Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Cost and GPU Suggestion

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2012 8:31:49 PM

Hey all!

Thank you for reading this post, I extremely appreciate it. I could go on forever, but I'll get straight into it if you guys/gals don't mind. :)  This thread is to ask you guys/gals if the upgrade price is reasonable, or whether I should purchase a new computer all together; and if you guys/gals could suggest me a graphics card under a budget. I'll explain all this later on the thread. Thank you. :) 

I've had my current computer for the past 7 years, and it's still perfectly stable (if not better, since I've upgraded it as much as I can; it's all "maxed-out"). I'd like to upgrade my computer in order to watch HD videos, and play some games when I have free time.

My current specs are:
ASRock P4i45GV R5.0 motherboard, on Socket 478 @ 533/400FSB
Intel® Pentium™ 4® with Hyper-Threading, 3.06GHz @ 3.4GHz (S-Spec: SL6PG) - Single-core
2048MB (2GB) DDR1 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GPU with 128MB video memory
Windows 7 Ultimate.

I can't upgrade the computer any more, not even the graphics card, since it's all the best my current motherboard can take. So I'm considering if I should upgrade, and if I do so, I will change the motherboard; therefore I will also have to change CPU, RAM and GPU (I've already chosen a motherboard, which is under a budget; feel free to state if it's a bad decision).

The upgrade I had in mind:
MSI 945GM4-FI motherboard, on Socket 775 @ 533/800/1066 FSB
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6700 @ 2.66GHz - Dual-Core
4096MB (4GB) DDR2 Memory
Unsure of GPU
Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

The upgrade would cost me £85; that's without a GPU. What do you think? Do you think I should look for a different combination of motherboard, CPU, and RAM? Or purchase a new computer all together? Also, would you be able to suggest me a graphics card which keeps my budget within £100?; or around that area, which is capable of playing HD videos, and some games, such as CoD: Black Ops (I understand this game is quite demanding, but this maybe the most demanding game I'll be playing).

That should be all I have to say, haha. If something above didn't make sense, please let me know. Thank you, and I appreciate all responses. :) 

More about : upgrade cost gpu suggestion

September 26, 2012 9:04:25 PM

I can't edit the above post, but should I go for this upgrade instead? Please let me know:

ASRock N68C-S UCC, on Socket AM2/AM3@ 1000 MHz FSB (2.0 GT/s)
AMD Athlon II X2 215 @ 2.7GHz (Dual-Core)
8192MB (8GB) DDR3 Memory
Unsure of GPU
Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

I can upgrade to the above for £92. So I may have to extend my budget a little for a GPU. Also do you think a 300-watt PSU is adequate?

Thank you.
September 26, 2012 9:19:04 PM

New computer IMO, certainly not a core 2. Those are what 5 years old, i.e. ancient.
!