Intel Turbo Boost Messing it up !

Toshibian Mess

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
i have a toshiba laptop p770 ( with the latest drivers and bios version and it was recently cleaned so it's free of dust and it has win 7 64bit ) with an intel processor
i7-2670qm which uses intel turbo boost to oc from 2.2 to 3.1 ...

i have been experiencing some lag, stuttering, freezes and audio loop .. in gaming and in video playing and editing ( pretty much everything lags ) even counter strike 1.6 which is a very old game, However i didn't experience any problems with
DmC ( devil may cry 5 ), which was stable, i noticed that it only uses 1.6ghz ( with cpu-z ) and that it's locked at that speed ... so i did some research and ended up disabling intel turbo boost from the bios, the processor was running at a stable 2.2Ghz and everything ran just fine, the problem is fixed, except 2.2ghz isn't enough for me, i need the turbo boost so that i can reach 3.1ghz ...

i need a way to fix the turbo boost problem OR get rid of it completely and overclock my cpu to 3.0GHz ... ( let's assume heat is not an issue )

( in case you need it, my gpu is nvidia gt540m )

popatim

Titan
turbo boost does not usually come into play if all 4 cores are being used because the processor gets too hot too fast.
3.1 is for if only 1 core is being used
I'm guessing because I couldnt find the exact turbo steps but its probably something like 2.9ghz for 2 cores and 2.5ghz for 3 cores active.

Toshibian Mess

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
i forgot to mention that the game i used to test ( cs 1.6 ) uses only 1 processor core, but it's the same deal with pretty much all games and the media player and even chrome sometimes ....

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Go here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

See if Intel gives you the option to update to a newer, generic, driver. See if that helps. If not I am 100% sure its compatibly issue. And I mean the BIOS, the chipset, and the driver are not compatible with each other. Maybe the driver introduced a new feature where the way it changes between frequencies is a little bit different, but the BIOS has not been updated to support that difference.