Whats is i5 3570k's AMD equivalent for overclocking and FPS performan

al10677

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Well, the title says it all i understand that AMD cpus open alot more terms in the sense of a better GPU and RAM and HDD and SDD e.t.c But si there an AMD equivalent of an i5 3570k?

Games Cpu's will be used on: BF3, Far Cry 3, AC3, BO2...........E.T.C

Solution
Well the FX 8350 is faster than the i5 3570K in most things, but not really in gaming.
You can achieve the same performance with the AMD CPU, but in order to do that you must overclock.
This is a CPU test of Far Cry 3.
http://www.techspot.com/review/615-far-cry-3-performance/page6.html
As you can see, the AMD provides significantly lower FPS then the i7, at low frequencies but in an enthusiast system, when both are overclocked to say 4.8 GHZ the results will be on par.
Far Cry 3 is a good example of a well optimised game, but all games are different.
For example in extremely optimised games such as Battlefield 3, the AMD will outperform the Intel, but in most cases it will always trail slightly behind.

And yes there's the power...

svengeguttensen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
The closest analog would be AMD's highest-spec chip (FX-8350), but it's somewhat inferior in performance to the i5-3570K in most workloads and requires 125w just to run at stock speed. For comparison, the i5 only requires 77w. You can imagine how that extrapolates when you O/C it...

Anyhow, I guess if you have a very well ventilated case, enough money for a high-end air cooler, and relatively low rates per KW/h from your electric company you could go with the FX-8350. But I wouldn't.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Well the FX 8350 is faster than the i5 3570K in most things, but not really in gaming.
You can achieve the same performance with the AMD CPU, but in order to do that you must overclock.
This is a CPU test of Far Cry 3.
http://www.techspot.com/review/615-far-cry-3-performance/page6.html
As you can see, the AMD provides significantly lower FPS then the i7, at low frequencies but in an enthusiast system, when both are overclocked to say 4.8 GHZ the results will be on par.
Far Cry 3 is a good example of a well optimised game, but all games are different.
For example in extremely optimised games such as Battlefield 3, the AMD will outperform the Intel, but in most cases it will always trail slightly behind.

And yes there's the power consumption question. If you're a dedicated gamer, the AMD is gonna cost you around 5-10 dolars extra compared to the Intel.

Solution

plasmaj12345

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

The FX 8350 really only performs better in applications that use the 8 cores, while the i5 3570k performs better in applications that use 4 or less cores. Since most gaming uses less cores, the i5 3570k wins by default. Overclocking will set them farther apart due to the 77w of the i5 vs. the 125w of the FX. With the same amount of power, you can overclock the i5 farther in performance.

plasmaj12345

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Also, Intel has better architecture per core, allowing each core to be more efficient than the 8350. The less power that is used for the i5 is worth the extra $20 -$30, since you will save more money in the long run than with the 8350.

TRENDING THREADS