Sign in with
Your question

Video Card Works in 1 System, Not Another

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2012 6:24:50 PM

I have a Q9450 w/4GB RAM on a Maximus Formula & an XFX HD6970. Works great, no issues.

I bought an ASRock Extreme4 z77 w/an i5 3570K, 16GB RAM, Vertex 4. I assembled it and it seems to run great, no issues w/onboard video. I put the 6970 in to finish the build and I get no video, no beeps, no nothing. Both PCIe power cables are plugged in. I tried unplugging each one and booting and the fan kicks into high speed and the system beeps, as it should. The PSU is a new OCZ ZT 750W modular.

I have a 3870 and put it in the Extreme4 (only 1 power cable), booted and video works. Thinking I could have damaged the 6970, I put it back into the Maximus but it still displays video with no problem.

I *think* I still have a 4870 laying around somewhere that I may try since it's a double slot/double power card. Or attempt using the PCIe from the other PSU to see if maybe it's the new OCZ, I tried all 4 PCIe modular cables and all 4 PCIe slots on the PSU. I guess it could still be under powered by the PSU but I'd think it would beep.

Just looking for other suggestions on what to try when I dive back into it tonight after work.

Thanks for any help! :) 
a c 228 U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 8:00:35 PM

Did you connect the 4/8 pin aux power connector firmly into the appropriate socket on the motherboard? Double check that and try agan.
m
l
August 6, 2012 8:15:46 PM

COLGeek said:
Did you connect the 4/8 pin aux power connector firmly into the appropriate socket on the motherboard? Double check that and try agan.

Thanks for the reply! I will reseat the connector, I'm fairly certain I checked it when I first connected it but definitely something else to check. :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 228 U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 8:19:09 PM

Yep, those can be a little tricky. Worth a check.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 8:35:48 PM

Is your computer perhaps still trying to use the onboard video?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 8:53:53 PM

djscribbles said:
Is your computer perhaps still trying to use the onboard video?

+1 this is my bet too. Have you installed AMD drivers yet? Might try that. If not check bios.
m
l
August 6, 2012 8:54:37 PM

I think you've got a good idea in trying the 4870; if one of your power cables to the card is bad, that would explain it.

Do you have access to a different PSU you can test your new build with?
m
l
August 6, 2012 10:41:38 PM

seamus_ar said:
I think you've got a good idea in trying the 4870; if one of your power cables to the card is bad, that would explain it.

Do you have access to a different PSU you can test your new build with?

That looks like where I'm heading. The 4870 worked fine, installed drivers on boot up, rebooted fine. Plugged the 6970 in, blank. It appears that it's booting into Windows. based on pressing the power button and it takes a few seconds to shutdown.

I have the PSU from the 9450 that will work fine with this system (it's less than a year old), I just bought the OCZ b/c it was a good price and I wanted modular.

Thanks again for the suggestions. :sol: 
m
l
August 7, 2012 3:11:00 AM

Maybe someone can answer the why but I got it working finally. I pulled out an HDMI cable and tried that (since I never cared to swap to HDMI). After the drivers for the card were installed on HDMI, it allowed me to connect both moniters via DVI. I recall on 4870 & Windows 7, it required me to connect a VGA cable (with the converter) before it would work, and I tried that on this one.
m
l
!