Best cpu upgrade for ibm aptiva

Hello, I have an old IBM Aptiva 2174-595 with an AMD Athlon 600 MHz processor. What is the best CPU I can replace this with assuming something is still available? I don't want to spend a lot of money as I am only using it in my garage. It's just soooo slow on the internet. Thanks for your advice.
6 answers Last reply
More about best upgrade aptiva
  1. Hi :)

Too old for a cpu.... increase the ram though, it WILL make a huge difference...

All the best Brett :)
  2. The internet is slow because of there is a lot of code that the CPU must process which basically slows everything down. Sure you can install a faster CPU from the same era, but it will still be slow at processing code.

CPUs have advanced a lot... and not only just in the speed, but also how efficiently in can process instructions. A modern day 1.8GHz CPU is much more than 3x faster than a 600MHz CPU from the days of yore; significantly more. Unfortunately, even installing a 1.2GHz AMD CPU from that era would still mean the internet will still be crawling.
  3. It has one stick of 128 MB and two sticks of 256 MB. I could replace the 128 with a 256 but I think that is all it can take. Do you think it would make much difference? Guess it's just being all it can be.
  4. What operating system?

You might try a really lightweight linux and then tell it not to load any multimedia.

There's nothing you can do that will make it perform even 1/10 as fast as a modern $50 processor.
  5. I'm using XP Home. I'm not tech savvy enough to do much more than plug things in like memory and maybe a CPU. I guess the old IBM is good enough to do the things I need to do in my garage... look up car parts and ask questions on old car forums. I have a MAC Pro in the house for the other stuff. Thanks to everyone for all their help!
  6. Really almost ANYTHING is going to be faster than what you have now. There are some pretty cheap refurbished deals out there for very little money.

This is a pretty low end Single core Celeron, but it's 5-6x faster than what you have now and has 8x the RAM for only $70: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=OPTI-360-CEL20-PB-R&cat=SYS

Or this is about 3-4x faster than the one above for about $150: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=OPTI-740-A6425X2-R&cat=SYS
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors IBM Product