power hungry (and sensitive) video card, especially when compared to newer video cards. Overclocking makes this even worse.

If the system starts running stable at stock speeds we can start trying to isolate the specific problem. I suspect the HD4870 or PSU. How old are they?

go into the CCC over drive section. enable manual fan speed and set it to run at 37%.

keeping the card from getting too hot is the key I think. Fan running at a constant speed from the giddy yup should help vs letting the card get too hot before the fan speed picks up.

and check the card for dust/lint build up internally.

Hamsbaby

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

not sure

I did and it still reset

Tryed the fan speed at 100% and still restarted

pull the heat sink and fan on the processor. clean off old and reapply thermal paste and reinstall heat sink.

and are you sure there's not lint build up on any of the heat sinks ?.......... and did you check the heat sink under the video cards shroud ? ( remove and replace )

glad you did the processor................ now to the second part of my post. are you sure there aren't any dust balls blocking the heatsink fins under the shroud of the video card. pull video card apart, reapply thermal paste and clean the dust build up of the fins of the heat sink and reassemble. How does it work now ?

Hamsbaby

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

tried the integrated everything seemed fine except the onboard is not good enough to run anything, and when i put the other 4870 in, it didnt even turn on.

yes i cleaned it very well before putting on the paste (toothpick + toothbrush)

Hamsbaby

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

alright any suggestions for a new one?

yup cleaned everything