Pci, pciexpress or usb for windows 7 x64 wireless

harveywb

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hello,
Having problems with win7 x64 and wireless connection! It connects if I go down stairs and then the signal is good enough to connect. I have a Trendnet router TEW-639GR. My win 7 computer has two pci cards wireless in desktop case, one is "n" the other is "g" neither connects wireless to my wifi network where all my xp machines connect fine and they are all within 3 feet of each other. I have mostly "g" cards RT2500 in two of the xp computers and there is a different type of antenna on each of the xp machines but they connect and functional with wireless that I am presently working now. Why is win7 different?

There's no obvious reason why the Win7 machine should be different, but then we're only getting your description of the problem. Perhaps something else *is* different and we'd notice it if we were there, in person.

Since you say all the computers are within 3 ft of each other, you might want to consider using one of the XP machines as a bridge. Assuming both the XP and Win7 machine have wired ethernet adapters, run a patch cable between them and bridge the XP machine's wired and wireless connections (see Network Connections, select both adapters, right click, select Bridge Connections). Granted, that requires the XP machine be running whenever the Win7 machine needs network access, but under some circumstances it might be a viable solution (at least until you determine the underlying problem).

There's also the option to use a wireless repeater. Of course, that doesn't explain why the XP machine doesn't need a repeater and Win7 does, but barring more information that might provide a clue to the underlying problem, it might solve the problem.

harveywb

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

The computers are similar. All are AMD different speeds different memory with each xp pro having both 64 bit and 32 bit windows, most of them have linux and the wireless works for them, too. All the versions work wireless except for win7 x64, it is home premium, and I don't have an x32 version of win7. I have 16 gbytes of ddr3 in the win7 x64 machine. The win7 x64 is the fastest machine 3.2 ghz AMD 955 black edition. I would like to use the wireless cards from the xp machines in the win7 machine but they are too old and do not work with the new machine per the "update to win7" program. I did order another wireless card and it will be getting here sometime this week for the win7 machine. I have found out that all wireless cards are not created equal. The ones in the win7 machine are the ones that don't work as good as the wireless cards in the xp machines. In fact the "n" card in the win7 x64 is the same brand to one that works in the xp machine but the card in the xp machine is a "g" version. I didn't want to say the name/brand.

harveywb

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I booted parted magic 6.7 the x86_64 version on CD and it boot fine as usual. I stared the WICD, network manager to connect to my wifi and I connected to the internet. I am writing this response from FireFox 6.02 and all is fine. I have been on the wifi for over 11 minutes now and I am very surprised. I don't know which version of the wireless cards I am communicating but I will try to discover that also. :pt1cable:

Why doesn't win7 connect with the same hardware????

I did not move the machine or make any changes. Doesn't make sense!! The card I am using is the "n" one, the light is on the card. Something is not right with win7 x64.

Here is a ipconfig on both machines. It looks like I am connected on the windows 7 side but windows doesn't see the internet. Either 6 or 6 but I am receiving packets on the windows 7 side.

Windows 7
G:\Users\Stephen>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WIN7AMD955PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-54-8B-CA-73
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11n Wireless LAN Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-54-8B-CA-72
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a864:6114:ecfa:b98a%18(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.102(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 04, 2011 9:44:35 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:44:35 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 469764180
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-22-8F-AD-00-25-11-C6-F0-B4
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Xp wireless
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : single-630amd
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-11-C6-F0-B4

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-44-A2-FA-69
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 04, 2011 9:16:10 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 05, 2011 9:16:10 AM

harveywb

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I got a new wireless pci card, and two antennae that were made by AirLink. I removed the old "n" pci card and installed the new one and put the antennae on the connections and now I have internet access :bounce: . I looked all over the internet for three days and tried many things but I thought it was a distance thing and the new antennae brought enough signal that I can have access to the internet. I am not 50 or 60 feet from my wifi router but I have many walls and floor between the two. Windows 7 is different from the other OS's. I am writing this from the win7 x64 machine. I did remove the two antennae from the card and put the extended antennae on the device. Hope this helps someone else.