Desktop Background won't accept JPG?

I have two computers, both running XP Home SP 1. On the desktop at
home, I use a JPG image as my Desktop Background.

On the laptop at school, I can't use a JPG. I have to use a BMP. The
BMP file is about 7 times larger than the JPG file.

Question: How do I tweak the laptop to let me use a JPG file as a
Desktop background?

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net
3 answers Last reply
More about desktop background accept

    In article <n0phh11rtg26s1p8at2ant4tv62tgu2v1p@4ax.com>, <*(((><{
    favored us with...
    > I have two computers, both running XP Home SP 1. On the desktop at
    > home, I use a JPG image as my Desktop Background.
    >
    > On the laptop at school, I can't use a JPG. I have to use a BMP. The
    > BMP file is about 7 times larger than the JPG file.
    >
    > Question: How do I tweak the laptop to let me use a JPG file as a
    > Desktop background?

    AFAIK, you can't. Only a BMP is acceptable.

    An easy way to avoid doing the conversion yourself: open the image in
    your browser, right-click it, and select "Set as wallpaper". I
    believe in MSIE that's "Set as background".

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Windows only works in bmp files in memory. Therefore your jpeg file is a bmp file in memory. So the size is the same in memory use. Your school admin disallowed jpeg or gifs.

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d82d16f84ce20e49896cc@news.individual.net...
    > In article <n0phh11rtg26s1p8at2ant4tv62tgu2v1p@4ax.com>, <*(((><{
    > favored us with...
    >> I have two computers, both running XP Home SP 1. On the desktop at
    >> home, I use a JPG image as my Desktop Background.
    >>
    >> On the laptop at school, I can't use a JPG. I have to use a BMP. The
    >> BMP file is about 7 times larger than the JPG file.
    >>
    >> Question: How do I tweak the laptop to let me use a JPG file as a
    >> Desktop background?
    >
    > AFAIK, you can't. Only a BMP is acceptable.
    >
    > An easy way to avoid doing the conversion yourself: open the image in
    > your browser, right-click it, and select "Set as wallpaper". I
    > believe in MSIE that's "Set as background".

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
    > been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/

    Thanks for the explanation. I'll just leave it be.

    <*((((><{
    Fishy@Ocean.Net

    In the last exciting episode on Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:25:03 +1000, "David
    Candy" <.> wrote:

    >Windows only works in bmp files in memory. Therefore your jpeg file is a bmp file in memory. So the size is the same in memory use. Your school admin disallowed jpeg or gifs.
    >
    >--
    >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d82d16f84ce20e49896cc@news.individual.net...
    >> In article <n0phh11rtg26s1p8at2ant4tv62tgu2v1p@4ax.com>, <*(((><{
    >> favored us with...
    >>> I have two computers, both running XP Home SP 1. On the desktop at
    >>> home, I use a JPG image as my Desktop Background.
    >>>
    >>> On the laptop at school, I can't use a JPG. I have to use a BMP. The
    >>> BMP file is about 7 times larger than the JPG file.
    >>>
    >>> Question: How do I tweak the laptop to let me use a JPG file as a
    >>> Desktop background?
    >>
    >> AFAIK, you can't. Only a BMP is acceptable.
    >>
    >> An easy way to avoid doing the conversion yourself: open the image in
    >> your browser, right-click it, and select "Set as wallpaper". I
    >> believe in MSIE that's "Set as background".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    >> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    >> "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
    >> been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/

Configuration Laptops Desktops Customization Windows XP