GSM Phone blocking policy in the UK?

Someone here in Australia has been allegedly caught out selling blocked
UK phones here. He claims they are blocked because of non-payment of
bills. Can anyone in the UK confirm or deny if this happens as here in
Australia phones are only blocked if lost or stolen.

--
73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
http://www.aca.gov.au/pls/radcom/licence_search.licence_lookup?pLICENCE_NO=207156

    Simon Templar wrote:
    > Someone here in Australia has been allegedly caught out selling blocked
    > UK phones here. He claims they are blocked because of non-payment of
    > bills. Can anyone in the UK confirm or deny if this happens as here in
    > Australia phones are only blocked if lost or stolen.

    I don't think they do block if the bill isnt paid, i mean when you take
    out a contract the phone is your property from day 1 you are just paying
    for the calls and sim card, i think its more likely in the event of
    unpaid bills the provider would just block the sim card, the only reason
    i know of blocking here in the uk is on lost or stolen phones as you said.

    Lee

    "Simon Templar" <vk3xem@vk3xem.net> wrote in message
    > Someone here in Australia has been allegedly caught out selling blocked
    > UK phones here. He claims they are blocked because of non-payment of
    > bills. Can anyone in the UK confirm or deny if this happens as here in
    > Australia phones are only blocked if lost or stolen.

    Normally happens as you say if lost or stolen. Once the IMEI is blocked, the
    phones can be shipped outside of Europe and be operational - it's quite a
    lucrative business.

    DISCLAIMER:
    I am only pointing out facts, I do not support this kind of behavior in any
    way.

    ....Just in case my employers are watching :)

    --
    Antz,
    Part of the UKtm family

    Might be better posted at uk.telecom.mobile

    --
    Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration.

Nokia Policy Phones GSM