Best cpu upgrade for ibm aptiva

bluemeanie123

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello, I have an old IBM Aptiva 2174-595 with an AMD Athlon 600 MHz processor. What is the best CPU I can replace this with assuming something is still available? I don't want to spend a lot of money as I am only using it in my garage. It's just soooo slow on the internet. Thanks for your advice.

The internet is slow because of there is a lot of code that the CPU must process which basically slows everything down. Sure you can install a faster CPU from the same era, but it will still be slow at processing code.

CPUs have advanced a lot... and not only just in the speed, but also how efficiently in can process instructions. A modern day 1.8GHz CPU is much more than 3x faster than a 600MHz CPU from the days of yore; significantly more. Unfortunately, even installing a 1.2GHz AMD CPU from that era would still mean the internet will still be crawling.

bluemeanie123

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
It has one stick of 128 MB and two sticks of 256 MB. I could replace the 128 with a 256 but I think that is all it can take. Do you think it would make much difference? Guess it's just being all it can be.

bluemeanie123

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I'm using XP Home. I'm not tech savvy enough to do much more than plug things in like memory and maybe a CPU. I guess the old IBM is good enough to do the things I need to do in my garage... look up car parts and ask questions on old car forums. I have a MAC Pro in the house for the other stuff. Thanks to everyone for all their help!

twelve25

Distinguished

TRENDING THREADS